NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had a lot of respect for Mike Tomlin(when he was the defensive coordinator of the Vikings we were one of the best in the league). And his move doesn't change that. I actually think the officials are at fault here for not seeing it happening in front of them. Also this has become a thing now:

http://deadspin.com/lets-watch-mike-tomlin-jump-out-of-the-way-of-various-1473824466

eflVG0b.jpg

The more appropriate image. In retrospect he probably did it unintentionally, but the ref should've thrown the flag right then and there. The league acknowledges its mistake, the Ravens won, and we can move on.

Can we talk about Flacco's performance in that game? 1 TD pass sure, but drops and the bad run game stalled the drive. And you can see through replays why the run game is so bad - our center can't assign blocks very well at all. There was a wide open hole due to the ZBS that, were one block assigned better, would prevent a lineman from going straight through it and tackling rice for a 1 yard gain at best. I can kinda see why Ray dives for everything instead of fighting tackles - not only is he battling injury but at this point he figures it's better to dive for the extra yard than get tackled for 1 yard or two less. We need to run more stretch plays, because our WRs have shown they can block at least, and Clark is a pretty good blocker (Dickson is not). Could've been a 2 TD performance too if Smith didn't drop a pass at the 2 or fought harder in the endzone for another pass (which would've made it 3 at that point), because our offense scored on almost every possession they had this time, and they weren't always at the 30 when they started their drives. This is the most on-target I've ever seen Flacco, and you can see how much having that possession guy in Brandon Stokley changes our game completely, considering he's finally back now after like 7 weeks of injury. We don't need someone like Anquan who's very very very good at possession (although, he's shut down by man coverage, he's only had two monster games this whole year but part of that is the receivers he's playing with), we just need someone serviceable like Stokley. He was incredible at avoiding pressure despite the oline and the sack, and he ran 10 yards for a first down and instead of sliding just took a tackle. Dude's tough as nails.

Edited by Lord Raven

I've always had a lot of respect for Mike Tomlin(when he was the defensive coordinator of the Vikings we were one of the best in the league). And his move doesn't change that. I actually think the officials are at fault here for not seeing it happening in front of them. Also this has become a thing now:

http://deadspin.com/lets-watch-mike-tomlin-jump-out-of-the-way-of-various-1473824466

That is some crazy stuff in that link. xP

I respect Mike Tomlin too, I think he's cool. He's also the most liked coach in the league by players. And he gave a jersey to a retired crossing guard! And she was an elderly lady. I can't imagine him trying to cheat. I think his stepping on the field was just a big accident.

Edited by Anacybele

- Refs fucked the Cardinals towards the end, they had a chance of coming back (but requiring a TD with zero timeouts) but they were denied cause of

a) a BS holding call

b) on a 4-down stand, they missed two very obvious PIs.

Also, Pats struggled against Houston. Makes me feel a lot better about when they come to M&T.

Damn, Pey-Pey and his Broncos made one hell of a comeback. They were down by 14, now they're up by 14. o.o

Wish the Steelers could've done something similar. But I fear their season is over. I mean, two Centers are hurt, and Bell took that hit. He was practically our whole run game. Unless they have another good stand-in for Center and Bell comes back soon, this team will miss the playoffs again, I think. But at least it wouldn't be because they sucked or anything. They did play well most of the time after that 0-4 start. The team just got some really bad luck at the worst possible time. :(

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, I bet.

Dayum, both the Panthers and the Dolphins totally blew out their opponents. :o Maybe I should hope for a Dolphins vs Panthers Super Bowl now. lol

EDIT: Wait a minute, they really FINED Tomlin for his stunt in the Steeler game? That's bullshit, he's too good a guy for that to have been intentional! I don't like that it happened anymore than the Ravens do, but still. Cut the guy some slack, his team just lost key players to injuries.

Edited by Anacybele

Yes, they fined him. Unintentional or not, they cannot let something like that slide, and are using it to send a message to the rest of the league. I think the fact that it was unintentional helped him quite a bit in preventing a suspension or something, but if a coach directly interferes with a game then knowing they'll be fined a ton of money + potentially losing a draft pick per infraction sends the message. Allowing him to get away with doing it unintentionally means that you can just claim innocence when it happens intentionally.

Jets bench Geno Smith... once they start a new QB I'm pretty sure they'll see why their offense sucks.

I never said they should let it slide. I would've preferred that they give him a warning. That if it happens again, he WILL be fined and lose a draft pick. But whatever, the matter's been dealt with.

