Favorite GBA character?

Quite honestly, I like Amelia from Sacred Stones; sure, she does start off rather... well, no bars held, rather weak. But she could become an incredible baiting unit as a General/Great Knight, depending on one's preference of Defense Vs. Mobility, respectively. But that's only 20% of the reason she's my favorite character of the GBA games (which unfortunately, are the only FE games I've played!). The rest goes to her story; she was given motivation to become part of the military because she lost those she cared about in war as well as bandits, and has the desire to become stronger so she won't lose anyone ever again. When we first meet her, she's struggling in some form or other; either by a low soldier harassing her in Eirika's path, or going Ephiram's route, trying to support the one who she admires greatly essentially forces a hand to write her death certificate, almost.

Sure, it's tough to get her up to the ranks of the others by the time you get her; heck, Gilliam might be ready for general/great knight promotion by that time, but train her right, she will not be a disappointment; she has saved my team more times as a General when compared to Gilliam despite their stat growth rate differences (Gilliam being better for overall survivability/damage, while Amelia has skill, speed and luck on her side, which Gilliam just lacks in those departments). Whether it be RNGesus supporting me, or I just have some ridiculous luck, her Great Shield ability activates more often that Gilliam's, rendering many attacks as useless on her. On top of it, as mentioned for stats, she's fast for a General, having high probability to attack twice against any enemy at end game, while Gilliam has to be very lucky to get that privilege against most monster-based enemies. Personally, I prefer the higher chance to not take any damage in general as opposed to merely tanking the damage.

Now, I expect people are going to give me the gears about these two, that I'm either undervaluing Gilliam or overvaluing Amelia, as I said, the actual combat aspects are only 20% of how I look at a unit. Background stories of a character, personalities, how to acquire them, and of course, their relationship developments with other characters; those are the aspects I look at 60% of the time (leaving the remaining 20% to mugshots; can you blame me?). I like the entire cast of Sacred Stones, but Amelia, to me, is the diamond in the rough that really sticks out like a sore thumb; a girl that lost both of her parents, given the drive to become a soldier to avoid losing anyone ever again, and fighting alongside Eirika and Ephiram's side, she proves to do just that, and depending on support character relationship developments during the events right to the end, the result always turns out for the better. This recruit will always have a special special value to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

As I don't really care about stats and all that stuff, my opinion is purely based on how much waifu material they represent.

Favorite FE6 characters  :

Gonzalez > Fae > Echidna > Niime > Igrene

Favorite FE7 characters :

Nino > Merlinus > Canas > Wallace > Florina 

Favorite FE8 characters :

Xx_LooT69420_xX > Forde > Amelia > Daddy Moudler > L'Arachel

And Murdock beat them all.

Fight me.

• 3 weeks later...

From FE6:

Story Perspective: Hugh (he's just a merc trying to get some money, also he's Canas' son and Niime's grandson, even thought it would've been better if he was a lvl1 Sage or at least Hard Mode Bonuses)

Gameplay Perspective: Dieck (he's there from almost the get-go, great bases, average growths and good promotion bonuses + axes), Rutger (joins in chapter 4 with a Killing Edge and solid bases, gains a lot of critival bonus when promotes), Lugh (joins in chapter 3, gains some juicy promotion bonuses ,Yellow Banana Mage), Sue (she's a cute looking nomad and I love nomads), Sin (he's the better nomad) and Niime (joins late but with great Weapon Ranks, good bases for staff utility and looks very cool)

From FE7:

Story Perspective: Renault (his supports are gold, pure and shiny Aurum)

Gameplay Perspective: Dart (berseker, awesome sprite, water walking, mountain climbing and juicy critical bonuses are just great, even though his Ocean Seal can only be found in the Desert Chapter), Lucius (bishop is one of my favorite classes, Lucius can be "trained" in Lyn Mode and has an incredible hair), Canas (only relevant Dark Magic user in the mid-late game, awesome purple cloak and a gentleman with a monocle) and Rath (he's a nomad)

From FE8:

Story Perspective: Orson (I guess he's the only character where Exp Stealing arguments are plausible).

Gameplay Perspective: Pretty much every character besides Gilliam, Forde and Amelia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, (s)ad touch said:

he's pretty bad, but i love knoll

Yeah, I feel like the common consensus is that Knoll is a great character but pretty meh unit.

• 1 month later...

