FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/11/2020 at 6:26 AM, fe6_noob said:

Hi Gringe,

Stupid question here, but I'm trying to download the translated rom onto my ez flash iv, but it seems to be just BARELY over the size limit. I believe 16,384MB is the limit for game size on this cart after it goes thru the client. The ROM ends up being close to 16,580MB (or something like that) due to the client patching it so it is playable. Is there perhaps a previous version of the translation that would make the game size just a bit smaller? Thanks.

Just a heads up. I mentioned this issue in this thread in the past:

The translation patch adds content after the 128Mbit barrier which causes issues with some flash cards. The EZ-Flash IV that you're using only has 128Mbit of PSRAM to load games and can therefore not launch this ROM hack that way. Your card has, however, an additional 256Mbit of NOR Flash. You can write the patched ROM (or any game larger than the 128Mbit PSRAM limit) to the NOR flash of the card by following the instructions for your card:

To copy a GBA game (of any size) to the NOR memory, highlight the game and press Select. You will be prompted to copy the game. Press A to copy the game or B to cancel. If there is sufficient room on the NOR memory, the game will be copied.

Similarly, if you want to erase a game on the NOR memory, highlight the game and press Select. You will be prompted as to whether you are sure you want to erase that game. Press A to erase or B to cancel.

Do be aware that writing to NOR may not work with rechargable AA batteries on a AGB-001 model (the old, regular "non-SP" GBA) and quality alkaline batteries are recommended for this process. It is a slow process, for a game this size expect it to take a few (up to 10) Minutes for the write process to finish. However, you only need to do this once (until you decide to delete the game from NOR again). Once the file is written to NOR, you can launch the game any time within a second.

EDIT: Also, you're mentioning the EZ Client software. You should consider updating to a newer firmware version (2.05 being the most recent one) - They have forgone the need to save-patch your ROMs on firmware version 2.00 onwards - you can just use clean ROMs dumped from your cartridges or found elsewhere, without having to worry about patching them using outdated PC software.

Edited by Localhorst86

11 hours ago, Localhorst86 said:

Just a heads up. I mentioned this issue in this thread in the past:

The translation patch adds content after the 128Mbit barrier which causes issues with some flash cards. The EZ-Flash IV that you're using only has 128Mbit of PSRAM to load games and can therefore not launch this ROM hack that way. Your card has, however, an additional 256Mbit of NOR Flash. You can write the patched ROM (or any game larger than the 128Mbit PSRAM limit) to the NOR flash of the card by following the instructions for your card:

Do be aware that writing to NOR may not work with rechargable AA batteries on a AGB-001 model (the old, regular "non-SP" GBA) and quality alkaline batteries are recommended for this process. It is a slow process, for a game this size expect it to take a few (up to 10) Minutes for the write process to finish. However, you only need to do this once (until you decide to delete the game from NOR again). Once the file is written to NOR, you can launch the game any time within a second.

EDIT: Also, you're mentioning the EZ Client software. You should consider updating to a newer firmware version (2.05 being the most recent one) - They have forgone the need to save-patch your ROMs on firmware version 2.00 onwards - you can just use clean ROMs dumped from your cartridges or found elsewhere, without having to worry about patching them using outdated PC software.

Thanks for the heads up! I did think about this as well; however, since I happen to have Mother 3 already uploaded to the NOR Flash, I didn't know if it was going to be worth the trouble to try to learn how to delete it, and then upload FE6. (Plus Mother 3 is a pretty awesome game as well. I'd feel rly guilty deleting it). I'm also a bit scared of doing much else aside from adding games to the flash cart at this point since I can't really seem to find support forums for my EZ Flash IV anymore, and I'm nervous to "break" anything with it.

It's weird because I didn't expect this translation to push past the 16mb limit, especially when the jap rom is originally about half that, like 8mb. So you can imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when I found out it was just barely over the limit for the PSRAM...
I think I'll just have to play the waiting game for now. Gringe and Tabachanker both mentioned how the newest version of the patch they're working on will be much smaller in size, and that's gonna be a godsend for me. I can [try to] wait a few months to be able to play this on a gba. They have my undying gratitude for their work.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:47 AM, fe6_noob said:

Thanks for the heads up! I did think about this as well; however, since I happen to have Mother 3 already uploaded to the NOR Flash, I didn't know if it was going to be worth the trouble to try to learn how to delete it, and then upload FE6. (Plus Mother 3 is a pretty awesome game as well. I'd feel rly guilty deleting it). I'm also a bit scared of doing much else aside from adding games to the flash cart at this point since I can't really seem to find support forums for my EZ Flash IV anymore, and I'm nervous to "break" anything with it.

It's weird because I didn't expect this translation to push past the 16mb limit, especially when the jap rom is originally about half that, like 8mb. So you can imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when I found out it was just barely over the limit for the PSRAM...
I think I'll just have to play the waiting game for now. Gringe and Tabachanker both mentioned how the newest version of the patch they're working on will be much smaller in size, and that's gonna be a godsend for me. I can [try to] wait a few months to be able to play this on a gba. They have my undying gratitude for their work.

when you delete a game off of NOR, you only delete the ROM and only from there. Savegames and the ROM on your SD card remains untouched, so you can simply switch between the two games, allthough it would always be a lengthy process (deleting the game off of NOR first, then writing the other one takes a some minutes).

The text spanning beyond the 128Mbit mark is something tabachanker aknowledged in response to my intiall post, it seems to be an issue with the tool used to create the translation (FEditor). There is plenty of unused (zeroed) space in the ROM that the tool could utilise to store the data but for some reason didn't until now. So I too am looking forward to the new patches. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

FE6 Localization Patch v1.1b

In short, this new version includes localization updates, bug fixes...and a new Support Conversation reader feature?!
FE6Localization_v1_1b.png.3cda2edcdbdae84bb0be63c8da790e53.png
*It's real!

Download here
Apply to an FE6 ROM with a UPS patcher such as NUPS
*If you don't know how to patch a ROM, please kindly Google it.

Testers Wanted! Please Report Any Issues!
Please let us know any issues you run into in this topic! Please also spread the word to anyone who may be interested in helping!

Although tabachanker and I tested as much as we could between us, our time is beginning to run low. The game should be playable from beginning to end, but let us know if you encounter any issues!

Changelist
The vast majority of updates this time are new features and cleaning up of the ROM. These wouldn't have been possible without tabachanker, the Jesus of Hacking, so big ups homie!

■New Features

• Reread your favorite Support Conversations with a fully functional Support Conversation reader! Note that previously viewed Support Conversations will not be unlocked unless they are viewed again. The feature is available from the Extras menu (unlocked after completing the game once) and the battle preparations screen. There is a special Easter egg to view all Support Conversations once the feature is unlocked on the Extras menus...
Spoiler

To view all Support Conversations, as soon as you press A on the "Support Conversation" option from the "Extras" menu, press and hold Up, Select and B until the support screen appears. You will have temporary access to all convos.

• Press B to skip the credits and character endings page by page--no longer does beating the game have to mean waiting 20-30 minutes for the credits to end!
  • You can now press Start on the Preparations menu to start a battle, as in the other GBA FE titles
  • The cursor on the main menu moves a little more smoothly now
  • The people who made huge contributions to the localization are now credited in the credits screen 😊

■Fixes

• The infamous Hugh glitch, in which Hugh's stats were inflated in his recruitment chapter if the player resumed the chapter, has been corrected!
  • File size of the patched ROM has been reduced nearly by half!
  • Missing pause marker in opening scene added to make it flow smoother
  • Other general behind-the-scenes data organization

■Localization/Text Updates

• All character names and titles have been updated for consistency with Fire Emblem Heroes and other current content (thin font used where names did not fit in UI)
  • Replaced remaining unlocalized "Ereb" map graphics with localized "Elibe" map graphics (credits, preparations minimap)
  • Other small text revisions, including an overhaul of the Tutorial for consistency with Nintendo's GBA-era terminology regulations

To Be Done?

