Rate That Skill Day: Pass!

Volke29

TODAY’S SKILL: Pass

Hey all –

Today is the first day of Rate That Skill day, or RTS day. (hehe)

This is an idea borrowed from PKL’s RTU day. I thought this would create good discussion and would give beginners a “foundation” of how certain skills are perceived.

Rules are simple:

- Rate a skill, 1 through 10, on how effective you think it is. This includes grinding and everything.

- If you'd like, rate the skill on a pure run, no grinding or anything (please specify). Only the above will be factored in when averaging, however.

- All skills are rated based on playing on Hard Mode, classic.

- If you have bias, that’s OK. Skills don’t have personality, just state that your score is bias and why. (e.g. - You like how it looks.)

- When rating a skill, think of how valuable it is when using one of your five slots.

Anti-flame rules: (From PKL’s thread)

1. You will be given three strikes throughout the entire RTS about flaming and if you exceed three all your contributions up to that point and beyond it will be ignored.
2. Do not insult another person based on their opinion. (1 strike per occurrence)
3. Do not derail the thread with a useless argument in which you repeatedly make the same point. This not a debate thread. (1 strike per occurrence)
4. Do not try to start a flame war.

The above rules will be followed strictly in an attempt to keep this civilized.

If you want to take over this thread and are on these forums a lot please message me.

If you have some rules you’d like to see added to this, please message me. I do not want to derail today's thread.

------

TODAY’S SKILL: Pass

Edited by Volke29

I'm no professional player, but what the hell, I'll give this a shot.

I really like Pass, it's a convenient skill, especially for bow users, I should think. It won't win any rewards, but it's a real nifty skill. I give it a fair 5/10, not bad but not excellent.

(also, I think the first two rules clash with each other 8U rate a skill on how useful it is for grinding, when this is supposedly for a no-grind run? Am I just mixing up the meaning in my head?)

Love Pass. For stronger units that can survive on their own, this skill, coupled with some boots and good movement, is great.

I give it a 7.5 out of 10. With bias, 8/10. Pure run - NA

I love characters that can move great distance and get to hard to reach areas. This skill would be more valuable if there were more maps where you race against other thieves for valuable treasure chests.

Shouldn't there like,be an actual order to this? Anyway,I give Veteran a 10/10.

anyway: helps you position a bit better on Enemy Phase but it's nowhere near as useful as in RD because most of the maps are huge open spaces.

Getting to Assassin 15 is a pain due to lack of 1-2 range except Ragnell (doesn't exist in maingame) and Levin Swords (no one uses these and wants to go assassin)

3/10

Shouldn't there like,be an actual order to this? Anyway,I give Veteran a 10/10.

anyway: helps you position a bit better on Enemy Phase but it's nowhere near as useful as in RD because most of the maps are huge open spaces.

Getting to Assassin 15 is a pain due to lack of 1-2 range except Ragnell (doesn't exist in maingame) and Levin Swords (no one uses these and wants to go assassin)

3/10

Assassins can use bows...

ok guys let's talk about Starcraft

anyway, maps in Awakening tend not to have many true chokepoints, making it only situationally useful to get around an enemy that is blocking your path from like 5 spaces away (haha)

also, you'd have to go to level 15 Assassin to get it, do not want

3/10

Assassins can use bows...

that's 2-range, not 1-2 range

ok guys let's talk about Starcraft

anyway, maps in Awakening tend not to have many true chokepoints, making it only situationally useful to get around an enemy that is blocking your path from like 5 spaces away (haha)

also, you'd have to go to level 15 Assassin to get it, do not want

3/10

that's 2-range, not 1-2 range

Ok, that's a fail on my part.

It's a nice looking skill, but often helps out a lot less than it looks like it will. And it takes a long time to get. While I personally quite like the skill, I can't in good conscience give it a good rating. 3/10

3/10. Sounds good in theory, but in practice, the situations where this would actually help are few and far between. Doesn't really help that this skill comes too late for it to be of any real use.

Edited by Levant Fortner

3/10

Almost completely useless because of how late you get it and how open the maps are.

It gets a boost in score because the enemy uses it and that requires extra strategy on the players part.

Does the enemy's use of the skill count towards the score? I almost never use pass but I find it fun fighting enemies with the skill.

Edit: Changed score

Edited by Spaceman Craig

5/10

Almost completely useless because of how late you get it and how open the maps are.

It gets a boost in score because the enemy uses it and that requires extra strategy on the players part.

Does the enemy's use of the skill count towards the score? I almost never use pass but I find it fun fighting enemies with the skill.

I think you bring up a great point. Enemies with certain skills can be a pain / fun to deal with. I've had to restart battles a few times because I overlooked that an enemy player had pass. I think for the sake of this thread, though, that it'd be best if everyone just focused rating skills for their players.

I do agree, though! I always enjoy a large map where the enemy has a variety of skills. Who plays FE and doesn't enjoy a good challenge? =D

Rules are simple:

- Rate a skill, 1 through 10, on how effective you think it is. This includes grinding and everything.

- Rate the skill on a pure run, no grinding or anything.

Wait what? Which do I do?

- Rate the skill on a pure run, no grinding or anything.

What they said. >_>;

Well... I guess I'll just throw it out there...

Since it's based on Hard, Classic, the uses for it are absolutely limited outside keeping your Archers from getting trapped and in need of saving like a damsel in distress.

Now if you're on Lunatic+, you learn to fear this skill SOMETIMES. Especially when you have a choke point on Chapter 3 and need to FILL UP EVERY AVAILABLE SPACE THEY CAN LAND ON so your weaker units won't get wrecked.

2/10

Some people like to rate skills based on a pure run. If you'd like to, go ahead and give two ratings. When averaging everything up, though, I'm going to only factor in the grinding score. I should have clarified.

Come next RTS I'll be sure to make that clear in the rules. My original post now reflects your comment.

Thanks.

Eh, it's good for Snipers, but you really shouldn't be using them anyway. Not really that useful in Awakening since most maps are wide open. 2/10, no bias.

This skill would be amazing on a staff user or flying unit so they could help speed clear even better. Unfortunately, this skill is tacked on to a sword/bow locked class, people which shouldn't be running into the middle of the enemy ranks in the first place. Not to mention that it is a level 15 skill, so one has to spend a lot of time without 1-2 range. Even postgame, this skill doesn't do much at all and is generally a waste of a slot. This skill is one of those that are scary on enemy units but almost useless on player units

.5/10, it's not the worst skill in the game

Edited by The Batter

You linked to the wrong threads. It states I. The original post that its pkl's thread you linked to the original(now locked) thread that was run by me.

You linked to the wrong threads. It states I. The original post that its pkl's thread you linked to the original(now locked) thread that was run by me.

Thanks for the catch. Can you message me with the right link?

Honestly I don't think I have ever used it, though I have had a couple characters obtain it. Very situational. Now if we had flanking where you had bonuses when attacking an enemy from the rear it may have been more useful. Or if the AI actually came at you in formation to protect its weaker units.

3/10 No Bias. Mostly because there have been times I really wish I had it since it would have made things easier. But this isn't really a predictable need(nor is it anywhere near impossible to work around). It is more like 'hey the ai somehow randomly ended up with me being unable to kill the most dangerous unit without pass'.