About Shadow and Dragons

Zitro

I have only played Awakening (not finished yet). But I was thinking of getting the only other FE I can get, Shadow Dragon (I own no GBA, GC, or Wii).

From a point if view of playing just FE: Awakening?:

Is it good?

Is it hard? I've grinded the crap out of my units in Awakening and I'm enjoying stomping through the game (I only play 1-2 Chapters a day, I'm at 18 currently).

How relevant is it to this game, game mechanics wise and story-wise?

Honestly, Shadow Dragon isn't that great, and is definitely the worst FE to date, imo. Gamecubes aren't that expensive these days, so I think you're better off buying one and Path of Radiance.

Edited by Anacybele

Shadow Dragon/FE11 isn't as enjoyable as FE13, but it's definitely playable. I find it rather underrated, actually.

Path of Radiance is really hard to find, BTW, and it's pretty expensive if you do find a copy of it. I suggest picking up FE11.

If you get a chance, play FE7 and FE8, too.

Shadow Dragon was really underwhelming, and didn't have a support mechanic iirc, which made it more tedious to get through. It's a remake of the first game, so the characters can be really dull at times.

That being said, it also lays down the basics for the series, so it's worth picking up, if just for that (Not to mention the numerous mentions of Mar-Mar in Awakening.)

But if you don't like SD, don't let it turn you off the series for good. The other games are better.

Path of Radiance is really hard to find, BTW, and it's pretty expensive if you do find a copy of it. I suggest picking up FE11.

PoR isn't expensive unless you're buying from an idiot seller. My copy was only $30. But it IS true that it's hard to find.

Shadow Dragon is... an NES game. Really. Don't let the shiny DS graphics fool you. It's hardly anything more than the NES game that it's ported from. If you're gonna play SD, go into with the mentality that it's an NES game, not a modern game, lest you not be too disappointed.

PoR isn't expensive unless you're buying from an idiot seller. My copy was only $30. But it IS true that it's hard to find.

Most copies of PoR and RD are in the $100+ range now- kinda skyrocketed with Awakening's release too-- and it's been going up.

Edited by Airship Canon

The difficulty in FE11 is changeable, but normal mode isn't too hard, maybe a bit harder than awakening's normal mode but still doable.

Wiis aren't too hard to get and sort of cheap due to the Wii U thing, so try and get one of those for FE10 (FE9 as well, due to backwards compatibility)

Most copies of PoR and RD are in the $100+ range now- kinda skyrocketed with Awakening's release too-- and it's been going up.

Online, I'd agree with you, since some sellers on sites like Amazon have the most ridiculous prices I've ever seen. But in stores, they're WAY cheaper. Trust me. I found a copy of RD in Walmart for the normal price of a Wii game. $50. My used copy of PoR was $30. I bet other stores that sell old and used games, such as Second & Charles, would sell them for cheap prices too.

Edited by Anacybele

"Is it good?"

I would call it decent, personally. The story and the characters are kinda dull and the mechanics are just the bare-bone basics compared to Awakening, but the gameplay itself is nonetheless fine. It's by no stretch of the imagination the best in the series, but it's definitely not the worst either, haters be damned. It's definitely superior to the first three games, if just because it's prettied up compared to them, and personally I find it more enjoyable than FE6 and FE7 as well. FE6 in particular as very little replayability in my opinion, whereas FE11 has plenty of it, thanks to reclassing and lots of difficulty settings to choose from.

"Is it hard?"

It's just as difficult as you want it to be. Normal mode might as well be called Kindergarten mode, H1 is pretty easy still, H2 is somewhat challenging, H3 keeps you on your toes, H4 is pretty rough, and H5 is so hard it's borderline cheap (although there are ways to trivialize it anyway). Nothing anywhere near as hard as FE13's Lunatic+, though.

"How relevant is it to this game?"

Make no mistake, compared to Awakening, FE11 will feel pretty basic and bare-bones - there's no pair-up, no supports, no dark magic, no Avatar creation, nothing of the sort. (It does have reclassing and forging, though.) It's simple, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Story-wise, it isn't very relevant to FE13 except for the fact that it allows you to experience (part of) the adventures of the Marth FE13's legends tell about on your own.

Bloody good luck to anyone trying to find a copy of PoR not online. I never had a GC and bought a Wii eventually, and wound up playing Radiant Dawn first; could NEVER find a copy of PoR in stores (still never have, years later) and the only reason I have one now is because I traded my copy of Sacred Stones to an acquantience for it and eventually lost touch with this person (I got the winning side of that trade thanks to emulators).

Shadow Dragon is an okay game. Pretty different compared to all of Awakening's bells and whistles, but a lot of the core mechanics are still there, and some things will actually be more powerful in that game (Warp staves, anyone?).

I'd definitely call it the worst one that's made it out of Japan. It's pretty bad compared to other Fire Emblems, but as a game on its own it's alright. Provides a good bit of backstory for Awakening, I think.

I must have gotten really lucky then, because after I first decided I wanted PoR, I walked into a GameStop and a copy was sitting on the shelf right in front of me. I didn't even have to look for it. :/

The brand new copy of RD I scored at Walmart, I did have to look through the shelf a bit for though. It was the only copy they had and I needed it to replace my used one that quit working right. Yes, I've had TWO copies of RD. The used one was also easily found at GameStop.

Edited by Anacybele

You should play Fire Emblem 7 because of the awesome set of characters like Hector and Lyn. then after that you should play FE6 because it is awesome and has Hector's daughter, Lilina. If you are gonna play these two games you should play them in this order so you understand the plot.

Edited by JasonMendez