• Link Arena cleanup (lol)
  • Small adjustments to Support Conversation reader, such as the order the characters are displayed and possibly display the Affinity for all characters
  • Other cool stuff maybe???

That's all! Enjoy, and spread the word if you are so inclined!

what are the odds,... i just apply your patch (1.0) just now. and want to play from scratch, but hold on a bit, check the forum randomly and turns out you release another new patch 🤔
seems like this really is the time for me to play FE6 again.

Thanks for the hard work!

Edited by joevar

Hi, I've ran into a pretty easily accessible game crash in the battle preps menu. While I'm not sure if these are the exact specifics on how to trigger it, I'll post the easiest and most consistent way I've figured to do it

Go into the trade menu, make sure you scroll down the unit window, and initiate a trade 

Glitch1.png

Then, while making sure the unit you initiated the trade with stays in frame (they must be above the bottom line though)
Glitch2.png

Finally, close out of the trade, and the unit cursor will go out of bounds when trying to re-select the unit you started with

glitch3.png

Moving the cursor down from this point will then crash the game, but will leave any save points unharmed.

Ultimately it's a relatively harmless crash, as it can only happen during battle preps and shortly after saving the game, but with the relative ease it takes to accidentally trigger it, it's pretty annoying to have to watch out for. 

And as a PS in case it helps, while testing the bug I found that, depending on how far up the unit is on frame, impacts how far up the cursor will go. In the example above, Sue was one position above the bottom, which sent the cursor one position out out of bounds, and in the example below, Bors is two positions from the bottom, thus sending the cursor two spaces out of bounds.

.Glitch4.png

5 hours ago, Jam0317 said:

Hi, I've ran into a pretty easily accessible game crash in the battle preps menu. While I'm not sure if these are the exact specifics on how to trigger it, I'll post the easiest and most consistent way I've figured to do it

Thank you for the detailed report! We'll look into it.

14 hours ago, KrashBoomBang said:

Holy crap! This came out of nowhere. Awesome to see this get updated, especially with the support viewer! Thanks for all your hard work!

And thank you for posting about it on Reddit! Hopefully that will have some more people able to test it.

I found a minor issue. When pressing A over the greyed out Suspend-option in the tutorial, the textbox will be empty. It is not broken, just that the textstring(Slot 0C46 in the FEBuilder Texteditor) is empty in this new version.

Edited by German FE Nino

3 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

I found a minor issue. When pressing A over the greyed out Suspend-option in the tutorial, the textbox will be empty. It is not broken, just that the textstring(Slot 0C46 in the FEBuilder Texteditor) is empty in this new version.

Thank you for the report! This will go on the list of issues to fix.

FE6 Localization Patch v1.1br1

A quick update fixing the trading crash and the missing text mentioned above! You can continue any save games from the older version.

Download here
Apply to a Japanese FE6 ROM with a UPS patcher such as NUPS
*If you don't know how to patch a ROM, please kindly Google it.

Testers Wanted! Please Report Any Issues!
Please let us know any issues you run into in this topic! Please also spread the word to anyone who may be interested in helping!

The game should be playable from beginning to end, but let us know if you encounter any issues!

Changelist

• Potential crash when trading between units on the Preparations menu fixed (thank you for the detailed report!)
  • Missing text when trying to "Suspend" during the tutorial added (thank you for even listing the specific location of the text!)
Edited by gringe

Just signed up to the forums to say thanks for the patch and I'll be installing the updated version shortly and will happily join the testing brigade!  The timing of this update is pretty funny because I have been reading through this thread intermittently for the past few weeks and just now got up-to-date only to see that there was an update posted last week.  Whaddayaknow!

For what it's worth, I played through the v1 version of this patch using a New Nintendo 2DS XL with custom firmware installed, which means it's not actually emulating a GBA and is running directly on the 3DS.  I was able to apply the patch to the ROM on my PC, convert the .GBA to a .CIA using 'Ultimate GBA VC Injector for 3DS' and install the game directly on the home screen of the 3DS.  People may already be familiar with this method, but I wanted to point it out since there have been posters looking for a way to play this on original GBA hardware.  It's not EXACTLY the same, but I've loved having an easy way to play the GBA Fire Emblems on a Nintendo handheld and wanted to make sure others were aware how easy it is.

