Self Imposed Challenges

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster.

As none of you know, I am a hardcore masochist when it comes to challenge in video games. I've beaten all difficulties on FE:A, except Hard (skipped right over it), and Lunatic+ (I don't consider having to reset a thousand times until the RNG decides to stop being a dick as a legitimate challenge, tactics or otherwise). I'm still a huge noob, (I don't even galeforce), but I would like to have a fun, hella hard challenge. I'm not talking something stupid like ONLY USE EACH WEAPON ONCE AND NO LEVELING ROFLMAO. I'd like something that will truly challenge me.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also, it's nice to finally post :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about, No Pair-Ups? Dual-Up is allowed, but the bonuses obtained through Pai-Ups aren't. I actually wonder what kind of difficulty the game would have like that.

Welcome! Don't stray far from the forest...

You could try using characters all the same gender. Of if you're looking to be really restricted, only using one weapon type (but possibly allowing staves and stones).

I'm thinking about doing a Chrom + 13 SpotPass characters playthrough on Lunatic by only recruiting unpromoted legacy characters by playing The Golden Gaffe at Ch. 5. And in all 6 of the FEs I've played, I've never played past the lowest 2 difficulties o_o

Edited by BlueFire

I'm rather fond of "no reclassing", which means no Second Seals or Master Seals, but if you do that you should probably also not use prepromotes.

Also, welcome.

what

enjoy your Taguel/Manakete playthrough, I guess? (also a Lunatic run would go from ridiculously hard to impossible)

I consider Taguel/Manaketes/Overlord prepromotes. Villager isn't, though '3'

ok then this moves to straight up impossible outside of like normal mode, hope Chrom/Lucina are extremely strength-blessed

Lunatic, no Second Seals/skirmishes/DLC would be my suggestion. I believe people have done it, so it's definitely possible, but it's certainly challenging. Now, with limited levels per character, you probably want a larger team to handle the difficult late chapters, which means no Nosferatank soloing, probably trying to recruit a number of children characters (but when? Too late and they'll be very hard to train, too early and they might not have the stats you want for lategame)... all in all it sounds like a fun challenge, from start to finish.

I did no magic Apotheosis if that counts

Though Zerker!Basilio!Morgan hits ridiculously hard with a brave axe forge against even Generals anyway so (68 str before boosts does that)

I did no magic Apotheosis if that counts

Though Zerker!Basilio!Morgan hits ridiculously hard with a brave axe forge against even Generals anyway so (68 str before boosts does that)

this doesn't really change the strategies for any non-Counter/Hawkeye enemies?

(even then bows are still a thing, yeah that's nothing)

speaking of Apotheosis, I did no Limit Breaker/Aggressor, someone now do no brave weapons :evil:

Edited by shadykid

Didn't use bows either

Axes mainly some lances and Flavia on swords

eh

just attack round 4/5 berserkers at range, settle for 2RKOs

OP do Lunatic+ 0% growths no seals/renown/logbook/spotpass/streetpass run

Edited by shadykid

Nah

that requires me training up people I don't normally like enough to train up and more grinding than necessary bores me

what are you even talking about here, Basilio/Flavia can throw stuff at range just fine

you said berserkers only got 2 even capable of going that way

Flavia can't go berserker silly

(and this conversation is pointless 'cuz I beat it already so ???)

....I was talking about the enemy berserkers in Apotheosis, especially the Helswath ones

but yes, this is pointless

From my understanding, Apothesis enemies have Lunatic+ skills, right? I quit LTC+ at level 3 because I had been cheesing Freddy the whole time, and the RNG deciding that every enemy having Counter was the best idea since sliced bread. What kind of strategy is needed to defeat enemies like that in endgame?

From my understanding, Apothesis enemies have Lunatic+ skills, right? I quit LTC+ at level 3 because I had been cheesing Freddy the whole time, and the RNG deciding that every enemy having Counter was the best idea since sliced bread. What kind of strategy is needed to defeat enemies like that in endgame?

easiest way: Galeforce everything on player phase with Celica's Gale

THE WESTBRICK CHALLENGE:

-No Veteran (de-equipped at Ch.3, MU cannot pair up before this point)
-No wireless features
-No Anna shops
-No Nosferatu
-No shiny tile items / weapons
-No Rally Spectrum
-No Sol / Aether

-Lunatic mode

THE WESTBRICK CHALLENGE:

-No wireless features

-No Anna shops

-No Nosferatu

-No Rally Spectrum

-No Sol / Aether

-Lunatic mode

-Bitch on Gamefaqs after the run is finished

Lunatic, no Second Seals/skirmishes/DLC would be my suggestion. I believe people have done it, so it's definitely possible, but it's certainly challenging. Now, with limited levels per character, you probably want a larger team to handle the difficult late chapters, which means no Nosferatank soloing, probably trying to recruit a number of children characters (but when? Too late and they'll be very hard to train, too early and they might not have the stats you want for lategame)... all in all it sounds like a fun challenge, from start to finish.

I did this and I'd definitely recommend it to preserve the challenge and "feel" of Lunatic while lowering the temptation of soloing with Veteran characters. It also prevents Manaketes as well as Tharja/Henry from superunit soloing and encourages training up the children (and obviously the parents, to give them good bases/skills). Steamrolling earlygame with Frederick or Avatar can have consequences in lategame where they drastically fall off. It is still possible to train a large team and use a bunch of the parents and children, without grinding and such. It's not "that" difficult and there are ways to trivialize it still, but far fewer ways and it somewhat requires good understanding of the game mechanics.

Oh and cutscenes look way cooler with default/canon classes.

THE WESTBRICK CHALLENGE:

-No wireless features

-No Anna shops

-No Nosferatu

-No Rally Spectrum

-No Sol / Aether

-Lunatic mode

Nothing there stops Manaketes or avoidstacking from steamrolling. I did no Avatar/Nowi/Panne plus a bunch of other restrictions (all of those and more) a long time ago which was still relatively easy. Easier than No Second Seals I'd say. Way easier than my efficiency run.

EDIT: Another good challenge run in general is No Pair Up in Hard Mode, which I've heard good things about.

Edited by XeKr

lmao, Westbrick

LTC (that's low turn counts, not lunatic) is the best self imposed challenge there is.

Go do that or something.