Anime Recommendations?

TatsuyaSuou

Oh yeah, because you watched Cowboy Bepop, you probably want to check Samurai Champloo too since it come for the same creator. If Cowboy Bepop is Jazz, then Samurai Champloo is hip-hop.

Absolutely second this. Samurai Champloo is much like Cowboy Bebop in some respects (Steven J. Blum even plays the puffy-haired rascal that looks like Spike! :D), but it's far more consistently comedy based for the majority of the time.

I will say that the fight scenes in Samurai Champloo are some of the best around. It's just a blast to watch them really animate the whole damn thing without annoying cuts to black screens with static white slashes and cutting noises.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thoroughly enjoyed Cowboy Bepop, it easily makes my top 5 list. Looks like I`ll add Samurai Shaploo to the list.

One Piece: You didn't have it in your list, so I'll assume you haven't checked it out or didn't like it much. If it's the former, give the manga a read immediately and forego the anime, unless you're a fan of watching like a billion episodes of filler. If it's the latter, then I would implore you continue reading at least until Crocodile is revealed and battled as an antagonist, as it really doesn't fall into its groove until that point. Later portions of the manga involve some truly epic battles that are unmatched both in and out of the shonen genre.

Yes I have heard of it. But the whole "pirates" thing never caught my attention. I`ll probably end up reading the manga because I hate endless filler but like Naruto and Bleach for some probably hypocritical reason.

I thoroughly enjoyed Cowboy Bepop, it easily makes my top 5 list. Looks like I`ll add Samurai Shaploo to the list.

Yes I have heard of it. But the whole "pirates" thing never caught my attention. I`ll probably end up reading the manga because I hate endless filler but like Naruto and Bleach for some probably hypocritical reason.

Bleach became terrible after the first two arcs...

For One Piece I prefer read the manga though, since it doesn't have any non-sensical filler and great art from Eiichiro Oda. I have noticed the background detail in the anime terribly lacking compared to the manga. The only part I prefer watching rather than reading maybe only the Marineford War Arc.

Just like Naruto isn't really about ninja, One Piece isn't really about pirates. I mean they're pirates, but they're not really pirates.

Trust me. It gets really, really good.

Hmmmmm I haven't really watched very much anime

But I must say I really really enjoyed Steins;Gate =3 It can be quite silly but it also has its dark and serious moments... all the feels ;~; It's science fictiony because it has to do with time traveling!

Hopefully that'd be something you'd really enjoy too~

Dang wish I saw this sooner I would have given you some recs instantly. Glad a lot of other people chimed in. I think you've got a pretty good list already, and the ones that Esau recommended are good as well. If I had to add some in, I'd say check out: Full Metal Panic! (solid mecha anime), Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (really popular shounen, and for good reason), and Ergo Proxy (psychological cyberpunk anime that'll have you thinking).

• 8 years later...

I enjoy watching multiple anime at once, for different purposes (example: Not watching Sarazanmai on the bus, while Futari wa Precure: Max Heart is great while waiting for bus after work)
Ongoing:
1-Sarazanmai
2-pokemon insurgence team online
3-OPM S2
4-Isekai Quartet
5-Senko-san
6-Hitori Bocchi
7-Dragon ball filler list.
8-Nauto filer list here
9-The Rose of Versailles
10-Heidi: Girl of the Alps
11-My hero academia filler list.
**Favorites / Least Favorites:
**Sarazanmai and Yuu Yuu Hakusho is my favorite of the ongoing shows on animefillerlist, while The Rose of Versailles is probably my favorite of the non-ongoing shows. Dororo is probably my least favorite of the ongoing right now, varying in quality between the episodes. Tweeny Witches is my least favorite of the non-ongoing shows. 

Edited by rayanwatts

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a small list of anime I would recommend; I have not checked to see if anyone else has already recommended these or not.

One-Punch Man: It is a parody of battle shonen anime that deconstructs the whole concept of power-scaling. The story is about a hero named Saitama, who is so powerful that he can defeat any opponent in a single punch, frustrating him to no end as it leaves him completely bored. It's absolutely hilarious and it's brilliantly written. Season 1 in particular is fantastic; season 2 was a lot less good in terms of animation quality and it rushed from plot point to plot point, but the plot and humour is still good.

Violet Evergarden: This is simultaneously the most saddening and the most heartwarming anime I have ever watched. It's a fantastic show; I would just recommend watching it with a box of tissue beside you; odds are that it will make you cry.

My Hero Academia: A battle shonen that takes place in a world of superheroes. It's well-written and well-animated.

Black Clover: My personal favourite battle shonen right now. This one takes place in a medieval fantasy setting where everyone has magic; everyone that is, except for the protagonist. It has a bit of a rocky start, but it gets very good, very quickly, and it just keeps improving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, vanguard333 said:

My Hero Academia: A battle shonen that takes place in a world of superheroes. It's well-written and well-animated.

