Anime Recommendations?

TatsuyaSuou

Not really sure if this is the right section so please move this as anyone sees fit.

It`s summer time and I have absolutely nothing to do. 'cept hacking but laziness

I`ve rewatched some of the more well known ones like Death Note and FMA. I`ve been wanting to try something new lately and I know that there are a lot of anime out there but I have no idea which ones are worth watching. Also, I don`t really have any preferences or anything.

So I ask of you, people of Serenes, which anime would you recommend?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm here are a few you can try Naruto I recommend Part II hmm which FMA did you see? there is another one FMA Brotherhood that is way better than the first one. umm Inukami is another one its more comedy than anything but great the manga is better for me though. You can also try Rurouni Kenshin very good with a great mix of old japanese history and fiction,YuYu Hakusho if you have not seen it yet do so now now Lol its quite good,Ronin Warriors ah that one is a classic,Chobits pretty great one the story opens bit by bit as you go on and has a sweet ending. Hmm try Samurai 7 its short but great Jing King of Bandits is another great one again short 12 episodes long I`m on episode 5 now. Soul Eater is ok but I have not gone too far into it yet and thats it for now I`ll have to remember more that I`ve seen then tell you.

Attack on Titan is pretty lolmazing. New episode tomorrow! Hell yeah.

Also, err... all of these animes are indeed very good. I have seen them all, unfortunately. I probably should have listed the one`s I`ve seen from the get go. Sorry about that.

Attack on Titan

Death Note

Sword Art Online

FMA

FMA: Brotherhood

Deadman Wonderland

Chobits

Trigun

Cowboy Bepop

Neon Genesis Evangelion + Rebuild

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumia

Black Butler

Eureka Seven

True Tears

YuYu Hakusho

Code Geass

Inuyasha

Soul Eater

Hellsing

Naruto

Bleach

I haven`t seen Samurai Seven and it seems pretty cool. I think I`ll give that a go.

Others recommendations are still appreciated. It`s a looooong vacation that I have been given.

Attack on Titan is pretty lolmazing. New episode tomorrow! Hell yeah.

Also, err... all of these animes are indeed very good. I have seen them all, unfortunately. I probably should have listed the one`s I`ve seen from the get go. Sorry about that.

Attack on Titan

Death Note

Sword Art Online

FMA

FMA: Brotherhood

Deadman Wonderland

Chobits

Trigun

Cowboy Bepop

Neon Genesis Evangelion + Rebuild

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumia

Black Butler

Eureka Seven

True Tears

YuYu Hakusho

Code Geass

Inuyasha

Soul Eater

Hellsing

Naruto

Bleach

I haven`t seen Samurai Seven and it seems pretty cool. I think I`ll give that a go.

Others recommendations are still appreciated. It`s a looooong vacation that I have been given.

Ah I see no problem haha yeah you will love samurai 7 its a wonderful show but so short but its awesome and the ending song for it is amazing ah!! I remembered one have you seen Casshern sins yet? that one is another good one though at times it moves quite slow sadly its another short anime that one was not around too long either.

If you want a few blasts from the past, Record of Lodoss Wars and Outlaw Star are always good. Voltron and Gundam Wing was pretty good. Vandread is also entertaining, though I think Outlaw Star is my favorite out of all of them. Don't know how much luck you'll have in finding episodes online though. I got the box set after it went off the air.

Wow, this is bound to keep me busy for awhile. Thanks, you guys.

Ah I see no problem haha yeah you will love samurai 7 its a wonderful show but so short but its awesome and the ending song for it is amazing ah!! I remembered one have you seen Casshern sins yet? that one is another good one though at times it moves quite slow sadly its another short anime that one was not around too long either.

I haven`t seen that one yet. I`ll add it to my (recently created) to watch list. But first, those two movies!

Popping in because I'm bored I recently watched Shinryaku! Ika Musume and it was definitely one of the best ones I've seen in a looong time. It's kinda comedic slice of life with minimal high school scenes if you're into that.

I'd usually have a whole list to recommend, but you've watched a lot of them or people have mentioned them (and I'm sleepy right now), so I'll leave you with this recommendation, stamped with my solid seal of approval:

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)

Have fun.

I`ve heard many good things about both Baccano and Durarara, although I have no idea why they are always recommended together. Will try nonetheless.

Watch Planetes, if you're into engaging storylines, interesting character development and conflicts, deep and thought-provoking themes, that sort of thing.

Seems interesting. Lemme look this up to--

ibi8hcW463RSWk.PNG

lol

I`ve heard many good things about both Baccano and Durarara, although I have no idea why they are always recommended together. Will try nonetheless.

ibi8hcW463RSWk.PNG

lol

Drrr!! is made by the same dude and is seen as a spiritual sequel to Baccano.

Like some other people have said, Baccano! and Durarara!! is really good place to start. Also, try the dub for Baccano! it is really good, at least for me.

My personal recommendation is Mushishi, episodic supernatural, slice-of-life anime that is really good. Each episode contain strong idea about human nature itself form their interaction from mushi. Spice and Wolf is good too, and I would also recommend you to watch Dennou Coil, a rather underrated/under radar anime.

If it movies, I would recommend another title Satoshi Kon beside Paprika that Rehab just post, that is Tokyo Godfather and Millennium Actress.

ibi8hcW463RSWk.PNG

lol

Both are written by the same and have setting in the same universe. They also have similarities because of that like supernatural element and have a huge cast of characters. First half of Durarara!! also have similar narration style with Baccano! to a lesser extent.

