Do Jeigans suck overall?

Chiki

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do they?

• Yes
    • No

Finn in FE4 in general is weird because he's around for both generations the way he is and he's definitely not a Jeigan for the first four maps you have with him. And if you raise him to BE a Jeigan to Leaf and Nanna when he reappears, can you really call him a Jeigan when you had to raise him to that point? Especially when if you don't raise him he's definitely not going to be serving as a Jeigan. >.>

Looks like he's stretched all over the place, when you stop to look at him.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come to think of it.. has anyone ever made a challenge to play the game with only jeigans and lord?

Lumi brags about playing fe8 with Eirika mostly in Seth's saddlebags and nobody else deployed. So yeah.

Lumi brags about playing fe8 with Eirika mostly in Seth's saddlebags and nobody else deployed. So yeah.

fe7 EHM/HNM!Marcus solo. Fe9 Tits is probobly possible. fe4 Sigurd is possible. Dunno about fe1 Jeigan.

fe7 EHM/HNM!Marcus solo. Fe9 Tits is probobly possible. fe4 Sigurd is possible. Dunno about fe1 Jeigan.

Aren't the stat boosters pretty ridiculous in FE1?

On the subject of future Jeigans, maybe give them 0% or negative growths in some stats to prevent them from being game breaking? (If they are really old like FE6 Marcus)

Edited by Virion

come to think of it.. has anyone ever made a challenge to play the game with only jeigans and lord?

Not as hard as low level run 0/10!

Not as hard as low level run 0/10!

So true, especially low level runs with 0% growths!

I did Marth and THE Jeigan run some time ago on FE3 Book 1. Pretty mild on the Fire Emblem difficulty scale, but I did it on a console so it was legit AND licit. : P though I might have turtled and abused the chapter 19 secret shop stat boosters

FE11 normal mode I got bored and didn't finish, but it seemed hilariously easy.

As the resident FE1 "expert" I think FE1 Marth+Jeigan is very doable. Statbooster!Jeigan seems awesome and Marth can hold his own until the secret shops.

Aren't the stat boosters pretty ridiculous in FE1?

On the subject of future Jeigans, maybe give them 0% or negative growths in some stats to prevent them from being game breaking? (If they are really old like FE6 Marcus)

that sounds like a terrible idea, other units are supposed to pass the Jeigan up instead of the Jeigan literally sliding back to the level of the other units

also that would've made "pick a god and pray" not a thing

Edited by shadykid

that sounds like a terrible idea, other units are supposed to pass the Jeigan up instead of the Jeigan literally sliding back to the level of the other units

also that would've made "pick a god and pray" not a thing

The problem is that it's a delicate balancing act at best. A Jeigan will start with a huge statistical lead on their unpromoted counterparts and it will likely be between a third and half-a-game or so before the unpromoted units can compete on semi-similar grounds with the Jeigan's base stats. For example, FE9 Ike doesn't match Titania's base stats for a while. STR until level 15, SPD until 13-14 DEF until 15-16, and HP until 20. That's not to mention Titania's superior weapon selection, movement, and that she will be growing as well. While Ike will eventually surpass her, it won't be until the game is half-over and even then she remains viable.

That's the problem with Jeigans. Due to their high starting stats, it simply takes too long for non-Jeigan units to catch up and surpass. So having them slide back a little is a GOOD thing as it allows other units to catch up sooner.

That's the problem with Jeigans. Due to their high starting stats, it simply takes too long for non-Jeigan units to catch up and surpass. So having them slide back a little is a GOOD thing as it allows other units to catch up sooner.

Or they could just have...less high starting stats. I must be a freaking genius.

Or they could just have...less high starting stats. I must be a freaking genius.

I think that's what they did to FE DS's Jeigan. Except being promoted and having high lance rank still makes a big difference.

I think that's what they did to FE DS's Jeigan. Except being promoted and having high lance rank still makes a big difference.

Well, that's mostly because of how good effective weaponry is in FE11. And even then, it's not like he's broken or anything, so I don't think there was any problem with his balancing.

No they do not suck.

The Jeigan is there to help you get through sticky situations. He/she can also be good throughout the game despite the usual low growths. They can be used as utility units like ferry/rescue bots (seeing how they are mounted unless your name is Sothe) and tank/chokepoint holders. More naive players will avoid them because "OMG STEALIN' MY EXP!" but thats dumb if you know how to use the Jeigan. Its all about knowing how to use the Jeigan to your advantage. Whether it be for making hard modes easier, utility, boss kills, etc. LTC players love the Jeigan (and prepromotes in general) because they help get the job done quicker.

I'd say that Finn probably has more in common with Jeigan than any other character in the series bar Marcus.

Oifey?

Anyway, FE11!Jagen, Arran, and FE6!Marcus are all good examples of how to do Jagens. The only issue with FE11!Jagen is how broken effective weapons are because of forging. The only issue for Marcus is that characters like Percival and Miredy make actually raising characters completely pointless. FE12 had the issue of MU, Palla, Catria, and Sirius existing, who made Arran actually being pretty well balanced pointless.

So to "fix" Jagens:

1. Only slightly higher stats than unpromoted units (e.g. Jagen, Arran)

2. Absolutely terrible growths (e.g. Jagen, Arran)

3. Enemies grow fast enough that growths matter (so no FE7 enemy stats shit)

4. Late joining units (prepromote or otherwise) not being as good or better than growth units.

5. Not have game elements they can exploit (e.g. effective weapon forging)

I'd say keep them as something like paladin so they can keep utility value later on.

That actually doesn't seem that hard. I guess IS just doesn't care that much.

Edited by bottlegnomes

The Jeigan is there to help you get through sticky situations. He/she can also be good throughout the game despite the usual low growths. They can be used as utility units like ferry/rescue bots (seeing how they are mounted unless your name is Sothe)

Eyvel is also not mounted. could be used for ferrying if need be as a Swordmaster of all things :P

Then again she was completely immortal before the story removed her from your party for the majority of the game past the beginning

Edited by Jedi

Eyvel is also not mounted. could be used for ferrying if need be as a Swordmaster of all things :P

Then again she was completely immortal before the story removed her from your party for the majority of the game past the beginning

To be fair, i didnt play her game. D: