A little growths comparison spreadsheet I've been working on

Tables

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPT0N9WtHcKdDNpTW1STTZCQXNFMF9lVFdlZ2hnSWc#gid=0

(Note: To avoid people messing up the sheet itself it's read only. Just save a copy into your google docs (if you don't have one, you'd need to make one, or just admire the sheet I guess).

The basic idea is, you enter a weighting for each stat (how valuable you think they are) and the sheet gives you an adjusted growth valuation, and in particular ranks the characters on how good their growths are for that particular weighting. The most important columns are X and Y. These basically tell you roughly how good that character's growths are for a given weighting.

The sheet currently has example data of what I think most people would consider a fairly standard weighting:

Str/Mag (stronger stat), Spd, Def * 30

Res * 20

HP, SKL * 15

Str/Mag (weaker stat), Luk * 10

So a character's speed growth is considered three times as important as their luck growth, for example. With that weighting, you can see that characters like Kellam, Basilio, Cordelia and Vaike do better than their growth total suggests, while characters like Henry, Chrom, Anna and Maribelle are worse. And this is why Anna (ranked 6 unweighted, ranked 20 weighted) never really gets mentioned for her 'fantastic' growths, while Panne (ranked 5 unweighted, ranked 4 weighted) is. Because Panne's growths are good where this weighting cares, while Annas are good where this weighting doesn't.

Anyway I don't expect this to be of huge use to many people, it's more of a novelty, but I use things like this occasionally when talking about character growths, and others might too. But I made it and I'll be using it, and on the off chance it's of use to others, might as well make it available, right?

I'm thinking of adding classes in, but that's a little bit of work.

(Note: This post refers to the original version of the sheet. The link now links to an updated version.

Edited by Tables

And this is why Anna (ranked 6 unweighted, ranked 20 unweighted) never really gets mentioned for her 'fantastic' growths

er ok

so what about characters like Avatar/Morgan, that could use both

Edited by shadykid

Whoops, typo.

Right now I only have parents, I forgot to mention that. I'll add children at some point I guess. For the Avatar there's a asset/flaw selector.

Classes shouldn't actually be TOO bad, I don't think... at least I can easily make a lookup table for classes which is unrestricted. Adding in restriction (so classes can only be selected from those available to that character) will be a little tougher. In fact I think I'll go work on that, why not?

All things considered I don't think Anna will go up much of classes are added...

a little bit, Trickster has nice magic/speed growths (unless he's counting strength as Anna's "primary" stat....)

It would count whichever is higher as the main, and whichever is lower as the secondary. In Anna's case as a Trickster it's 40 to 45, so not even really a big difference, but the magic is considered main.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPT0N9WtHcKdDNpTW1STTZCQXNFMF9lVFdlZ2hnSWc#gid=0

Updated version. Now has classes and children. Children currently have some random pairings (half being the 'most canon' I could think of and the others being fairly random (not saying who is which mind :Kappa:)), but if you remove all the parents, the sheet still works, although the ranking disappears (but you can still sort by total growths). Classes you just put the class in and get a thing. Classes are currently unrestricted, because that requires manually making a list of allowed classes for every character.

Not included:

Priam (he doesn't have growths on the site)

Bride/Dread Fighter (ditto above)

Edit: Wow that only took me like a little over an hour (was watching the tennis and doing other stuff for like half the time), easier than I thought it'd be.

Edited by Tables

Not included:

Priam (he doesn't have growths on the site)

Bride/Dread Fighter (ditto above)

You also didn't include Aversa, Emmeryn, Yen'fay, Gangrel and Walhart, all of which have displayed growths on the site.

Two words: EXPonential Growth.

nope sorry, anyone else can also use it and many (aka anyone with a mounted reclass other than Bow Knight) can use it better

have another two: no money

also this

What are you talking about Donnel was my best benchwarmer on Lunatic?

I know right?

Edited by shadykid

have another two: no money

Donnel is only truly unusable without grinding in LM+ (and even that's debatable). Outside of that mode the difficulty of his training is pretty exaggerated.

He's still annoying to train though. Very annoying.

Donnel is only truly unusable without grinding in LM+ (and even that's debatable). Outside of that mode the difficulty of his training is pretty exaggerated.

He's still annoying to train though. Very annoying.

is it really, you seem to be contradicting yourself

is it really, you seem to be contradicting yourself

I've seen people call it impossible, I've seen people call it the hardest thing in this game, I've seen people say all sorts of things.

Get this annoying =/= incredibly difficult. Shocker right?

I've seen people call it impossible, I've seen people call it the hardest thing in this game, I've seen people say all sorts of things.

Get this annoying =/= incredibly difficult. Shocker right?

incredibly annoying=more effort than most people are willing to spend, especially on a character that doesn't provide great returns

What are you talking about Donnel was my best benchwarmer on Lunatic?

I know right?

Implying I actually bothered to give him a level of experience in his side story.

Anyway the issue with Donnel on Lunatic is that Lunatic gets easier as you go. No point training a character who makes now much harder and later easier when that's already the progression of the game.

Edited by Tables