Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness

Jedi

Nippon Ichi has done it again.

We have a true sequel to Disgaea 1, i'm sure many people are happy with Laharl back in the spotlight. [As much fun as we had with the other 3 protagonists, Adell in particular for me]

It looks like he is the focus again. Main details can be found here http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Disgaea_D2:_A_Brighter_Darkness

Comes out in NA on October 8, 2013. Not sure about everywhere else and it is already out in Japan.

I will quote part of the page for those of you who are too lazy to look

Gameplay in Disgaea D2 remains the same as other core Disgaea game in the series. Monster Mounting is a new feature that replaces Magichange from Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4. A humanoid character is able to ride on top a Monster allowing the humanoid character to attack on top of the monster while the monster takes damage for the humanoid character. Characters can also build relationships with each other and their compatibility is determined by a heart scale of 1 to 5. It also affects the strength of collaboration attacks used when Monster Mounting depending of the relationship established between a humanoid character and a monster character. Another feature is the Cheat Shop which allows the player to modify certain attributes such as lowering EXP gain by 50% to increase Skill EXP gain by 50%. Other changes that enemies and players will have substantially increased HP and SP beyond 10 billion or more, unlike the other Disgaea games. The player can gain a very small percent of the enemy's stats when he/she defeats the enemy in the Land of Carnage.

Stronger Enemies bills have been changed to a Cheat Shop feature and can be changed freely. Throwing is not limited to throwing straight similar to a Gun's range, but the player can now throw freely within their range similar to the range of a Bow. The Item Bag and Warehouse have been merged into one, with different categories for each Item and the player can have up to 999 Items. The Item World has been renamed to the Item Sea, with changes to Mystery Rooms, Item Assemblies and the inclusion of Bonus Stages which replace Reverse Pirating. The Devil Dojo is a new feature that allows players to increase their Aptitudes to 300%, similar to the Class World and Chara World from previous games. It also can increase EXP, HL, Mana, Weapon EXP, and Skill EXP for characters as well. Multiple characters can be assigned to gain each effect of the Devil Dojo, similar to the Club and Evil Symbol system in previous games.

Weapon Mastery has returned from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and Cursed Memories. A new feature is that players can raise the rank of a Character's Weapon Mastery when creating a character. Skill Boosting has been removed which allows for a more balanced damage formula like in Disgaea 1 and 2. Bills can be passed with HL instead of Mana and the player can buy Legendary skills with HL instead of Mana. The player can change the character that they use to move around the base instead of being limited to Laharl. Land of Carnage is now unlocked after beating the game as a feature in the Cheat Shop rather than being a separate world. The X-Dimension/Dark World does not return in Disgaea D2 however. Other changes include visual improvements to Menus and HUDs, a more detailed movement grid, and a provided description for the effect of each Innocent.

A preview image of the game show that it will star Laharl, Etna and Flonne. Laharl and Etna have received mild redesigns (Laharl now wears pants and fingerless gloves while Etna wears shorts) and Flonne is in her Fallen Angel Form (albeit with a different neck bow and a bow on her left leg). The image showed several generic class characters like the Male Warrior, Female Warrior, Skull, Witch, Healer, Thief, Prinny, Gunner, Beastmaster, Ninja, Samurai, Male Brawler, Female Brawler, Archer, Magic Knight, Masked Hero, Shaman, Onmyo Monk and Celestial Host. The image also shows a newly designed Male Healer, a female Heavy Knight (who Barbara is based on) and a male Celestial Host.
Edited by Jedi

A shame that I wont be playing it since its on the ps3, i really enjoyed the ones for the ps2, maybe if the ps4 is backwards compatible, i might get it, but unless thats the case It wont happen\, though it does look great.

Edited by Cyron

A shame that I wont be playing it since its on the ps3, i really enjoyed the ones for the ps2, maybe if the ps4 is backwards compatible, i might get it, but unless thats the case It wont happen\, though it does look great.

I've got a PS3, I'll probably be picking this up at some point. I forgot if they said the PS4 was backwards compatable

Been awhile since Lahral was the main character, I wonder what the story will be about. Also did I just seem female version of Laharl?

Sounds like its a story element its expanded on a tad on the page I linked. Offical name of that form is Laharl-Chan haha

Oh boy. That is going to be amusing. I forgot about that lol

Lahral: Wh..what madness is this!?! What happen to my body!? Why am I a female!? And most importantly(touches breast)....Wh...waaaaa!!! Why do I have big, gigantic, boobs!

Hahaha. Yeah, also I can only imagine how the item descriptions will be this time. Considering how amazing they always are.

Laharl genderswap. Fangirls rejoice. Sane players get their razorblades out. The japanese proceed as normal.

Haha, I personally find it funny. Due to the very well done comedic writing in the series we may have something akin to Ranma 1/2 here :P

My boy Adell better make an return, this time not as DLC.

Adell will return... as DLC.

Anyway, I used to work for NIS, so I caught up with some old workmates at AX and got a few details:

- This is "like Disgaea 5, but since we revisited an old story, it'll be Disgaea D2"

- Same old Disgaea, with some new features, like Etna riding a Prinny.

- If you pre-order off the NIS website, you can buy a $90 special edition with waaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff. If you pre-ordered that Anime Expo, you even got soundtracks, wallscrolls, and Mr. Sohei Niikawa (the game's director) to sign something for you and take a picture with you wearing a Prinny hat.

But yeah, looking forward to this. I'm really hoping they'll have a Vita port, though. The Disgaea games are a lot better on handhelds due to the nature of their style and gameplay.

Adell will return... as DLC.

Anyway, I used to work for NIS, so I caught up with some old workmates at AX and got a few details:

- This is "like Disgaea 5, but since we revisited an old story, it'll be Disgaea D2"

- Same old Disgaea, with some new features, like Etna riding a Prinny.

- If you pre-order off the NIS website, you can buy a $90 special edition with waaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff. If you pre-ordered that Anime Expo, you even got soundtracks, wallscrolls, and Mr. Sohei Niikawa (the game's director) to sign something for you and take a picture with you wearing a Prinny hat.

But yeah, looking forward to this. I'm really hoping they'll have a Vita port, though. The Disgaea games are a lot better on handhelds due to the nature of their style and gameplay.

You used to work for NIS? Consider me jealous!