It generally is. Perhaps a little conventional but overall very competent. Its easily the ''successor' of Naruto for everyone wanting to transition to a new anime when it ended. Its all really good.

Except in the anime adaption for season 5 where some genius intellect was like ''Hey! How about we shift arcs around and completely cripple the phasing, and then needing to rush the best arc when it turns out we don't have enough episodes!''

I'm generally full of praise for the anime but the handling of My Villain Academia is making me very grumpy. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It generally is. Perhaps a little conventional but overall very competent. Its easily the ''successor' of Naruto for everyone wanting to transition to a new anime when it ended. Its all really good.

Except in the anime adaption for season 5 where some genius intellect was like ''Hey! How about we shift arcs around and completely cripple the phasing, and then needing to rush the best arc when it turns out we don't have enough episodes!''

I'm generally full of praise for the anime but the handling of My Villain Academia is making me very grumpy. 

To this day, I still find it weird how, when My Hero Academia released, it got lauded as a "successor" of Naruto, and yet, when Black Clover released, despite it having more in common with stuff like Bleach, it got mocked and reviled as a "ripoff" of Naruto.

I think the main reason for the shuffling was because of the new movie, but I'm not sure.

Are they really rushing the My Villain Academia arc? I know what happens in that arc, but I haven't actually read it; are there things that they skipped or something like that?

24 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

To this day, I still find it weird how, when My Hero Academia released, it got lauded as a "successor" of Naruto, and yet, when Black Clover released, despite it having more in common with stuff like Bleach, it got mocked and reviled as a "ripoff" of Naruto.

I think the difference is that people think My Hero Academia shares many conventions of the typical shonen formula but expands on them or adjusts those that don't work, while Black Clover just copies the shonen convention outright. One is an evolution, the other just an iteration. Though this view typically comes FROM My Hero Fans with Black Clover fans probably having a different take on things. I think the contrast in main characters also played a part. Midoriya is in many ways the exact opposite of the typical shonen hero while Asta is the energetic, loudmouthed young boy wanting to be king of the(insert cool group here) that all big anime seem to have. 

That's the general vibe I picked up when both anime first started airing though these days common opinion is that Black Clover turned itself around. 

24 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Are they really rushing the My Villain Academia arc? I know what happens in that arc, but I haven't actually read it; are there things that they skipped or something like that?

They do seem to skip some things. The arc is supposed to have a big focus on Spinner and his inner turmoil, about the struggle that mutant quirks face and the League mostly having abandoned Stain's ideology as well as the League murdering some human supremacist villains who mock Twice. Some parts of the conversation with the doctor are skipped too. They also cut a pretty neat introduction of Destro, where you first see him in his civilian life as a benevolent businessman before coldly murdering his secretary when that secretary unknowingly criticizes the villain group Destro secretly leads. Similarly his capture of the League's broker is significantly condensed. 

And that's just the first episode. I'm not sure what more got skipped since the dub hasn't reached that part yet. But they better do Twice justice when his big moment comes. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

31 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Because people are dumb and don’t understand how comparison work

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the difference is that people think My Hero Academia shares many conventions of the typical shonen formula but expands on them or adjusts those that don't work, while Black Clover just copies the shonen convention outright. One is an evolution, the other just an iteration. Though this view typically comes FROM My Hero Fans with Black Clover fans probably having a different take on things. I think the contrast in main characters also played a part. Midoriya is in many ways the exact opposite of the typical shonen hero while Asta is the energetic, loudmouthed young boy wanting to be king of the(insert cool group here) that all big anime seem to have. 

That's the general vibe I picked up when both anime first started airing though these days common opinion is that Black Clover turned itself around. 

You would be correct in that Black Clover fans have a different take on things. Honestly, I never once saw Black Clover as derivative or iterative; anyone who said it was one of those two things wasn't paying attention as, like My Hero Academia, it did expand on the conventions of the shonen formula and adjust ones that don't work.

I can agree that Asta at first glance can seem like the typical shonen protagonist. I will just say that one area where it should've been obvious to viewers that Black Clover was not just an iteration was with the main rival: Yuno. Even My Hero Academia still went with the typical abrasive & antagonist shonen rival in Bakugo; the main differences being that Bakugo picked up all the shonen-protagonist traits that Midoriya shed and that he outright defied the rival-turned-evil trope. With Yuno, however, while he initially is presented as resembling the typical shonen rival: aloof, talented, etc., he turns out to be a complete subversion of the trope as early as episode 1: he isn't antagonistic towards Asta at all; just the opposite: he deeply respects and looks up to Asta, and their rivalry is mutually-supportive and brotherly. It even turns out that he isn't even aloof: he's just an introverted and socially-awkward individual who can seem stoic because he vowed at a young age to stop being a crybaby, and he's just not very good at communicating with people other than Asta.

