The Royal Sprite Topic of Myself

MarioKirby

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try moving it down a few pixels and see how it looks. Moving it to the right might take more arranging due to hackbox limits.

xstEDNl.png

Here's the current progress in the hackbox template, in case it helps with critique. I appreciate the help, as well.

As an aside, I've also started working on the hair detail.

33c0afc60911d1285ad57ed117280f97.png

Sorry, super rough edits, half because I'm rusty af, and half because I couldn't be fucked to break out a tablet.

mostly just moved stuff around

major issue was the fact the breastplate was more front-facing whereas the rest of him is nearly in profile

everything else is just tweaking

biggest issue obvs is the lack of horizontal space due to the oversized horns; nice aesthetic, but maybe not space-efficient >:

also questionable rim lighting from the near pauldron; kind of questionable light source throughout, actually? breastplate says it's coming from us, pauldron says to the side a little behind him, and head/hair implies it's from us, just above

JU9dwTY.png

More of this upvamp style, this time with the rival character. Amusingly, the protagonist sprite was unintentionally 15 colors, as I had intended for said sprite to be composed of two separate sprites, one each for the head and body.

• 1 month later...

2bJlbuS.png

Another character in the this style. Came to be due to my internet not working properly for two weeks or so. Really like how this one turned out, especially the palette.

Nice. I love all the different styles you come up with. Just refreshing and fascinating to view and see what you come up with next.

Latest style is fun. Red hair makes me think of Hisoka from HunterXHunter. Guardsman is the best looking of the three so far. Likely due to his size allowing for more detail and definition.

That mug is pretty sweet. I might widen the body a little bit more though.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I love all the different styles you come up with. Just refreshing and fascinating to view and see what you come up with next.

Latest style is fun. Red hair makes me think of Hisoka from HunterXHunter. Guardsman is the best looking of the three so far. Likely due to his size allowing for more detail and definition.

That mug is pretty sweet. I might widen the body a little bit more though.

Thank you. I think the reason I switch up what I do, sprite-wise, is because doing so is kinda like sketching for me. I use it to put form to ideas and to practice/branch out my skill set.

Speaking of sketches:

D5caMxE.png

Doodled out a bear character (a bear-racter, if you will) in this style. I like the overall design, but I feel like either the colors or the shading is...off, somehow. Not sure how, though.

uieL6aP.png

And more of the knight-guy, this time with 200% more swords.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NZVsvjY.png

Finally managed to get somewhere with this style. It took me forever to get the arms to look remotely decent. Anyway, the first is kinda a base design, with the second having some extra design choices and the third further having an axe.

Neat. Isn't he pantless in Zelda 2 though?

Shhhh nobody wants to mention the dark ages of Zelda....

Anyway your style is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know if you know the guy, but the style somewhat reminds me of Konjak's style. (The guy worked on titles such as the Shantae games, Contra 4 and Iconoclasts)

Shhhh nobody wants to mention the dark ages of Zelda....

Anyway your style is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know if you know the guy, but the style somewhat reminds me of Konjak's style. (The guy worked on titles such as the Shantae games, Contra 4 and Iconoclasts)

While the resemblance is purely coincidental, being compared to professional work is a high compliment that I will definitely take. Thank you! :D

And regarding the pants, I did try going back and simply recoloring the pants to skin color, but it didn't look right to me. I can try again, though, if anybody wants to see it.

Also, some new and old things:

p7hynxb.png

I've had this idea for a character design - a 50s greaser recreated in a modern style - for a while now, but only recently was I able to take said idea and put it to paper, so to speak, in an accurate and, IMO, appealing style. It's still a WIP, with the middle sprite there to help judge the proportions of the far-left sprite. The two heads are different designs for his eyebrows.

And speaking of greasers:

XiNBJ1g.png

I jump from idea to idea quite a lot. I also tend to sprite potential ideas on existing files, so sometimes what happens is, if I'm not getting a lot of inspiration on a piece, I'll hop to an older piece and do touch-ups or redo a sprite completely, the former of which I did to this guy. The other sprites are for comparison.

LXGAgYJ.png

I also went back to change Mr. Bear's design to something that is more aesthetically pleasing as well as tweaking the overall design.

Also, holy cow, I didn't intend for this post to be this long.

• 2 months later...

Sprite haul!

N7lBEVD.png

AX9klQY.png

lTiwWDb.png

BtsPHAJ.png

2lfsvZn.png

zdCjyUE.png

A number of odds-and-ends sprites that I've been making in my free time, some being tweaks to existing sprites; some being revamps of other existing sprites; and some being new pieces.

• 2 months later...

Anything in particular about the expression that you don't like? Too stern? Too boring?

Also:

gz4SHlr.png

Some minor tweak possibilities for this AoL upvamp style. The middle two feature some slight facial shading differences, with the bottom-middle working on a GBA color limit; and the right slightly changing the facial structure.

• 5 months later...

I just stumbled upon this topic and I have to say I love your work. Especially the mini characters from May 2016, they are full of personality and flavour. Have you done more in that style?

On 2016-10-20 at 6:01 PM, MarioKirby said:

N7lBEVD.png

I also like this style, the red coat girl would be my favourite character in whatever type of game she could be in, lol.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, Halogen said:

You have a lot of really cool sprites! All your stuff looks pretty clean and detailed. New guy is cute, very big-headed. His cowlick seems a little extreme though.

Thank you! And the new guy was my attempt at a kinda chibi style, plus I wanted to exaggerate some of the features to practice making a full animation rather than just the single sprite.

2 hours ago, Capibarainspace said:

I just stumbled upon this topic and I have to say I love your work. Especially the mini characters from May 2016, they are full of personality and flavour. Have you done more in that style?

I also like this style, the red coat girl would be my favourite character in whatever type of game she could be in, lol.

Thank you as well! And I have done a few more sprites with that style. I actually really like that set in particular, as I (someday) want to try and use it for an actual game.

The second style was my attempt at a style similar to the handheld Castlevania titles. Both the perspective and the designs were rather different to what I usually do, so I'm glad to hear that people like it.

• 1 month later...

So, I've been playing a decent amount of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe recently, and I really like the design of the female Villager.

GCt2YSg.png

So I whipped this up real quick when I didn't have access to the internet.

I always love wandering into your thread, bud. Such great variety and creativity!

Think I prefer the noseless villager there, as the two pixel width for the nose kinda muddies up the detail of the eye.