NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

Fourth game this season where they lost with a 95+% chance of winning at a point in the game. lmfao

I'm glad there's teams whose hopes are getting gashed way worse than ours...

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ana, I watched the Steelers game and I think youve got a few more problems than the OC. They did score 31 points after all.

The defense looked terrible and Ben just doesn't look the same. He has had a great career but im not too sure it will last much longer. He just takes too many hits.
Youre in a bad spot, you have a ton of holes to improve and you need to find a QB successor at some point in the next 3 years.

No, Haley is the only big problem. Yes, the defense has problems too, I just said Lebeau is getting too old (he's like 75). But Ben was way better before Haley came in and took away all of his control. And Ben getting hit a lot isn't all his fault, his linemen need to protect him better. He's still an amazing QB and one of the best in the league. He'll be around for a few more years. In the meantime though, the team should start lining up possible successors, you're right about that.

He has the best name in the NFL. Quinton Jammer is probably #2.

@ Raven - How are the Ravens fans reacting to the loss? Is there still hope or has everyone given up? People here are already talking about the draft.

OK. Browns have a bye next week, and then we face the Bengals. It's basically a must-win if we want to make the playoffs, which we actually have a chance to do due to how weak our division is this year (Maybe we can do what the Seahawks did in 2010 and get in with a 7-9 record, though it'll probably take more than that since the Bengals already have 6 wins). Basically, our strategy for the game is to keep the ball as far away from Brandon Weeden as possible. If Jason Campbell gets injured... I think we actually have a punter who played QB in college or something.

Also I'm a little sad that no one got the Avatar the Last Airbender reference in my last post.

Yeah, the Bengals have been the only good team in the AFC North this year. Man, this poor division...

And I thought something about your last post sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. lol

Edited by Anacybele

@ Raven - How are the Ravens fans reacting to the loss? Is there still hope or has everyone given up? People here are already talking about the draft.

Depends on who you talk to. Mostly, we're to terms with the fact that we made tons of cheap free agent signings just to have a *chance* at competing, but it is somewhat clear now that it's a rebuilding year for us. We've got a good mix of young players and vets, and most of our young players are good except for Gino Gradkowski whose incompetence is killing our offensive line and as a result our offense and what have you.

Ray Rice has dropped in production SEVERELY from 2012, Pierce isn't healthy right now and he definitely won't be able to power through a pile of 300 pound men all the time (which Rice appears to be unable to do). Let me put in perspective how, against the Browns, Flacco was our leading rusher.

Pretty much, we were expecting Flacco to play decently (he's gone beyond "decent" and he's carrying this team, but he barely gets any possessions to do it), Gino to play okay (lmfao), defense to be spotty (they're average, so they've beat our expectations), having two starting caliber running backs (Rice doesn't play anywhere near as well as he used to, Pierce is injured), and generally Pitta to replace Boldin in terms of having good hands, mismatches, and decent blocking (Pitta is expected to return mid-November with no guarantees on how good he is). I'm not saying tank, and it's also not full-blown Jaguars levels of rebuilding. I'm thinking it's more like the Eagles.

The two trains of thought are where our oline woes come from. Do we just have that poor a center? Or is this new zone blocking scheme not compatible with our linemen? I'm leaning towards the former, heavily. There were many times where most of our line was blocking the right guy, but Gino would give up on his block for whatever reason and it would cripple the run game severely. Originally when we had McKinnie on the left side it may have been scheme but the fact is that Oher/Osemele/Yanda who are fairly mobile, and now Eugene Monroe who is also mobile, so our weak link is Gradkowski. Doesn't help that Osemele's out for the season and is replaced by AQ Shipley; it still amazes me how we haven't given AQ a shot in the real game at Center and put Jah Reid at LG. But whatever, I am hoping in 2014 or 2015 we can become contenders again.

tl;dr we didn't realize how much losing veterans would hurt us, and we overestimated how badly we would miss Pitta/Boldin but we underestimated how badly we would miss Matt Birk at center. Our defense is fine when the game's not on the line, but they really really suck when it is. Our offense is great when the game's on the line, but they often need one more possession to win which they cannot seem to get.

The Browns are a great team, hats off to them. They finally have the QB they need - a game manager - so they can eat up time and what not. He's mobile too, making up for McGahee's shortcomings and age. I can see them taking the Wild Card spot, if not going 8-8 and getting a nice QB/RB in next year's draft. Their FO is actually pretty fucking good now, too.

Well, my brother-in-law (a Packers fan) is probably pretty worried about what happened to Aaron Rodgers.

Is it bad that I wish the Browns hadn't played the Packers yet, since they're probably going to be a much easier opponent now?

The rest of our season is looking pretty tough, too. We still have to play the Patroits, the Jets, and the Bears (and if the Bears do to Jason Campbell what they did to Aaron Rodgers, our only QB will be the human white flag known as Brandon Weeden). There's also the Bengals again, which, as I said earlier, is a must-win game (something that the Browns tend to do their worst in). Also, the Steelers twice. Just because they're not doing so hot right now doesn't mean that those will be easy wins. If we get cocky against the Steelers we're certain to end up like the Ravens did two weeks ago. And, lastly, there's the Jaguars, who are due for at least one win this season since there's a reason only one team has ever gone 0-16.

By contrast, the Bengals have already faced most of their toughest opponents (the only teams remaining who I forsee giving them trouble are the Colts and MAYBE the Chargers), so we're going to need to hope for some upsets if we want to catch them. As much as I hate to do this, I think I'm going to have to root for the Ravens this Sunday.

randombobman is a Lions fan and i'm kind of a lions fan i guess

nflchamp is a Packers fan too

Haha, you know, I find that funny too. All we need is a Bengals fan to complete the set. lol

Absolute Iceland is a Bengals fan, thing is he doesn't come onto SF anymore. He does talk shit to me on skype though Edited by Lord Raven

Absolute Iceland is a Bengals fan, thing is he doesn't come onto SF anymore. He does talk shit to me on skype though

Huh, well, ignore him then, he's just mean, it sounds like. xP

And despite some...conflict we've had with each other in the past, I find you to be a cool dude overall, Raven.

So this is the last season that I won't be watching (finish the army in March) but according to my dad, the Bills are a better team than their record states.

Hawk King, can I get a rundown?

To put it in perspective... They have excellent QB depth

Huh, well, ignore him then, he's just mean, it sounds like. xP

And despite some...conflict we've had with each other in the past, I find you to be a cool dude overall, Raven.

Iceland and I are good friends lmao we do it to each other in jest Edited by Lord Raven

If you must know I am a Vikings fan, just can't really muster that much support this season. But I love you AD. Oh yeah and screw you Ponder.

If the Vikings get a good QB in the draft they would improve immensely next year.

Although with the Bucs and the Jags also looking like they'll he going for QBs and doing worse that might difficult.

Seneca Wallace did just about everything a QB can do wrong in last nights game, including taking 2 sacks to end the game. Lang's injury probably didn't help the O-line any, but Wallace has got to get rid of the ball.

Beyond that, the defense didn't show up. In no small part because Capers blitzed early and often and never got there.