FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

So I noticed it said that applying the patch will break the stats. I'm running the .96 version of the patch atm, I want to upgrade to the completed one. Do I really have to start over? I'm only on ch. 8 but I really don't want to start over. Chapter 4 is ridiculous, FE6 has some OP early game units.

As for the whole name thing, I'm a proponant of calling the game Binding Blade and the Item Sword of Seals. But I differ to your judgement of course. Honestly the name changes that bug me more are the charecters. Deke will always be Diek to me, Jerrot will be Zealot, Iden will be Idoun, and THANY WILL NEVER BE SHANNA! Seriously, whoever came up with shanna, I hate them. Also, for the love of god, don't do rutoga...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to update, I would indeed recommend restarting. You can try to update to the newest version and see what happens, but keep a backup of your save file.

Personally, the more I've translated games, the more I've realized how little names actually matter for the most part. Fire Emblem fans are really REALLY weird about their worship of particular renditions of names.

It's primarily a matter of habit, I think. I mean, if you've been calling a character "gringe" for the last few years and then someone comes along and says that it would be better to call them "grengay", your first reaction would probably be "that's dumb." At least, that's how I react. But also from my experience, I tend to get over it as soon as I adjust. It's just one of those things that will always agitate people, I suppose.

Personally, the more I've translated games, the more I've realized how little names actually matter for the most part. Fire Emblem fans are really REALLY weird about their worship of particular renditions of names.

It's actually more of a concern that if a translator can't even get a simple name right without taking wicked liberties or making weird self-justified changes, how can they handle the actual plot?

Heck, I even think in one of the Game Center CX episodes, the one when New Monshou was being highlighted, it was explained that IS has a bunch of names already chosen ahead of time, and it's just a matter of finding the right context or situation in the plot. These can be small, like Dorothy's name in FE6, or large, like several children in FEif being characters from Awakening, but with mixed names (Tiamo/Matoi is pretty clear, and Krom even comments on it in the DLC).

It's actually more of a concern that if a translator can't even get a simple name right without taking wicked liberties or making weird self-justified changes, how can they handle the actual plot?

Because naming conventions are different in Japan and English-speaking countries and things that sound cool/exotic to Japanese people may sound lame/common to native English-speakers. Even if planned ahead of time, what the name specifically is has very little bearing on the overall plot.

Did Ruthea being changed to Lucius make you enjoy FE7 any less?

Did Cougar being changed to Cormag significantly change your experience of FE8?

Did Muddy being changed to Mordecai negatively affect your playthrough of FE9?

One thing I've noticed with the characters Debias and Gheb is that, as fat characters, their names seem to be warpings of the Japanese word for fat (debu). It would have probably been more accurate in the English version, actually, to change their names to something that gives that impression to an English-speaker.

Edited by gringe

I've only ever seen it to this degree in the Fire Emblem fandom, though.

Ok I actually want to explain the reason I personally obsess over the names.

About 60% of the allusions to mythology and the personality of the characters themselves lie in the names. It's not just one or two characters; it's actually quite ludicrous the amount of effort IS and Nintendo put in to make just about every playable character's name have some kind of special meaning. Draug is guard backwards, Ike is said to be a reference to U.S. President Ike Eisenhower because of the circumstances of their presidency and lordship (both being experienced war fighters who rose to some kind of political power), which is only further enforced by "We like Ike", which was his campaign slogan, Marth being a corruption of Mars, the Roman god of war, as Marth is a solid war general, Julius being a name common to royalty, Sigurd being a hero of Norse Mythlogy, Idun being the Norse guardian of the apples of eternal life, Roland being the titular character of the Song of Roland who weilded Durandal.... Hell, it even extends to default avatar names, Kris being a diminutive of Christopher (he who follows Christ, which is more than likely Jesus symbolism for Marth) and Robin, while I cannot confirm, my English teacher insists means "brilliant minded one"; it could also be taken to mean "fame".

