FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

On 2/3/2017 at 11:23 PM, gringe said:

IIRC a lot of the Link Arena would be a big pain/something I can't do with my current knowledge, so although I'd like to, I can't say for sure.

A couple points I've realized since making the last post (thanks bookofholsety):

• I won't consider the names on the website official until the characters are actually released in FE Heroes. Murdock was apparently called "Marduk" previously? It seems to me that Nintendo isn't considering the names on the site final, so I won't either.
  • "Gwendolyn" actually won't fit within the constraints of the GBA games character limits on certain screens, which means we have a couple options.
  1. Hack the screens that won't fit to make "Gwendolyn" fit (not something I can do)
  2. Make her "character name" a nickname and have characters call her "Gwendolyn" in the story. (Bors, being a doting older brother, would probably call her her nickname.) We have a couple options for her nickname.
    1. Wendy (as is)
    2. Gwen
    3. Gwendy

I feel like Gwen or Gwendy would make it more immediately obvious it's a contraction of Gwendolyn to the average person who comes here from Heroes, for my 2 cents. We'd end up to a similar situation to Lyn, who's officially designated in the game data and unit listing as "Lyn", which is an affectionate nickname people close to her like Hector and Florina use, but who's full name is Lyndis and is called as such in the main story

although, quite unlike Gwendolyn, she's known officially as "Lyn" in other media with her full name thrown to the wayside.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On February 3, 2017 at 8:23 PM, gringe said:

IIRC a lot of the Link Arena would be a big pain/something I can't do with my current knowledge, so although I'd like to, I can't say for sure.

A couple points I've realized since making the last post (thanks bookofholsety):

• I won't consider the names on the website official until the characters are actually released in FE Heroes. Murdock was apparently called "Marduk" previously? It seems to me that Nintendo isn't considering the names on the site final, so I won't either.
  • "Gwendolyn" actually won't fit within the constraints of the GBA games character limits on certain screens, which means we have a couple options.
  1. Hack the screens that won't fit to make "Gwendolyn" fit (not something I can do)
  2. Make her "character name" a nickname and have characters call her "Gwendolyn" in the story. (Bors, being a doting older brother, would probably call her her nickname.) We have a couple options for her nickname.
    1. Wendy (as is)
    2. Gwen
    3. Gwendy

Actually, they did fixed Murdock's name along with Niime's in the site. I totally think you should change the other playable characters's names as of right now and then fix them later if they got them wrong in Heroes. Also, maybe try to shrink Gwendolyn's name, I don't remember if Emphriam was still the same with the others or not in The Sacred Stones since his name was long also?

Edited by King Marth 64

On 2/6/2017 at 11:51 AM, King Marth 64 said:

Actually, they did fixed Murdock's name along with Niime's in the site. I totally think you should change the other playable characters's names as of right now and then fix them later if they got them wrong in Heroes. Also, maybe try to shrink Gwendolyn's name, I don't remember if Emphriam was still the same with the others or not in The Sacred Stones since his name was long also?

He said "previously", as if he's acknowledging the names are subject to change. At this point it's hard to gauge if it would be more effort to do what you suggested or to change them as they come, and there's still names on the official site that contradict official localizations for other games to add uncertainty too

On that note, can we have a full list of FE6 only characters that appear in Heroes, like our dear Gwendolyn and Fir?

On 2/8/2017 at 6:29 AM, Jerek said:

The FE6 characters showing up in Heroes at the moment are:

Roy

Lilina

Shanna

Clarine

Gwendolyn

Fir

Bartre

Raigh

Cecilia

Sophia

Fae

Narcian

Zephiel

https://i.imgur.com/7guBic9.jpg

Thea and Juno confirmed as names. Keep an eye out for FE6 unit quotes like this.