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

They do seem to skip some things. The arc is supposed to have a big focus on Spinner and his inner turmoil, about the struggle that mutant quirks face and the League mostly having abandoned Stain's ideology as well as the League murdering some human supremacist villains who mock Twice. Some parts of the conversation with the doctor are skipped too. They also cut a pretty neat introduction of Destro, where you first see him in his civilian life as a benevolent businessman before coldly murdering his secretary when that secretary unknowingly criticizes the villain group Destro secretly leads. Similarly his capture of the League's broker is significantly condensed. 

And that's just the first episode. I'm not sure what more got skipped since the dub hasn't reached that part yet. But they better do Twice justice when his big moment comes. 

I see. Yeah; even I noticed that some of that stuff was missing. At first I figured that some of it was because of the arc being framed as a flashback, but as it shifts perspective between different members of the league, it's clear that they could've still kept all that stuff.

I will just say, as someone who watches it with subtitles instead of watching the dub: don't worry; Twice is done justice.

11 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Because people are dumb and don’t understand how comparison work

Yeah; probably a bit of that as well. It still just baffles me why one got lauded as a successor while the other, which had less in common, got reviled as a ripoff.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I see. Yeah; even I noticed that some of that stuff was missing. At first I figured that some of it was because of the arc being framed as a flashback, but as it shifts perspective between different members of the league, it's clear that they could've still kept all that stuff.

I will just say, as someone who watches it with subtitles instead of watching the dub: don't worry; Twice is done justice.

There's also the thing that Hawk's (great) subplot during the Endeavor arc already spoiled how My Villain Academia ends and how dangerous the League becomes. It felt a bit off. And that's nice to hear about Twice. 

24 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There's also the thing that Hawk's (great) subplot during the Endeavor arc already spoiled how My Villain Academia ends and how dangerous the League becomes. It felt a bit off. And that's nice to hear about Twice. 

True. As I said, the most likely reason they adapted the arcs out-of-order was to coincide with the third movie: World Heroes Mission. I was okay with them being out-of-order as I had a good idea of what happened in the manga, but them cutting out stuff is a real shame, especially since each season has 25 episodes and, even if there wasn't room for every part of the arc, they've ended seasons midway through arcs before.

• 3 weeks later...

I will always recommend Trigun and Big O, because of the ways they get you to reflect on yourself, and others around you. Life is about more than just action and entertainment, and the deeper things you consider often highly contribute to your growth as a person and the way you treat other people.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

@Etrurian emperor Well, all of season 5 of My Hero Academia has released; what did you think of it overall (and what do you think of how it handled the Villain Academia arc overall, arc-shuffling aside)?

I still like it but its the first time I've had to like My Hero despite certain aspects rather than because of then. The first part kinda suffers by Class 1-B really not being all that interesting, then the Endeavor arc is really good and My Villain Academia had to be compromised. I especially think poor Redestro got a little bit snubbed. He missed some key character moments that were in the manga.

I'm especially a little sore on the filler. Having to shuffle my Villain Academy around because of a lack of episodes and then doing a beach episode is already a bad look, but it be fine if the beach episode had been more interesting. Seeing team Nejire fight some actually impressive pirates might have been fun but the stakes were significantly more mundane.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

18 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I still like it but its the first time I've had to like My Hero despite certain aspects rather than because of then. The first part kinda suffers by Class 1-B really not being all that interesting, then the Endeavor arc is really good and My Villain Academia had to be compromised. I especially think poor Redestro got a little bit snubbed. He missed some key character moments that were in the manga.

I'm especially a little sore on the filler. Having to shuffle my Villain Academy around because of a lack of episodes and then doing a beach episode is already a bad look, but it be fine if the beach episode had been more interesting. Seeing team Nejire fight some actually impressive pirates might have been fun but the stakes were significantly more mundane.

I see.

I liked that we got to see all of class b, though I agree that a large number of them could've been more interesting.

I agree about the Endeavor arc.

Yeah; real shame about the Villain Academia arc and Re-Destro.

Yeah; I agree. The thing about that episode that makes it even worse is that it's a tie-in episode for the movie, and yet, like with the tie-in episode for the Two Heroes movie back in season 3, the actual tie-in only really happened at the end. I mean, yes, the whole episode is about chasing pirates that are smuggling drugs for the movie villains, but the actual tie-in part of that is only the last 30 seconds of the episode, and it probably isn't even an important setup like All Might receiving the email from Melissa Shield and inviting Deku to I-Island was for Two Heroes. Plus, the second movie, Heroes Rising, didn't even have a tie-in episode. So, there's no real point to the filler episode in regards to the upcoming movie.

• 2 months later...

This isn't my recommendation but my favourite :

- Sword Art Online

- The Irregular at Magic High School

- Bleach

- Fullmetal Alchemist

- Naruto Shippuden

- No game no Life

- Rising of the Shield Hero

- Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World

- Seirei Gensouki

• 2 months later...