I can go on for literally 8 pages, gringe, but I'll spare you. This is also why it's of HUGE importance to use official names; Nintendo/IS is saying "this is the reference we're making" or "this is the trait of this character" and not any other name's reference.

I don't want to terrify you with how specific some names might have to be, but i've even seen this extended to weapons; the first to come to mind is that "Imhullu" is a plague of wind from if I recall Norse mythology, and of course I've mentioned Durandal

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

But there can be issues with just directly taking the names from mythology. For example, prior to being officially localized as "Raigh" by Awakening, there was much debate over the name of a character from Binding Blade. Though the old patch gave his name as "Ray", many insisted that his name should be spelled "Lleu", because his name references the Welsh hero Lleu Llaw Gyffes, said to be the Welsh equivalent of the Irish Lugh. The proper pronunciation of this name uses a sound not native to English which mixes the "L" and "TH" sounds, coming out something like "Thlay". But despite this reference being known, the name was romanized as "Ray" in the first patch. Why? Well, we're all familiar with the L/R problem, but more than that someone not familiar with the rules of old Welsh pronunciation would probably pronoucne it "Lew". The problem is that the name of Raigh's brother Lugh (named for the aformentioned Irish god) is properly pronounced "Lew", which means that the average player would pronounce both twins' names the same. Thus, many people supported the "Ray" name to avoid confusion, while many others supported "Lleu" because of the references. There was a lot of argument about this prior to Awakening, which sided with clarity over allusion and named him "Raigh".

On another note, you mentioned that Idun is a reference to the Norse goddess. But that's a problem, because her name is not Idun. It's actually spelled Iðunn, which for obvious reasons can't be easily put in the game. Idun is the most common approximation, but far from the only one. For one thing, the pronunciation of ð does not perfectly correlate to the letter D. The name can also be translated Ithun. Idunn and Ithunn are also options because the Norse spelling has two n's. But then, the official NOJ name is "Idenn". Why? I have no idea, but it is. So from the mythological perspective, official names are not infallible either, and there may be multiple ways to spell the same reference.

Then there are examples of corruption by passing through Japanese. We English-speakers know the sword wielded by the Black Knight in FE9/10 as Alondite, but in Japan it was Ettard. In the localizations, Ettard is the name of Ike's personal sword in the beginning of FE10, but in Japan that one was Alondite. ...But that's beside the point. The name Alondite is a reference to the sword wielded by Sir Lancelot in the legend of King Arthur, but the name is not widely used because it's overshadowed by Excalibur. The thing is, Lancelot's sword is not named Alondite. It's actually Arondight, but apparently the reference is obscure enough (or the spelling weird enough) that the localization team didn't catch it. They crossed the R with an L and then spelled it in a manner more in line with modern English.

An example that will illustrate two points at once is Marth's fiancée. I don't even know what name to use. Official Japanese material has usually referred to her as Sheeda, but the anime named her Sheda. Then Shadow Dragon came out and things got even more confusing, because NOE named her Shiida and NOA named her Caeda. So first of all, we have a lot of official names. The most notable conflict is between the different Shadow Dragon versions; is she Shiida or Caeda? Shiida is the closest romanization of the katakana spelling シーダ, but based on sales, 14 times as many people would know her as Caeda (NOE Shadow Dragon sold 20,000 copies, NOA sold 280,000). So which name is "official" really depends on your location. Shadow Dragon also brought us Navarre/Nabarl, and FE7 gave us Renault/Renaud. There may be other examples, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Goldoa's dragon king also got a slight name change between NOA FE9 & 10: in FE9 he was Deghinsea, but in FE10 he was Dheginsea. He was so minor in FE9 that most people probably wouldn't notice and would just spell it Dheginsea... except that PAL versions of the game named him Deghinsea in both.

