0% Growths TRS

BBM

As the topic title says! I think a 0% growths run of this game would be pretty interesting. It would prevent just being able to stomp everything with Narron, in any case. It won't be an LTC, because I'm not much good at that, but it should still be fun.

UNFORTUNATELY, I have absolutely no experience with hacking TRS or any other PS games (really I have no hacking experience at all other than a little bit with FE and Pokemon). Does anyone know how I'd go about doing this? I have a feeling it might involve hex editing, which I have no clue how to do.

EDIT:

links to the new video segments!

Chapter 1

Verje Map Choice 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Edited by BBM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the topic title says! I think a 0% growths run of this game would be pretty interesting. It would prevent just being able to stomp everything with Narron, in any case. It won't be an LTC, because I'm not much good at that, but it should still be fun.

UNFORTUNATELY, I have absolutely no experience with hacking TRS or any other PS games (really I have no hacking experience at all other than a little bit with FE and Pokemon). Does anyone know how I'd go about doing this? I have a feeling it might involve hex editing, which I have no clue how to do.

this is dondon's job, get out

I see this game is on....PS1.....yeah I dunno

you would just need to find the growths table and change them all to 0

i would love to 0% this game but the one reason why i wouldn't is because of chapter 18

(also you would have to toss the salia and reeve tomes into the storage permanently)

Edited by dondon151

i would love to 0% this game but the one reason why i wouldn't is because of chapter 18

Do it

(also you would have to toss the salia and reeve tomes into the storage permanently)

No idea how to do that whatsoever. >_> I opened the ROM with a hex editor and searched for a random person's growths as a text string, but couldn't find them anywhere in the file.

And don't remind me of the hard chapters, or I'll ragequit before even starting the run, lol.

Edited by BamBamMan

ok, did you search in the order they are listed in game or the order on serenes (this is most likely the same but just in case) if that doesent work, i would ask a member of the translation project one of the might know.

The order on Serenes, but I checked and it's the same order. I also searched for them as a hex block instead of a text string, which is probably what I'm supposed to do, but that didn't work either.

it also depends on if the data is compressed. compressed data looks nothing like raw data.

in the meantime, search for smaller strings like str/skl/agi, and you might want to ask vincent how he (or someone else) got the growths data.

• 2 months later...

BUMP I figured out how to change growths. Many thanks to Ickhoa for pointing me to the vietnamese forum where I was able to download the necessary tools, to Eclipse for telling Amelia about my translation problems, and to Amelia herself for helping me with registering for the forum! You guys rock.

I should start the run sometime soon. Get hyped!

Anyways, I put in a poll as to whom I should recruit in the first Verje choice.

Narron

PROs:

good move

decent stats after promo

good skills

CONs:

is basically a worse Zeek

never gets Pilum (meaning he has to do with Hand Lance for 1-2 range)

Lee

PROs:

good 1-2 range

decent stats

gets me Lan's Mirror I guess

CONs:

has no skills

has low move

Ruka

PROs:

lets Raquel kill enemies later in the game

CONs:

everything else

BTW, wrt move- I'm not going to be LTCing but I don't want to turtle either, and move is useful even for non-LTC purposes

Edited by BigBadMarshmallow

/vote Ezekiel

Tricky choice here, but I'd suggest Lee. His magic and healing versatility don't get much worse with a lack of growths, while I question Narron's early game a bit unless you plan to baby him a lot since Raphin should do most of the work.

Or you could get Narron now and wait for Lee later. It's true Runan does have two healers early on, getting a third at some point, while Holmes' team only has one until chapter 14, with the rather annoying chapter 11 that's a fair bit harder without good 1-2 range, which Lee is happy to provide.

Edited by Woodshooter

you probably still want to do narron, lee or narron, lionel. you get lan's mirror with or without lee. lee gives you the defense staff.

are you sure narron can't use pilum? his base wlv is 5 and he gains 4 on promo. characterizing him as a "worse zeek" doesn't really make sense because zeek leaves after the second division and narron has just about the same amount of important stats.

Edited by dondon151

Well, I beat Chapter 1. It was basically the same as normal, except for the part where I didn't bother to maximize exp for Runan.

Runan and Kreiss also got blank levels. What chumps.

narron has slight advantages over raffin, roger, and mintz - namely, he beats them all in str and agi, which is kind of amusing. BBM might appreciate the options that the defense staff allows, though. the issue here is that getting narron at second pick is just really bad.

Promoted Narron ties Mintz in strength and agility actually. He's beating Roger in strength by one point though, and his lead over Raffin (even mounted on his wyvern) is pretty big all around, but you also have Zeek join around the same point.

Yeah, second pick Narron has to wait for a while to promote (until the mummy map), until which he is pretty useless. The Defence staff is a once-or-never thing though, so if you don't pick Lee first you'll never see it.

I guess it would be rewarding on a character like Rina (I think not even the Shadow Dragon and New Mystery scrubs can outsuck her), but coupled with Narron's other strengths (at least you can still learn skills in 0% growths) GK is a bit too much.