For Fire Emblem 8: Gilliam (I like knights!), Ephraim (Really key part of my units when I played the game and I like his position as a warrior prince.), Innes (I found his exchanges with Ephraim to be entertaining and was a great ranged attack user.), Tethys (My obligatory "I want my tactician to get with her" choice.), Cormag (Wyvern Knights!)

For Fire Emblem 7: Lyn (My other "I want my tactician to get with her" choice and she's a good sword user.), Sain (Basically the type of character who I'd like to be :P), Eliwood (He was my idea of who a main character should be when I was a kid.  Objectively I know that characters like him need more depth nowadays.), Owain (I like Knights too much), Canas (I must be weird but he was always a key part of my force when I played the game.  And I dug the idea of playing as a shaman.) 

Fire Emblem 6: Uh... I still need to play this game some day. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Personality wise? Hector, he's a lovable idiot. Either Forde or Franz are probbaly my second favourite, I love me the Elric brothers.

Gameplay wise? Dieck, Echidna, Raven, Harken and Gerik are my favourites, I know that they're worse then Paladins, but their animations and great bases, especially Harkens are just something to marvel at.

Off topic but the worst character? I would have said Joshua since all his supports are just "Hey i like Gambling" but after replaying SS i really enjoyed his interactions with Callech and his backstory, and he's now my favourite Navare. I would probably say Treck, he doesn't really do anything, and he isn't memorable at all, and at least the somewhat dull christmas cavaliers in fe6 are really good units.

Edited by Geenoble

10 hours ago, Geenoble said:

Personality wise? Hector, he's a lovable idiot. Either Forde or Franz are probbaly my second favourite, I love me the Elric brothers.

Gameplay wise? Dieck, Echidna, Raven, Harken and Gerik are my favourites, I know that they're worse then Paladins, but their animations and great bases, especially Harkens are just something to marvel at.

Off topic but the worst character? I would have said Joshua since all his supports are just "Hey i like Gambling" but after replaying SS i really enjoyed his interactions with Callech and his backstory, and he's now my favourite Navare. I would probably say Treck, he doesn't really do anything, and he isn't memorable at all, and at least the somewhat dull christmas cavaliers in fe6 are really good units.

Well, excuse me my good sir, but as much as I agree that mercenaries and heroes are the best looking classes, and as much as I understand why you find Joshua's supports repetitive, I can't let you insult our boy Treck this way.

Seriously though, all of the guy's supports are really good, and he's probably the FE6 cavalier with the most personality. His philosophy of life is portrayed really well etc... So I really can't agree that Treck is the worst FE6 character. There's a whole lot of characters more forgettable than him.

4 hours ago, Zeldacrafter_Swagg said:

Well, excuse me my good sir, but as much as I agree that mercenaries and heroes are the best looking classes, and as much as I understand why you find Joshua's supports repetitive, I can't let you insult our boy Treck this way.

Seriously though, all of the guy's supports are really good, and he's probably the FE6 cavalier with the most personality. His philosophy of life is portrayed really well etc... So I really can't agree that Treck is the worst FE6 character. There's a whole lot of characters more forgettable than him.

He always came across as kinda bad to me, and he may not be the worst overall fe character (Fates and the Marth games have tons of terrible characters and don't get me started on Validar.) but he just seems the most boring out of all the gba characters, maybe I've just seen that type of character so many times in shows and novels but he just never really appeals to me, and the highlight of all his supports are always the other characters. at the very least i can see why people may like him.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is probably a tie between Matthew and Sain. I like Matthew because I can relate to him in a good number of ways, and he has some great dialogue. Not to mention his turmoil over Leila is very well-written.

I like Sain because...He's Sain. No further explanation is required. I wish that Lyn and Sain had supports, because those would have been highly entertaining.

Edited by LordlingCale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s hard to pick one of many but mines are

Blazing Blade - Lyn, Hector, Raven, Priscilla, Matthew and Rebecca

Sacred Stones: Lute, Amelia, Marissa, Innes and L’Arachel.

For nostalgia reasons, I'd say Jaffar. I remember all those years ago when I first played the battle before dawn chapter, I thought the assassin class was so cool. First impressions were great when he was a green unit as he just killed everything he attacked. In later playthroughs, when I first got to the gaiden chapter with Sonia, it felt awesome to put Matthew in the same class as Jaffar.

Nowadays, I'd say my favourite is Athos for story reasons. I like his whole backstory with Nergal and as one of the eight legends.