Walhart's FE9 0% Growths Hard Mode Enemy Recruits Only Video LP!

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which video is a better length for Chapter 3?

• I like the full length version (21 mins), it is sped up perfectly
    • I like the fast version (10:37), it is the right length but no content is lost
    • It should be longer than 21 mins and less sped up
    • It should be shorter than 10 mins and more sped up
    • Upload both the full versions and fast versions even if that means updates will take longer

I don't know, the website says all red breaths negate Goddess' blessing

dunno if that's true though

That'd be nice, it's kinda what I was counting on. Although, if this isn't the case or if I need help from my other non Dragon units I might have to hack it out.

Edited by Walhart

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The random references and impractical plot devices continue!

Chapter 4 is uploaded. Sorry I'm late, I got caught up watching a Pirates of the Caribbean marathon.

In all seriousness, I needed to resort to a few underhanded maneuvers (like making the archers completely useless) to pull it off. Also, I couldn't kill or even damage Maijin the Ragin' Cajun Gaijin (yes I realize that Gaijin doesn't rhyme perfectly) so I had to end the chapter before that. I probably could have like baited him and worn out his weapon with vulneraries, but that would've been boring to watch and pointless since the vulneraries weren't even legitimate anyway (If you want to know what I mean, watch it, here's a hint- Walhart makes an appearance as God Deus Ex Machina style).

I know it's been kind of boring so far (and I'm sure the 10 minute videos weren't helping that), but it'll pick up. I promise. Once I have enough competent people to fill all my deployment slots it should get a lot more interesting. Also, once I get to chapters that require a strategy beyond just turtling until the enemy wears itself down.
Chapter 5 actually doesn't seem that hard after a quick look. The lack of archers combined with Rutger's ability to double with a steel sword are going to make it much easier than chapter 4. But it's still a game of defense. After that, Chapter 6 offers a slight break in the action and Chapter 7 is totally unique. Chapter 8 is another defense chapter and IIRC after that it is mostly offensive based maps.

NotBoyd now has a sexy new sprite under the character section (keep in mind that I'm not a spriter). Also, I updated the characters section with the chapter 5 and 6 recruits and updated the character thoughts and ratings. In addition to my character sprite/recolor shenanigans, expect me to start mixing up the music and creating themed titles and the such (kind of like with the whole Jack Sparrow thing that was going on in chapter 4).

Edit: Chapter 5 is done. Expect an upload at some point around midday tomorrow. Apparently I can't embed anymore videos, so I'm just gonna post the youtube links in the main post under the individual chapter sections. I made sure that Chapter 4 was embedded, though.

Edited by Walhart

Chapter 5 is up, no more lame SNL Jack Sparrow references in this one!

It wouldn't let me embed another one so I just posted the youtube link. The videos have been progressively shorter, and hopefully more exciting (Chapter 5 was a LOT better than Chapter 4), but Chapter 6 should be the first fun chapter to play (and hopefully to watch, too).

I hope people are actually watching these, I know they've been meh so far but I promise it'll pick up. I also realize they haven't been up for a while (Chapter 4 and 5 were uploaded within the last 24 hours).

So yeah, if you are watching these, please post your thoughts and at least reassure me that people are watching and reading my content.

Thanks and Enjoy!

Edit: Chapter 6 done, video links and text section uploaded. Characters section also updated.

Edit 2: Oops, looks like I put the wrong link for chapter 5. Fixed. Also, the original Chapter 6 links were lacking audio. I fixed that by overlaying various renditions of a few recurring FE battle themes.

Edited by Walhart

Chapter 7 and 8 videos are now up.

Chapter 7 took stupidly long, so I had to speed it up extra otherwise it'd be 20+ minutes. I only uploaded the fast version this time (11 minutes), since it seems that no one watched the long version before.

Chapter 8 was so easy that the video is way shorter than usual (7 minutes). That is also because I forgot to turn on animations for the first half of the battle. Do you guys like it without animations? Should I keep them always on or off, or maybe just on for new recruits? Post your thoughts and vote on the poll. Thanks!

I decided to ban BEXP because I have a ton and I have no idea where it came from, plus the next dozen or so chapters promise to be easy anyway without BEXP.

Updated character ratings as usual.

Also updated OGCAR and ORCAR's characters section with much better sprites (I finally figured out how to use the color replacement tool in photoshop correctly).

Hopefully people are still watching this. If not, it is starting to pick up (at least there will be no more turtling or illegal vulneraries/cheats anymore). Although, if the number of people posting here and the decreasing youtube views is any indication, people are disappointed with or just haven't had time to watch the more recent videos. Please, though, if you started watching the series and then stopped or even if you are following this topic rigorously, please tell me what you like and what you don't like so I can improve it. For those of you who have given up watching I encourage you to give it another chance, since chapters 6-8 were some of the better ones so far and I promise it'll get even more entertaining from then on. Remember, I am always open to suggestions. If they are too long, tell me and I will speed them out more or cut more stuff out. If you don't like the animations or the music, then tell me that. If it's the corny references or too much content then that is easily fixed too. What I really need is people telling me what they want. Thanks!

Edited by Walhart

I personally had trouble with the animations being on and that it was a bit difficult to follow because of hack stuff being too fast. Annotations could help with confusion.

1. youtube views for most playthroughs tend to remain low unless you're a well-known LPer (so don't worry)

2. unless you're LPing, and sometimes even if you're LPing, keep the animations off.

