FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JamesBCrazy said:

If we need a nickname for Gwendolyn, why not just... use Wendy?

Hah, that is one option.

The only issue I could see is that, even if it works in context, people who are familiar with the Wendy⇒Gwendolyn change may find it distracting or even think it's a mistake in the patch.

I would probably go with Gwen or Gwendy, but I don't know if I will anywhere. It seems like it might be fitting in Astolfo's support conversation, but there aren't too many others where people are so casual with her. Even her brother Bors, although he's overprotective, doesn't exactly talk to her casually.

1 hour ago, Roy31802 said:

what do I do, I don't want to play it on my computer, i want to play it on my GBA?

I don't think it works that way? I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, you can't get patched cartridges of the game.

1 minute ago, Roy31802 said:

Is there any reproduction cartridges with this patch?

I know that there are some, I mean theres sword of seals and theres also a binding blade cartridge as a reproduction a5 leas5 from what I saw online, which one should I get?

Edited by Roy31802
To add more information and context.

5 hours ago, Roy31802 said:

Is there any reproduction cartridges with this patch?

Repro carts are basically pure piracy and involve someone putting a ROM onto a flash cart then selling it at a marked up price for a profit, so I cannot condone that.

I think you would be better off just getting a flash cart and putting the ROM on it yourself. Google will give you good results. A word of warning however: I have never attempted playing the localization patch on actual hardware, so I can’t say if it’ll actually work.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm having an issue with cheats. I want to hack in Armads into the game because I forgot about the 12x Gaiden chapter and I want to get the true ending. The game is not letting me. However doing the same cheat process, on the unpatched version of the ROM does work...I can hack Armads in right from the Prologue chapter after a soft reset after setting the cheat. So is something about the patch restricting the cheats or something? I just need Armads so bad lol

17 hours ago, Sigurd's Lost Son said:

So I'm having an issue with cheats. I want to hack in Armads into the game because I forgot about the 12x Gaiden chapter and I want to get the true ending. The game is not letting me. However doing the same cheat process, on the unpatched version of the ROM does work...I can hack Armads in right from the Prologue chapter after a soft reset after setting the cheat. So is something about the patch restricting the cheats or something? I just need Armads so bad lol

I'm not sure. tabachanker is working on fixing a couple glitches in the game, some of which were introduced by FEditor, which seems to have injected more code into the game than we previously realized. We did not intentionally prevent cheats, but something introduced from FEditor may have inadvertently done so.

5 hours ago, gringe said:

I'm not sure. tabachanker is working on fixing a couple glitches in the game, some of which were introduced by FEditor, which seems to have injected more code into the game than we previously realized. We did not intentionally prevent cheats, but something introduced from FEditor may have inadvertently done so.

Yeah that makes sense. Is there any way you think I can fix that issue? Maybe if I tried it at different points of the game? I just really want this true ending lol. 

7 minutes ago, Sigurd's Lost Son said:

Yeah that makes sense. Is there any way you think I can fix that issue? Maybe if I tried it at different points of the game? I just really want this true ending lol. 

There may be some way to do it, for example, using Nightmare or FEBuilder to put Armads into the inventory of a unit who hasn't yet joined, but it's possible there are other triggers involved with getting the true ending. I don't know if simply having Armads would be enough to solve your problem.

The only surefire way is the old-fashioned way, I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

Since Geese is coming in Fire Emblem Heroes for the new Pirates Banner. I'll might take a look and see if he got any new localized name info that wasn't been covered yet. Also, speaking of which, where does Gwendolyn gets a nickname in her conversation dialogue with, was it with support conversation with Bors, Lilina, or other characters she had supports with? I was thinking for a nickname that fit with Gwendolyn maybe just Gwen, White, or Gwenni.

Edited by King Marth 64

Ah, so he is. Appreciate you looking into it.

If anyone is going to call Gwendolyn a nickname, it would probably be Astolfo. I believe he only calls her "Gwendolyn" in the current revision however.

• 4 weeks later...

One question,

I don't like some of the names and was planning to change them using FEBuilder. Is this ok or will it break something later on the game? I tested the first level and it seemed fine (though I used an older version of the patch from ~2017, and it seems character and story text are stored separately so that's going to be a pain.)

1359968391_fixedname.thumb.PNG.f0f7be573968ca1b1b6c3e2a15d7ec10.PNG

48 minutes ago, Mars of Aritia said:

One question,

I don't like some of the names and was planning to change them using FEBuilder. Is this ok or will it break something later on the game? I tested the first level and it seemed fine (though I used an older version of the patch from ~2017, and it seems character and story text are stored separately so that's going to be a pain.)

1359968391_fixedname.thumb.PNG.f0f7be573968ca1b1b6c3e2a15d7ec10.PNG

Haha, renaming everyone to their FE1 counterparts! I like it.

It is not difficult to change names in FEBuilder and it should create no issues. If you search a name in the Text Editor, all instances of the name in the game will come up, then you can just edit where it appears to what you want. I don't think there are any hidden instances of names.

It is actually probably one of the easiest things you can do in FEBuilder, but it can be time consuming if you want to edit names on a large scale.

21 hours ago, gringe said:

Haha, renaming everyone to their FE1 counterparts! I like it.

It is not difficult to change names in FEBuilder and it should create no issues. If you search a name in the Text Editor, all instances of the name in the game will come up, then you can just edit where it appears to what you want. I don't think there are any hidden instances of names.

It is actually probably one of the easiest things you can do in FEBuilder, but it can be time consuming if you want to edit names on a large scale.

I did some changes but whenever a magic user levels up with animations on the game either softlocks when level up is supposed to appear, or shows a weird stat screen.

1453261097_FireEmblem-FuuinnoTsurugi-200910-231129.thumb.png.82e1d8c16b4dee1159ea7ecd4d70ba6a.png

I guess I'll just hold my nose and bear it with the untouched patch. At least none of the names are Caeda level bad (well Gwendolyn is but that's not in the patch yet thankfully, and Raigh & Shanna are pretty stupid but whatever). And the base game is untouched unlike a certain other "translation" patch.

Edited by Mars of Aritia

Hmm... That must be an issue with the older version of the patch you’re using. If you want to make text edits, I would recommend using the latest version. Tabachanker and I are working on a new version to be released...eventually!

Edited by gringe

Hi Gringe,

Stupid question here, but I'm trying to download the translated rom onto my ez flash iv, but it seems to be just BARELY over the size limit. I believe 16,384MB is the limit for game size on this cart after it goes thru the client. The ROM ends up being close to 16,580MB (or something like that) due to the client patching it so it is playable. Is there perhaps a previous version of the translation that would make the game size just a bit smaller? Thanks.

9 minutes ago, fe6_noob said:

Hi Gringe,

Stupid question here, but I'm trying to download the translated rom onto my ez flash iv, but it seems to be just BARELY over the size limit. I believe 16,384MB is the limit for game size on this cart after it goes thru the client. The ROM ends up being close to 16,580MB (or something like that) due to the client patching it so it is playable. Is there perhaps a previous version of the translation that would make the game size just a bit smaller? Thanks.

I’m afraid I can’t really recommend any previous versions, as I don’t think any that are in a complete state are below that size limit.

If you can wait, tabachanker managed to get the ROM to half the size of the previous versions, so the next version we put out should work properly.

o WOW, that's amazing! 

I can play the waiting game for a lil while. any time estimates on when it may possibly come out? 

oh and do you know if that version will be posted here or on a new post?

big props to you and the team on the translation btw. I wish i knew about this years ago =D

1 hour ago, gringe said:

Hmm... That must be an issue with the older version of the patch you’re using. If you want to make text edits, I would recommend using the latest version. Tabachanker and I are working on a new version to be released...eventually!

Tried it on the latest version, same error. Something definitely breaks if you change strings.There's also a lot of text in place of unused classes and items like female mercenaries and the watch staff. Perhaps it's because of all the junk data FEditor added as was mentioned before.

Also, is there a changelog anywhere? Or are the only changes just names?

Edited by Mars of Aritia

1 hour ago, fe6_noob said:

o WOW, that's amazing! 

I can play the waiting game for a lil while. any time estimates on when it may possibly come out? 

oh and do you know if that version will be posted here or on a new post?

big props to you and the team on the translation btw. I wish i knew about this years ago =D

In the next few months I guess! Can’t promise anything at this point however. I will post it in this topic when it’s ready.

1 hour ago, Mars of Aritia said:

Tried it on the latest version, same error. Something definitely breaks if you change strings.There's also a lot of text in place of unused classes and items like female mercenaries and the watch staff. Perhaps it's because of all the junk data FEditor added as was mentioned before.

Also, is there a changelog anywhere? Or are the only changes just names?

Interesting. I will need to make sure to test to make sure the newer version does not have that error. I have not encountered it yet.

Text being in unused items/classes was a shortcut the original translation patch makers took to implement text that was too long to fit in the original space limitations. This is one of many behind-the-scenes fixes that will be present in the in-progress new version.

For a changelog, do you mean for the upcoming version? If so, you’ll have to wait until it comes out. The text changes will include name and “ending title” (stuff like Roy’s “Young Lion”) updates for consistency with newly localized material, as well as edits to the dialogue/narration here and there for brevity and clarity. I overhauled the tutorial for terminology consistency with FE7, for example. I don’t think the text changelog will be point-by-point exhaustive, however.

Tried a small edit (just changed Roy to Marth) and it seemed to work now. Maybe the problem was I exported all the text, edited in notepad, and imported it back. Perhaps it broke something during the import. I don't know, I'm not going to bother changing anything now it's causing too much headaches lol.