99 members have voted

1. 1. Do they?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of Eyvel/Dagdar [they kinda both fill the role at first] on your list disturbs me. But anyways, Jeigans are usually always solid. There is just a stigma between people who find them effective or those who find them as EXP wasters.

Jeigans being:

Jeigan (duh)

That guy from FE12

Oifey

FE6 Marcus

FE7 Marcus

Seth

Titania

Sothe

Frederick

Poor Aran. : (

They are quite the opposite of sucky! All of them range from useful to paramount, depending on the game and difficulty. Some of them fade more than others do, but fortunately you aren't forced to deploy them if they have already served their purpose.

Edited by SRC

Kinda varies from game to game in my opinion.

Jeigan starts strong but really tends to fall off later on. Same with Arran, FE6!Marcus and Eyvale.

Oifey, Dagdar, FE7!Marcus, Seth and Titania never fall off, and remain good all game.

Frederick is somewhere in between the two, as is Sothe. I would say both are closer to the second group rather than the first.

No. Most early game prepromotes have a nonexistent or negligible period in which they're substandard, and all of them are dominant when they join.

inb4 semantic definition of "suck"

It REALLY depends on what you want out of the game. Are you going for LTC? They're really helpful for that. Do you want to get the most experience for your buck? They're not quite as good as that, especially early.

Depends on whether or not you're doing an LTC challenge or anything similar. Other than that, a few of them tend to be terrible due to low growths, and sometimes low base stats as well. Sothe and Titania are actually good in Radiant Dawn (they have great base stats too), and definitely usable because of the implementation of a 3rd tier, but Titania is only decent in PoR (not awful statwise like a true Jeigan) and Fredrick can become as good as most other characters because of the limitless reclassing. Seth managed to keep up fairly well on my second Sacred Stones play, so I can't call him bad. Jagen is just absolutely horrid. His base stats are nothing special, his growths are simply laughable, nor is he versatile in any way because of the lack of rescuing in the Archanea series. You can use him to weaken enemies in the max difficulty to help everyone else, but that's about it. I'm not far enough in Holy War to say anything about Oifey yet. Arran is sadly the same. As for Marcus, he's basically the prime example of a jeigan from the first part of my comment. Statwise, he's just super weak in FE6.

Edited by Ashen Tempest

Why?

I used her during my first play, and while her stats weren't particularly excellent, she was still quite usable. She was a rather tanky for a paladin, and to top all it off, she has Canto. Canto is the reason mounted units are so good in the Tellius games.

inb4 semantic definition of "suck"

bro do you even necessariness

I think characters from the jeigan archetype to be fantastic all around, whatever you're playing as. Obviously they're some of the best characters for ltc and efficiency, but even for everything else, like for example, even if you aren't going to use them longterm, you can still use them as weakening meatshields for early/midgame. That alone is far more useful than what chumps like Rebecca can do.

Edited by Constable Reggie

I used her during my first play, and while her stats weren't particularly excellent, she was still quite usable. She was a rather tanky for a paladin, and to top all it off, she has Canto. Canto is the reason mounted units are so good in the Tellius games.

the question is more like "why is she only decent"

considering that titania is a contender for best unit in the game

It depends on the mode. Whenever I've played a Fire Emblem game, the easy and normal (or hard in Awakening's case) modes are modes I never need Jeigans on, because I find I can fight competently without them.

However, if it's on Hard/Lunatic, I find them almost completely necessary, with prime examples being units like Titania, Frederick and FE6 Marcus. They're basically what carries your team for the first few chapters, or possibly even further on, until your other units (or, in Awakening's case, the Avatar and like 2 other people) go up to speed.

I suppose the only exception to not needing Jeigans on the medium difficulty is in PoR, where I needed Titania to defend the right in Hope and Despair (shudder).

Speaking from design standpoint, Arran, Jeigan, Frederick, and FE6 Marcus are the best of the bunch

I would like another game with a "FE6!Marcus" to be honest. Maybe not to the point where we have insane chapters like FE6 chapter 7, but I particularly liked the usefulness of Marcus in that game's hm

Yes, they do. They start out overpowered and never really become bad. In a game that is supposed to be about raising your team up, they utterly curbstomp everything. I define that as 'suck'. It's like starting a game of Pokemon with a 100 Mewtwo. It robs investments in other mons of any meaning.

Yes, they do. They start out overpowered and never really become bad. In a game that is supposed to be about raising your team up, they utterly curbstomp everything. I define that as 'suck'. It's like starting a game of Pokemon with a 100 Mewtwo. It robs investments in other mons of any meaning.

Nidoking = Seth

Raticate = Arran

Yes. Jeigans are a badly-designed relic of the past and should be consigned to the scrapheap.

I'm down with that, but can we get rid of units like Donnel as well? It's not like their growths rate are really that big of a deal with how inflated the growths have gotten through the series.

wat

Of course not.

Jagen in FE11 has Silver Lance access, which makes him pretty clutch early on. As well as the best bases out of everyone in the group. He can also reclass to Dracoknight and be useful with a Ridersbane forever. Of course, he does fall off statistically though. But it's not as soon as some people say.

Arran in FE12 is useful at first due to being able to reclass to General and be the tankiest team member in earlly Lunatic, otherwise, the game is so centered around growths that he just can't keep up. He has his uses here and there though. Like, sending him to do side objectives.

Can't comment on Oifey because Ill never play that game.

FE6 Marcus is hella awesome early on, needed, even. Even though he falls off, he can be a Taxi, which still keeps him useful. Especially in a game all about movement.

FE7 Marcus can solo HHM, 'nuff said. Extremely strong bases and your best unit for basically forever, unless you do Lyn Hard Mode and Sain/Kent grew well.

FE8 Seth. Lol, this guy. Better growths than the growth cavalier Franz. Extremely overpowered bases. Good move, can solo his game with Eirika on his back.

FE9 Titania. Almost Seth. Ridiculous growths that are once again better than like, the rest of the cast's. Extremely strong bases. Clutch early on and never really falls off. Access to self healing in Enemy Phase, axes, forges and the Knight ward all contribute to her OP-ness.

FE10 Sothe. Amazing and actually clutch for Part 1, good for Part 3 to have around to beastkiller and terrible in Part 4. His contributions are invaluable.

FE13 Fred. Pretty ridiculous too. Your best unit early on and actually really clutch. He falls off eventually in Lunatic, though he's definetely extremely clutch there for a goood while.

How can you consider Jagen a bad unit in any game featuring him.

In Dark Dragon he's a better unit than Draug, Hardin's band of losers, Dolph, all of the Archer/Snipers, Matthis, Midia, etc. The enemies aren't all that strong. He's mounted. Etc.

Edited by The Void