Thanks for your suggestions:

1. Ok, I'm not concerned with low views for their own sake, I was just afraid that I was losing people's interest as the views seem to have declined.

2. Thanks, I'll turn them off for all but the new recruits. If that isn't sufficient, I'll turn them all off later.

I personally had trouble with the animations being on and that it was a bit difficult to follow because of hack stuff being too fast. Annotations could help with confusion.

Again, thanks for posting. I will fix the animations, and hopefully that'll give me some more time so I don't have to speed it up as much. Granted, the really fast parts are generally the least important, but you still have a point. I could go back and add annotations or slow down some parts, but I've deleted all of the old saves and footage so I'm limited to what I can do with the videos in the form they are uploaded in.

Like I've said, the primary purpose of this is to be entertaining (unlike the FE13 run whose goal is to be informative), so I'll do my best to follow any suggestions that people post.

Edited by Walhart

I actually saved your video in case I need something to watch when playing my 3DS

>_>

*Jump on no animation bandwagon

Haha if you saved it I guess that's a good sign!

Definitely gonna turn off at least 90% of the animations (except in certain situations and with new recruits for the chapter they join). The only reason I kept them on in the first place was because it's been a while since I've played FE9 and I wanted to see the pretty graphics.

From the fact that I've had 3 people post against animations and there's only one vote I've construed that the poll is broken. Can someone confirm that this is the case?

Edited by Walhart

PoR is I think the only FE game where the animations on do not offer the benefit of seeing the hit rates so it's best you turn them off entirely so that we can focus on the tactics.

The Cav that joined you there is an actually good NPC! Hopefully your ranks will grow in competent units in the next chapters.

PoR is I think the only FE game where the animations on do not offer the benefit of seeing the hit rates so it's best you turn them off entirely so that we can focus on the tactics.

Right, i will definitely do that from now on (removed poll). Do you think I should go back to the earlier chapters and slow them down and take out the animations so it'll be easier to see the tactics? Sure, it'll be a bit of work but nothing too excessive.

The Cav that joined you there is an actually good NPC! Hopefully your ranks will grow in competent units in the next chapters.

Yep, the Halberdier in chapter 10 is a nice snag, and after that it is all promoted units. I do have to pick up a thief eventually though and Chapter 11 is probably the best choice for that.

Update: I finished chapter 9 and 10 and it shouldn't take me too long to edit out the fluff. It's gonna be a little while before I start chapter 11 though.

Edited by Walhart

Chapters 9 and 10 videos uploaded. Animations are off for both of them. They are around the same lengths as the previous videos, though, since I didn;t want to speed them up to the point where it is hard to follow what is going on.

Chapter 11's a bitch and a half. If I try to deploy a full team I'm gonna get overrun, so I tried deploying just Jarod and Oswin (who was promoted to General) and even that didn't work since Oswin was torn apart by mages (I'm probably gonna give him that talisman to help with this). He could really use a speedwing now, but unfortunately I don't have one. It doesn't help that the game won't let me deploy ORCAR; for some reason he just disappears whenever I try to deploy him.

So yeah, it might be a few days before I beat this one and have it uploaded.

Edited by Walhart

inb4thenewlunatic+

Haha yeah that's kinda what I was shooting for. Chapters 4 and 11 are definitely Lunatic+ difficulty and probably chapter 7 too. Chapters 3, 5, and 6 are pretty close, ranging from Lunatic-ish difficulty to almost Lunatic+ difficulty (of these, chapter 6 was probably the hardest, the only thing keeping it from reaching Luna+ level was the AI being stupid in regards to the poleaxe) Chapter 9 was probably like the equivalent of hard mode and Chapters 8 and 10 were a joke (like NM difficulty, Chapter 8 might even have been Easy Mode worthy).

There's no counter obviously (although when it activated on Kotaff it sent a shiver down my spine), but no Frederick either, not to mention the zero growths so you can't just overuse a unit like Avatar (keep in mind that I'm comparing the difficulties to my FE13 Luna+ run, where Avatar was underused).

So basically it's the kind of difficulty that people like, difficulty from time limits, multiple groups aggroing at once, and tricky enemy placement. The best examples of this are chapters 7 and 11 (you'll see what I mean soon enough), and the only one that has unfair difficulty was chapter 4, and there was nothing I could do about that except move the archers away so they couldn't attack me.

I'm honestly surprised that chapter 11 is so hard. I expected to just steamroll the next few chapters with my 2 promoted units, but the game does a good job of making sure one unit can't destroy it (after all, the game is designed with Titania in mind). I guess the midgame will turn out to be difficult due to enemy placement as I had initially predicted.

Edited by Walhart

Update: Chapter 11 and 12 videos uploaded. Chapter 11 is fairly long at 12.5 minutes but Chapter 12 is way shorter and only like half as long (6.5 minutes).

Update 2: Chapter 13 completed. Video will be uploaded at some point tomorrow.

Edited by Walhart

I'm a follower of this topic and a fan of your playthrough already, but I have a request. When you get a chance, would you consider updating the second post of this topic containing the pictures and information about the characters you are using to include their promoted stats and information as well? Given that certain characters like Oswin and ORCAR have already promoted and there is a possibility of promoting others as the playthrough develops and master seals continue to become accessible that it would be nice seeing how the promotion gains and new weapons influence how strong these characters are now.