Making village gates close in SS

EldinnerPlate

I am having trouble with making map changes in my hack of sacred stones. I have made the map in tiled and all the changes are there and I inserted them into the game. My code looks like this:

Village(0x00,Village1,2,16)

I put 0x00 as the event ID because in tiled the id of the change was "0". Since it is fire emblem 8 the mac1 codes don't work and I have spent 5 hours trying to solve this problem. I think it is something very simple that I am missing, but I can't find it.

tilechange id's and event id's are entirely separate, the way you have it right now is that your village will be visitable infinite times

i don't know 100% how tile changes work in FE8, but try changing the event ID to something like 0x8 and see if the village closes automatically

Map tile changes in FE8 are still uncovered by hackers, unfortunately.

0x00 as the ID makes the village/house re-visitable every time you want.

If you use different IDs, every one of them will just trigger to "OFF" for that chapter and won't work again - just stick to that without changing the map tiles.

And also hope that no one resumes the chapter while playing because that would reset the memory about IDs that are already triggered or not, allowing the player to basically revisit the village whenever he wants just by closing the rom and reopening it, which is lame.

Cam some time ago said that was due to the emulator working badly compared to the actual console, so it shouldn't be a problem of the hack.

The pain in the ass is for doors and breakable walls / trees. You just can't use them without map changes. :\

Seriously though, I'd be glad if someone had the time and patience to investigate how FE8 tile changes work.

I tried myself and failed miserably

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Map tile changes in FE8 are still uncovered by hackers, unfortunately.

0x00 as the ID makes the village/house re-visitable every time you want.

If you use different IDs, every one of them will just trigger to "OFF" for that chapter and won't work again - just stick to that without changing the map tiles.

And also hope that no one resumes the chapter while playing because that would reset the memory about IDs that are already triggered or not, allowing the player to basically revisit the village whenever he wants just by closing the rom and reopening it, which is lame.

Cam some time ago said that was due to the emulator working badly compared to the actual console, so it shouldn't be a problem of the hack.

The pain in the ass is for doors and breakable walls / trees. You just can't use them without map changes. :\

Seriously though, I'd be glad if someone had the time and patience to investigate how FE8 tile changes work.

I tried myself and failed misera

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info and saving me a lot of time :P

Edited by Eldinnnn

No, I'm saying people keep saying that tiled is better because you can make the tilechanges in it and insert them directly.

You still have to trigger the change with events but FE8 does that in a weird mode and no one apparently has understood how it works yet.

Would you guys just recommend that I start over on my hack using fire emblem 7? Because I have run into a lot of problems that have no solution and I have to work around them, I only have the prologue and half of chapter 1 done so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

You still have to trigger the change with events but FE8 does that in a weird mode and no one apparently has understood how it works yet.

Horizontal Doors, chests, and villages all are automatic changes as far as I remember...

I hope this doesn't mean I have to go back into fe8 hacking to figure this stuff out...

The way I used to go about map changes in FE8 was to just copy already existing ones, edit them a bit, and change them to match my stuff as necessary. I don't remember if I had any problems with getting village doors to close though.

The way I used to go about map changes in FE8 was to just copy already existing ones, edit them a bit, and change them to match my stuff as necessary. I don't remember if I had any problems with getting village doors to close though.

This is one solution and something I'll surely try out sooner or later.

Horizontal Doors, chests, and villages all are automatic changes as far as I remember...

I hope this doesn't mean I have to go back into fe8 hacking to figure this stuff out...

I tried with Tiled but I wasn't fortunate. Maybe it's just me being dumb and doing something wrong, dunno.

Yes please, when/if you have time, this will be of great help.

And also is about time someone makes some documentation about this. ;w;

Not even MK404 has tile changes in his hack now that I think about it.

Did you check "Insert map changes?" and "Write map change ptr to?" in Tiled map inserter ?

Did you put the correct offset in "Write map change ptr to?" ?

It should be "0x8B363C + 4 * idx" for FE8 (idx can be found in "FE8 Nightmare modules\Chapter Data Editor\Pointers.txt").

Assuming you replaced a map which didn't have map changes, did you change the "Triggerable Map Change" byte using "Chapter Data Editor.nmm" ?

If all your answers to the previous questions were "yes", then I can't help you.

Yes I checked write "map change ptr"

As for the correct pointer, I didn't put what you have there. I put it in a place where I knew I had free space and then changed the pointer of the "chapter 1 map changes" in the event table editor. I don't know if that would cause a problem though.

And I changed the "Triggerable Map Change" to the "chapter 1 map changes" where I previously inserted the pointer.