I'll be sure to post if I notice anything fishy while playing through with the updated patch.  Again, thanks so much for your work on this!  Three Houses was my first FE game and I had just finished playing through all of the Western releases a month or so ago, so having this available was great.  Gringe & Co. have done an amazing job and I hope that I'm not too spoiled if I ever try out the other Japan-only games. :-)

Hey Gringe, I'm looking to integrate this into the randomizer, and I've run into a bit of a snag regarding the text. I'm not sure if my text parser is just incomplete, but Wendy/Gwendolyn's name seems to not be interpreted correctly, which is weird, because every other string is interpreted correctly (and Gwendolyn's name in dialogue is also interpreted correctly). Were there some new characters that were added to the text encoding table? My guess is that maybe Gwendolyn's name is too long to fit in most text boxes, for names, so a slightly different character was used for G, e, n, d, o, and y (w and l seem to be interpreted correctly).

13 hours ago, Boatinater said:

I'll be sure to post if I notice anything fishy while playing through with the updated patch.  Again, thanks so much for your work on this!

Thank you for the kind words and for testing! Hope you enjoy the game.

6 hours ago, lushen124 said:

Hey Gringe, I'm looking to integrate this into the randomizer, and I've run into a bit of a snag regarding the text. I'm not sure if my text parser is just incomplete, but Wendy/Gwendolyn's name seems to not be interpreted correctly, which is weird, because every other string is interpreted correctly (and Gwendolyn's name in dialogue is also interpreted correctly). Were there some new characters that were added to the text encoding table? My guess is that maybe Gwendolyn's name is too long to fit in most text boxes, for names, so a slightly different character was used for G, e, n, d, o, and y (w and l seem to be interpreted correctly).

What I did for Gwendolyn is replace some of the otherwise unused full width* letters that existed in the font data with thinner versions. I didn't actually add any new letters, but I'm guessing the full width letters are where it's tripping up.

The Binding Blade has also been given this treatment, as well as some character titles (their "nicknames" that are shown in their endings). I can give you the current letter renderings in a little bit when I can look them up on FE Builder.

*Written characters in Asian languages must be a set full width, and full width Roman letters are used commonly when the alphabet is needed when writing text that is otherwise an Asian language. Outside of this context, they are generally not used and may not display or be read correctly with certain encodings. You may or may not have seen them used in vaporwave-related AESTHETIC contexts.

EDIT: Here are the hideous renderings of names that did not fit that are rendered correctly in game because of the in-game font edits I made. Due to various reasons, the letters that they are represented with in the game are not always the letters that they're actually written with in the source text.
- Gwendolyn: mwendolyn
- Binding Blade: kinding klade
- Nabata Protector (Igrene): Navata irotector
- One of True Sight (Elffin): lne of true fight
- Unyielding Idealist (Echidna): wnyielding Idealist

Edited by gringe

Thanks! I also noticed we've reintroduced huffman encoding for FE6, which I guess is how we managed to cut down the final size so drastically.

EDIT: If you saw the bug earlier, ignore the bug, I think that's an issue with my text parser not recognizing apostrophes.

EDIT 2: Ok, another question. Text seems to be working now, but for whatever reason, changing Roy's class seems to break his battle animation (and only his). I'm not sure if anything has changed that might be related to that. The weird thing is that anybody else that is the same class as he is works fine, so it's not like the class's animations are broken. But the game seems to freak out when his battle animations are called to play. From my limited testing, his animations work while he's a lord or a mercenary (for some reason). Otherwise, his battle animations seem to break if he's a mage, cavalier, or myrmidon (haven't tested other classes yet). It's entirely possible that the randomizer is at fault still because of some assumptions I've made, but if you have a technical list of changes, that would help a lot.

EDIT 3: After further testing, it seems to be related to the palettes. I was originally relying on empty space that was internal to the base ROM to put new palettes, but I'm not sure what the new free space areas are, or even if there are any in the new patched version. (Admittedly, I'm not sure of the actual requirements for where these can live, beyond the fact that they seem to be byte aligned).