3 hours ago, Jerek said:

Yeah, will do. Thea was called Thite on the voting website so who knows what else they changed

Yup, at this point the voting website names have basically been thrown from a five story window.

so far, Heroes has been consistent with the Awakening and Blazing Blade names right? (Can't believe heroes finally gave us an English title for 7 lol)

6 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Yup, at this point the voting website names have basically been thrown from a five story window.

so far, Heroes has been consistent with the Awakening and Blazing Blade names right? (Can't believe heroes finally gave us an English title for 7 lol)

Yeah, didnt find any inconsistencies

Also I'll be more than willing to buy a flashcart and test the updated patch on real GBA and Game Boy Player hardware.

if there's anything specific I need to be on the lookout for let me know, but I will probably end up using the companion numbers patch

With the creator's permission, i would love to help updating the patch. I have lots of free time at the moment and would be more than happy to update the names in the patch. Tested on my own game and it looked great. Let me know if you want my help :)

11 hours ago, Jerek said:

With the creator's permission, i would love to help updating the patch. I have lots of free time at the moment and would be more than happy to update the names in the patch. Tested on my own game and it looked great. Let me know if you want my help :)

This is completely dependant on what Gringe says if it'll be implemented but have you been able to clean up the Link Arena/Could you clean up the Link Arena so it isn't a mess?

Hey just want to prelude my question with a Huge Thanks for the fan translation. Much appreciated, I played it back in 2012, and was really happy to finally be able to play this title.

I'm currently looking for a high res image of the translated logo if someone could help me out. Trying to make some custom box art for this game, and I've seen repro carts use a high res image for their labels and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find this. My standard google searches haven't pulled anything fruitful other than seeing the logo on other images. Can anyone help me out here?

I don't think anyone expected otherwise, since it's based off of an actual mythological weapon, but Heroes officially correctly refers to the sword wielded by Zephiel as Eckesachs. I believe this is the first time the sword's name has been used in English unless there's some obscure reference to it in Blazing Blade that I am unaware of.

Since this is the name used in the patch, that means nothing changes here. I probably wouldn't otherwise report it, but this is something an older patch got wrong, I don't think there's any harm in confirming it directly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone has attempted this or asked this in the thread already, but does anyone know how to apply this translation patch on a ROM to be played on an Android emulator? Would be open to suggestions, appreciate it!

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. 

Edited by Heliosan
Figured out how to do it myself.

• 2 months later...

Hello there. I just recently came accross this translation for the GBA and applied the ups patch to the japanese ROM. What confuses me slightly is the fact that the patch added some data beyond the 128Mbit barrier even though there was plenty of zero-padding well before that mark. See the screenshot of the hex view of the file attached. Is this data really relevant? What purpose does this serve? The reason I am asking is that my Flash2Advance is only 128Mbit and since this rom is bigger than that I can not flash it to the card and play it on original hardware.

I tried deleting the section marked in red and the game would still boot, I am just wondering if removing this makes the game break somehow in later stages.

CD6u2Hv.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that's FEditor's fault.  I remember trying at some point to correct this just by tweaking its config and it seemed to work for a while.  But then it started appending new text after 16 MB again.

Unfortunately, you really need that last portion of the code.  It contains the latest text edits that Gringe did.  If you truncate this, the game will most probably crash when it tries to display the text that was supposed to be there.

1 hour ago, PikmTheHero said:

Pretty sure Klein was already in FE Heroes at this point

Nope, Klein was not in it at launch, which Clarine was.

Why even respond like that though?

Edited by Dayni

Hello, I tried to apply this patch to a ROM but ran into a problem. Whenever I would try to apply it to the ROM using NUPS, I would get the message "The patch doesn't match the file". I decided to select Ignore and patch it anyway but when I would try to play it on my Android GBA emulator, I would get the message "Unrecognized GBA file". Then I tried playing it on my desktop's GBA emulator but it would not play the game either (it says its an unsupported file). Is there something I did wrong? I'll appreciate your help.

Edited by Junno
additioinal information

16 hours ago, Junno said:

Hello, I tried to apply this patch to a ROM but ran into a problem. Whenever I would try to apply it to the ROM using NUPS, I would get the message "The patch doesn't match the file". I decided to select Ignore and patch it anyway but when I would try to play it on my Android GBA emulator, I would get the message "Unrecognized GBA file". Then I tried playing it on my desktop's GBA emulator but it would not play the game either (it says its an unsupported file). Is there something I did wrong? I'll appreciate your help.

Where are you getting your rom from? (describe, please don't link)

16 hours ago, Junno said:

Where are you getting your rom from? (describe, please don't link)

I got two from different sites, but ROMs are in Japanese. I tested them and they work but won't open once I apply the patch. Was I supposed to unzip the patch before applying it to the ROM with NUPS?