Edited by Shengar

Seconding the reccomendation for Dennou Coil. Aside from that, Madoka Magica and Gurren Lagann are extremely popular and always fantastic recommendations. If you end up liking Gurren Lagann you should also watch Getter Robo Armageddon.

Also, I see Eureka Seven in your list. Here's a little warning: do not watch Eureka Seven AO under any circumstances.

Edit: Actually, I'm just gonna link the ADTRWiki page on this

Edited by Hikarasuman

Also, I see Eureka Seven in your list. Here's a little warning: do not watch Eureka Seven AO under any circumstances.

Edit: Actually, I'm just gonna link the ADTRWiki page on this

It was that bad, huh? What a shame I was actually planning on watching that further down the line.

Also, I now have my list.

Samurai Seven
Casshern
Record of Lodoss Wars
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
One Outs
Baccano
Durarara
Planetes
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)
Mushishi
Spice and Wolf
Dennou Coil
Madoka Magica
Gurren Lagann

This is going to be a good summer.

Like some other people have said, Baccano! and Durarara!! is really good place to start. Also, try the dub for Baccano! it is really good, at least for me.

My personal recommendation is Mushishi, episodic supernatural, slice-of-life anime that is really good. Each episode contain strong idea about human nature itself form their interaction from mushi. Spice and Wolf is good too, and I would also recommend you to watch Dennou Coil, a rather underrated/under radar anime.

If it movies, I would recommend another title Satoshi Kon beside Paprika that Rehab just post, that is Tokyo Godfather and Millennium Actress.

Both are written by the same and have setting in the same universe. They also have similarities because of that like supernatural element and have a huge cast of characters. First half of Durarara!! also have similar narration style with Baccano! to a lesser extent.

I prefer the dub, as it simply makes sense in the context of the show.

Also, I forgot to mention Trigun, one of my favorites.

I'm going to go with your list you gave as both a literal telling of everything anime related you've ever seen and also of anime that you found interesting. In that regard:

One Piece: You didn't have it in your list, so I'll assume you haven't checked it out or didn't like it much. If it's the former, give the manga a read immediately and forego the anime, unless you're a fan of watching like a billion episodes of filler. If it's the latter, then I would implore you continue reading at least until Crocodile is revealed and battled as an antagonist, as it really doesn't fall into its groove until that point. Later portions of the manga involve some truly epic battles that are unmatched both in and out of the shonen genre.

Gundam (in general): You didn't list any of the series at all, and aside from series that are dimly related to mecha such as Eureka, Code Geass, etc. you didn't list any mech anime. So I would definitely recommend you check out the series. Normally I'd tell you to venture into the UC series from the start, but if you're one of them youngsters that likes newer action and explosions and good animation then I'd say you should give Gundam 00 a shot. It's got lots of fighting, KABLOOWIE, etc.

Durarara!: Others here have recommended Baccanno, and that's a good one too, but if you're just jumping into it and you're not sure if you're ready DRRR is way easier to plow through. The plot's more modern and doesn't involve as much jumping around, so it's easier to absorb.

Rurouni Kenshin: This is a pretty big one. It's got action, romance, comedy, it's really a little bit of everything. It's a great introduction to samurai/ninja anime and the like, as it's more lighthearted and soft on both violence and terminology compared to some heavier ones.

Love Hina: You listed Chobits so I'll assume you at least found that slice-of-life romance genre to be interesting. Love Hina's a great romcom series with classic characters that helped invent the tsundere cliche that exists today. It's funny, it's cute, and the cast and plot are all suitably enjoyable. What's more unlike many more ecchi-style anime that come out these days, it actually ends with established romances instead of leaving it hanging. I hate it when they do that so much.

20th Century Boys: You listed Death Note; well 20th Century Boys is what Death Note wishes it could be. Kind of. The story is suitably dark but features a diverse cast and an engaging plot. It's a great mystery-style manga that leaves you guessing up until the end as to what's going on.

Ghost in the Shell: You have already probably seen this one before, but in case you haven't, it's somewhat like a more realistic Cowboy Bebop. It's episodic in nature but the plot tends to deal with murders and various violent crime that would exist in a technologically advanced world. The plot and animation are both mature but still accessible, and the cast is definitely memorable. It's a blast and you can eat it up in bites since it tends to lack plot arcs like other anime.

Black Lagoon: Over-the-top violence and hilarious characters is what Black Lagoon's all about. It's like Cowboy Bebop in the present if everyone said fuck a lot and Spike was a woman on her period every day. Check it out, you'll probably like it.

Fooly Cooly: Another one you've probably seen on Toonami on one of its millionth re-runs, FLCL is one of those anime you just have to check out once before you die. It's zany, it's hilarious, and it's incomprehensible from beginning to end. Give it a watch.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi: The great thing about HSDK is that it's just a really consistent shonen. Unlike Bleach and Naruto, it just has a great pace with the main character's progression from wimp to...well, you'll see. It has some of the best fights in the genre, and the plot is overall both easy to grasp and great fun to read. There's an anime for it but it doesn't go very far into the manga and the animation is pretty sub-par. So I'd recommend you stick to the manga.

I could also give a good list of anime films for you to check out, but these are what I'd recommend if you were looking for series to start looking deeper into anime and manga.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Oh yeah, because you watched Cowboy Bepop, you probably want to check Samurai Champloo too since it come for the same creator. If Cowboy Bepop is Jazz, then Samurai Champloo is hip-hop.

I prefer the dub, as it simply makes sense in the context of the show.

Also, I forgot to mention Trigun, one of my favorites.

I'm not fond of english dub because many of them are really bad. But for Baccano! Funimation really did a good job with it. Those accent might be not perfect, but they are still a nice little touch considering the characters are mostly foreigner from different nation.