FE6 FEditor Bug Fixes

Onmi

There are 3 (noted)bugs caused by FEditor being used with FE6, the messed up graphical glitches when leveling up. the Fa bug, and the Storage bug. Here I'm going to post the 3 fixes for these bugs

Number Bug

---

ShadowofChaos Guide

What you need: A clean version of FE6, HxD.

1. Open HxD

2. GOTO 2DBDB0 in your clean rom

3. Copy everything until 2DC5B0

4. Paste it at free space (E.G. B82000) (If you have an edited rom, do it in that)

5. GOTO 67B88 and 0307AD8

6. Repoint them to your new location (E.G. 00 20 B8 08)

7. Once you get it fixed, fix the checksum.

8. then use the "memory manager" to deallocate that 0x800 bytes you used for where you repointed it so that it doesn't re-screw up.

Fa Bug

---

Shadow of Chaos Guide

1. Open HxD

2. GOTO 59AA4
3. Write 04 5B 82 08

Storage Bug

---

1. Open HxD

2. GOTO 2DC444

3. Write 00 B5 FF F7 CD FD 00 24 84 21 09 01 78 18

I can not guarantee that you will never experience another bug with FE6 hacking. But I can guarantee that these work

PATCH:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3079br1vuhcfl6/FE6%20Bugfix%20Patch.ups

Edited by Onmi

Numbers bug? I hope that's fixing the glitch where stats randomly go up (Xeld's ASM that reconfigures how stats are stored messes up in FE6).

Numbers bug? I hope that's fixing the glitch where stats randomly go up (Xeld's ASM that reconfigures how stats are stored messes up in FE6).

No, the Resume auto-patch is the cause of the storage bug.

The numbers bug is that when editing a rom with FEditor, it causes the level up number graphics to bug out. Old image is old

buggednumbers.png

Still, great work getting all of these other FEditor fixes. Should be useful for the FE6 hobbyists we've got.

Now there's just one major bug left, but alas it's quite a painful one (ruins the gameplay when units stats just randomly go up, certainly).

Arch, what's the stat's randomly raising issue. In detail.

Because here's the thing, if you load a save Pre-Auto Patch, then yes it'll raise the stats of your units by there bases again. If you're talking about a different issue, then I need to investigate.

Edited by Onmi

are these just reverting the autopatch or are you inserting new code to prevent it

because if it's the former (although this also applies to the latter) it'd really be a simple job to just edit it into FEditor

In my experience, when playing FE6 after modifications with FEditor, the way units' stats are stored becomes unstable. For example, Bors, with 4 speed, will, without any discernible cause, gain another point of speed without a levelup. Stats will randomly increase, it applies to all stats. It's similar to the Str/Mag split Nintenlord whipped up for FE4A, where the magic stat wasn't stored properly and would randomly increase.

So will this allow text editing and such without a problem? Any chance you could post a patch where this is already done?

Yes. And I think I could. But at a later date.

Alright I've updated the OP with what should be a bugfix patch. It's just a UPS patch so apply it with NUPS and a clean rom. I was using the latest translation patch but regardless it shouldn't cause a problem even if you tell it to ignore errors.

If there are problems do let me know.

I much appreciate you posting the patch, but it seems to cause the numbers glitch even without using FEditor first.

j4Wmmgq.png

For reference, I applied the TL patch to the clean (or what should be clean) ROM then applied your patch.

This issue doesn't occur before applying this new patch.

I also tried editing some text in FEditor to see what would happen and I still got the same issue.

EDIT: Tested it with a different version of the TL patch just to be sure and I was able to replicate the issue.

Edited by gringe

Ah, yes, that would be a problem indeed. Will try that now.

EDIT: Err... How do I apply the FEditor patch? >_> Google-fu is no use. With all the talk of auto-patch, I thought maybe FEditor would apply the patch automatically when saving the ROM but it hasn't worked so well. So what I did was apply the TL patch to the ROM, open it with FEditor, save it, apply this patch, and I still got the same problem. Then I tried something else: I applied the TL patch, opened it with FEditor, edited some text, saved the rom, applied this patch, then the game freaked out at the first dialogue scene where the bandits are taking over the castle (where I edited the text) and froze.

Is the FEditor patch another thing I need to download?

Edited by gringe

idk if the ups patch works but feditor automatically applies the patches the first time you open the ROM

open a fresh rom in feditor, save it without making changes, then try

Yeah, just tried that, even in the Japanese ROM it still has the number problem.

I guess someone who knows better what they're doing could try, then we'll know if I'm just doing something wrong. Otherwise, it doesn't appear to work.

Yeah, but I don't understand how to do the last two steps... Keep in mind I'm not exactly experienced or well-versed in this kind of thing.

Of course if there's a video or something like there is with the Fa bug then I could just follow along but I don't know if there is.