EDIT 4: I must say, thanks for releasing this new patch. It's gotten me to go back and look at my code again, and find a lot of issues that didn't surface earlier. Apparently, I wasn't always byte aligning new data beyond the end of the file, so the palettes were breaking because of that.

Edited by lushen124
Not actually a bug with the patch.

8 hours ago, lushen124 said:

Thanks! I also noticed we've reintroduced huffman encoding for FE6, which I guess is how we managed to cut down the final size so drastically.

EDIT: If you saw the bug earlier, ignore the bug, I think that's an issue with my text parser not recognizing apostrophes.

EDIT 2: Ok, another question. Text seems to be working now, but for whatever reason, changing Roy's class seems to break his battle animation (and only his). I'm not sure if anything has changed that might be related to that. The weird thing is that anybody else that is the same class as he is works fine, so it's not like the class's animations are broken. But the game seems to freak out when his battle animations are called to play. From my limited testing, his animations work while he's a lord or a mercenary (for some reason). Otherwise, his battle animations seem to break if he's a mage, cavalier, or myrmidon (haven't tested other classes yet). It's entirely possible that the randomizer is at fault still because of some assumptions I've made, but if you have a technical list of changes, that would help a lot.

EDIT 3: After further testing, it seems to be related to the palettes. I was originally relying on empty space that was internal to the base ROM to put new palettes, but I'm not sure what the new free space areas are, or even if there are any in the new patched version. (Admittedly, I'm not sure of the actual requirements for where these can live, beyond the fact that they seem to be byte aligned).

EDIT 4: I must say, thanks for releasing this new patch. It's gotten me to go back and look at my code again, and find a lot of issues that didn't surface earlier. Apparently, I wasn't always byte aligning new data beyond the end of the file, so the palettes were breaking because of that.

I'm glad it was helpful for you!

The vast majority of the technical stuff for this patch was done by tabachanker, so I may be unable to answer questions directly, but if there's anything else feel free to let me know.

4 minutes ago, gringe said:

The vast majority of the technical stuff for this patch was done by tabachanker, so I may be unable to answer questions directly

Honestly is kinda sad because I am curious about what happened to the supportconversation-data when the viewer was implemented. I did not talk about it yet because it is not an issue with the patch, but there has to have been a larger change in datastructure or location because FEBuilder cannot read it anymore.

6 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

Honestly is kinda sad because I am curious about what happened to the supportconversation-data when the viewer was implemented. I did not talk about it yet because it is not an issue with the patch, but there has to have been a larger change in datastructure or location because FEBuilder cannot read it anymore.

Is there something you are no longer able to edit in FE Builder? I didn't have any issues editing text or anything, and I did make some changes after the initial version of the feature was implemented.

Appearently only some little things are not picked up in the patches-section because of the location-change of some inrom data and the supportconversation data.(aka. the list where one toggles which conversations are displayed.)
All conversations already implemented in vanilla work, just that FEBuilder appearently cannot access the data anymore. I already plan on requesting a potential update for it from the developer of the tool eventually, just that I was curious why it was the case in the first place.(I am not really good with data at all)

3 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

Appearently only some little things are not picked up in the patches-section because of the location-change of some inrom data and the supportconversation data.(aka. the list where one toggles which conversations are displayed.)
All conversations already implemented in vanilla work, just that FEBuilder appearently cannot access the data anymore. I already plan on requesting a potential update for it from the developer of the tool eventually, just that I was curious why it was the case in the first place.(I am not really good with data at all)

I see. I can say that data was moved around to reduce the size of the ROM, and there was nothing I noticed in FEBuilder that was affected, though I didn't try fiddling with everything.

7 hours ago, Jam0317 said:

Just a minor text bug. During the conversation between Roy and Zephiel after opening the throne room, the conversation force ends halfway through Roy's final dialogue, with Roy telling Zephiel that he knows his lunacy "mW"

Fire Emblem The Binding Blade.png

Appreciate the report! I think I should probably give other lengthy dialogues another look over too.