Secondly, none of シーダ's names seem to be a reference to anything. The only thing I could find at all was a small town in Fukuoka named Shiida, but since that's very small and the name is spelled with Kanji, it's probably a coincidence. In other words, this is a completely made up name, so we can't say that there's a "correct" answer because of a historical/mythological reference.

...All of which to say, intended references are not always the most important thing when it comes to translating, and official names are far from infallible.

No worries gringe, it has been awhile, hasn't it? The changes I posted resolve a bug that was introduced by the original translation patch, which I outlined as ISSUE 1 in this post: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41095&page=65#entry3423365. Beware though, as it's one of those minor things that you would never notice, but once you have, you can never unsee it.

Regarding Chapter 17, I wish I had more info on this issue, but all I have to go off of is that entry in the old blog. Apparently a fix was in place, but that version of the patch was never released. However, after reviewing your patch notes, I found this: "shadowofchaos for helping solve the c17 Ilia chapter title problem and for his notes on FE6", so perhaps the issue has already been resolved after all?

Chad: Ahhh, thanks! That'll be something for v1.1 for sure!

As for the chapter 17 issue, I guess it must be the chapter title, in which case it's been fixed. I'm just not sure what else it would be.

Turtleman579: Thanks for the detailed post.

I feel I may have made too general of a blanket statement. What I probably should have said is: Adherence to specific names or renditions isn't too important, especially when the base is a fan translation.

Edited by gringe

Is the very 1st post the one I want to download to get this game to work? also I'm not the most tech savvy but I should be able to get this to play in my soft mod. wii? Thanks in advance! I'm glad so many people love fire emblem! ROY IS OUR BOY!

One thing I've noticed with the characters Debias and Gheb is that, as fat characters, their names seem to be warpings of the Japanese word for fat (debu). It would have probably been more accurate in the English version, actually, to change their names to something that gives that impression to an English-speaker.

but then we've have had to come up with a different acronym!

you traitor

that's it you're no longer admin

but then we've have had to come up with a different acronym!

you traitor

that's it you're no longer admin

oh well it was a good run

Is the very 1st post the one I want to download to get this game to work? also I'm not the most tech savvy but I should be able to get this to play in my soft mod. wii? Thanks in advance! I'm glad so many people love fire emblem! ROY IS OUR BOY!

Yes, the first post has the patch you need. And you should probably be able to play it on your Wii? Won't know until you try. :P

The numbers patch won't give you a "full" game. It just changes some numbers to make it feel a little more like FE7.

If you find the game hard to play because of low hit rates or a lack of promotion items, maybe give it a try.

I'd like to point out that Robin is called Reflet in Japan.

And believe me, FE is far from the only fandom that obsesses over names. There are still plenty of FF fans that insist on calling Aerith "Aeris".

Edited by Matthewtheman

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be wrong of me to say that when having a name, the sound and look of it takes priority over whether or not it gets the intended reference, would it? I'm not dissing your work (which is excellent), I just feel like talking about my feelings for a bit.

So, for example, I know "Cairpre" is technically the correct spelling of Corple (since it's an actual Irish name and everything), but Corple rolls off the tongue so much better, so I like that name. And I know "Debias" is probably the proper name as well...but "Devias" sounds much more natural to me, and seems like a much more obvious reference to say, "Devious" or something else like that. And then "Rude" seems refreshingly straightforward while "Ruud" is just...weird.

And then there's "Jahn", and well, as someone on Something Awful quipped...

I'd like to take this moment to point out that you just shanked a dragon who thought the most imposing and mystical name he could come up with to call himself by was essentially "John".

Though to be fair, "Yawn" might not be much better, even though it IS rather fitting for the way he monologues to you while making you run through a boring exposition chapter :P:.

Edited by FionordeQuester

oh, definitely. i think by now it's very well documented how they're the furthest thing from reliable or infallible, producing bastardised horseshit like "siglud", "delmud" and "corpul". even so, sometimes they hit upon something that's not bad at all (celice comes to mind)