Point is for uniformity with regulations. You do it once? Get away with warning. Do it again? THEN you get screwed. Puts it in everyone's heads that they can do it once, say it's unintentional, then do it again and THEN they get hit with a fine and loss of a draft pick. It's not hard to be more careful about where you're walking, and certainly it gives you an incentive to not do that when you get tons of punishments.

the bills lost yet another 1 possession game. despite not being mathematically eliminated im looking forward to the future. the playoff drought will continue for another year.

from this point on, im rooting for the ravens and their consecutive years with a playoff win streak to continue.

Nobody in the AFC is eliminated from the playoffs. Start rooting for the Jags; they may just get the 6th wildcard.

(How interesting that we expected the Jags to go winless, now they have 3 wins and are above the Texans. You just can't predict that)

It would be great if the Jags made it.

The AFC top candidates are probably the Chargers (probably the best team in the hunt but their division is killing them, they need some magic thanks to still having to play both the Broncos and the Chiefs), the Ravens (p sure they're holding onto it rn) and the Dolphins (still have to face NE).

If I'm forgetting any then idk but it looks like the Ravens should get the spot imo.

The Steelers aren't quite out of it. Their remaining schedule is Miami, Cincinnati, @ Green Bay, Cleveland which isn't that difficult all things considered. They can gain a tiebreaker over Miami and could get one over Baltimore as well if the Steelers beat the Browns and Bengals.

Man, I'm so bummed about my Cards loss to the Eagles :<

And I like the Eagles but the Cards are my team man.. I suppose I should be glad about a winning season though, its been since Warner that we've even really been considered a decent team ^^ [although we do still have other great players]

The Steelers aren't quite out of it. Their remaining schedule is Miami, Cincinnati, @ Green Bay, Cleveland which isn't that difficult all things considered. They can gain a tiebreaker over Miami and could get one over Baltimore as well if the Steelers beat the Browns and Bengals.

I'm not denying that Pitt has a chance I just think those are the most likely.

Pitt is more likely than the Chargers in hindsight.

buffalos chance to make the playoffs was like 2% before they lost. im not sure but its deffinately lower now.

sometimes "mathematically alive" is just another term for a "pipe dream". which is where the teams with less than 5 wins sit. i still want the bills to win out but im not going to hold my breath for any miracles.

edit:

I've been messing around with the espn nfl playoff machine, its alot of fun. You guys should check it out if you dont already know about it.

I came up with a scenario where 9 teams finish 7-9 in the afc (Oak, SD, Buf, Mia, NYJ, Bal, Pit, Cle, Ten).

Oakland makes the playoffs because of tiebreakers based on this explanation:

• 6th Seed - Oakland
    Wins tie break over Buffalo, Tennessee and Pittsburgh based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Miami (Buffalo wins tie break over Miami and NY Jets based on head-to-head win percentage). Division tie break was initially used to eliminate NY Jets (Buffalo wins tie break over Miami and NY Jets based on head-to-head win percentage). Division tie break was initially used to eliminate San Diego (Oakland wins tie break over San Diego based on best win percentage in division games). Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Cleveland (Pittsburgh wins tie break over Cleveland based on strength of victory wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in common games). Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Baltimore (Pittsburgh wins tie break over Cleveland based on strength of victory wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in common games).

:

Edited by Hawk King

I agree, except for the Packers part. That'll be hard, because Rodgers will probably be back by then. >_<

Edited by Anacybele

I agree, except for the Packers part. That'll be hard, because Rodgers will probably be back by then. >_<

Still a banged up team missing their #1 WR and starting TE on offense and having a generally banged up defense.

On a slightly related note, Lions fans partying because they can beat the Bears and Packers when both are dealing with MAJOR injury issues make me laugh. Lions are good but healthy teams from the Bears and Packers could probably beat them easily.

Healthy Bears team got killed by them early in the season, wtf were you smoking? Only reason Green Bay creamed them early on is because they didn't have Calvin Johnson... Not unlike a Green Bay team without Aaron Rodgers (the Lions have scrubs for receivers outside of Megatron). Beat them easily? I doubt it. These aren't the 2012 Lions; they are't injured out the asshole, and they're not signing WRs from free agency because all of their WRs are injured. They finally have a running threat in Bush, and having Bush also opens up Joique Bell for whenever they need a change of pace back.

Edited by Lord Raven

Still a banged up team missing their #1 WR and starting TE on offense and having a generally banged up defense.

Dang, this I didn't know about. Let's hope Bell returns 100% by this game then. He's our #1 RB and pretty much our whole run game. And let's hope we have a decent Center. Ugh, having two of those hurt sucks.