FE:A How do Generals suck?

My main character is a General, and has been for a while. I have always loved the tank builds/classes in RPGs, and so when I got tired of being a Great Knight, I decided to become a General.

Almost everywhere I read, I see people griping about their movement and their weakness to magic, and I am here to clear some of this up.

I am a level 20 General with all of my stats maxed-out. I started out with +DEF and -Luck.

My equipped skills are:
Sol (Never needed)
Luna
Locktouch
Movement +1
Ignis

Any enemy I run into almost always has a 0% chance of hitting me, and if they do hit me, I always take 0 damage.

My move as a general is 8, which is equal to a Great Knight, all it took was the skill "Movement +1" and 1 "Boots" item.

My max Resist is 37, I have never met a mage capable of inflicting any damage to me, at all. Their damage against me in a fight is always 0, with normally a 0-25% to hit. The only time I have taken damage as a General was against a Warrior Ruffian that was wielding a Hammer, and he hit me for 1 damage.

So, to anyone who says Generals suck, please stop. Gernerals can be amazing, I am one.

Stats:
HP 80
Str 49
Mag 29
Skill 41
Spd 35
lck 44
Def 54
Res 37

Mov 8

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No this is my first play through (I will try lunatic after beating the game), I have none of the DLC yet, but I have seen people complaining about generals even on normal difficulty, and those are more of who I was talking about. Besides, I read somewhere that Fredrick is a godsend on lunatic, so if a Great Knight is so good on that difficulty, then surely a class with Higher max STR, DEF, RES, and SKILL would be better.

I only wish I could get Lancefaire as a male character.

Edited by chernobog

No no Freddy's bases are what's good. Lunatic+ skills make this class useless. The breaker skills in R&R wreck their accuracy. Take it from someone who has general worth 100000 gold in their logbook they are not the best class.

Great Knight is not that good in Lunatic

FREDERICK is good

Oh, I wasn't aware that he was better than other Great Knights, sorry about that.

No no Freddy's bases are what's good. Lunatic+ skills make this class useless. The breaker skills in R&R wreck their accuracy. Take it from someone who has general worth 100000 gold in their logbook they are not the best class.

I know they are not the best, but they must be far from the worst, I would much rather be a General than a Bowknight or a Warrior.

Oh, I wasn't aware that he was better than other Great Knights, sorry about that.

I know they are not the best, but they must be far from the worst, I would much rather be a General than a Bowknight or a Warrior.

I'd rather have a warrior. Better damage. More useful skills. Also anything an archer can promote to sucks automatically.

The question you have to ask is, how much of what you said is because you're a General, and how much is because your stats are just incredibly high in general?

My equipped skills are:

Sol (Never needed)

Luna

Locktouch

Movement +1

Ignis

Any enemy I run into almost always has a 0% chance of hitting me, and if they do hit me, I always take 0 damage.

Generals have exceptionally low speed (among the lowest in the game). If you were in any other class, even more enemies would have 0% hit rates against you. And the damage they'd deal would also be very low. Not special.

My move as a general is 8, which is equal to a Great Knight, all it took was the skill "Movement +1" and 1 "Boots" item.

So all it took was a skill slot and the rarest item in the game? Uhh...

Being literally any other class, you could get movement even higher. That'd a BIG advantage. Being a Great Knight would give you 9+ movement. In a flying class you could have 11+.

My max Resist is 37, I have never met a mage capable of inflicting any damage to me, at all. Their damage against me in a fight is always 0, with normally a 0-25% to hit. The only time I have taken damage as a General was against a Warrior Ruffian that was wielding a Hammer, and he hit me for 1 damage.

37 Resistance and you aren't taking damage? That's not impressive. Not least because almost any other promoted class would give you much higher resistance anyway. Also try comparing to endgame lunatic level mages, who are typically sporting around ~60 might. They'd 4HKO you.

So, to anyone who says Generals suck, please stop. Gernerals can be amazing, I am one.

Your comparison is insane. You've massively grinded which is enough to trivialise even Luantic, and yet are probably playing on Normal, which has laughably weak enemies even at endgame. And yet you're placing how good your characters is on being a General, not on the huge amounts of levels and items you've given him?

Reclass to a Paladin. Just do it. Watch how things are suddenly even more crazy good for you.

Generals really are the weaker classes in all of Fire Emblem. They have some niche usage(Oswin, FE10 Gatrie, reclassed Catria or Luke), but using them full-time is pretty bad.

If you grind and cap all your stats, EVERY CLASS IS GOOD. Amazing even.

Not really, there are classes that can still get beat if you are not careful, what I am saying is with my maxed stats; My speed is high enough to attack any enemy so far 2x (people like to complain about General's speed not being high enough), with my maxed Resist magic has never done damage to me (despite that supposed terrible weakness to magic). I have seen some of my other characters take good damage and not deal much in return with maxed out stats. Not all of the classes are completely balanced and having maxed out stats doesn't make your character amazing.

Generals really are the weaker classes in all of Fire Emblem. They have some niche usage(Oswin, FE10 Gatrie, reclassed Catria or Luke), but using them full-time is pretty bad.

I can understand that, and when my General runs into a snag, I will do something about it. As of right now, my General seems pretty invincible, and can take care of anything in his way, he hasn't run into any problems yet.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

here's the thing

anyone is good in Normal Mode

play Lunatic and say that

also having shitty mov is horrible even if you use the boots because you can use the boots to give a mount 10 mov or a better foot unit 8 mov (ie: manakete,berserker,assassin)

ps: you aren't invincible in Lunatic as one at all, let alone Luna+/Apotheosis/anywhere where something has luna and gen's speed cap is really bad

like,GK is bad but General is horrible

Edited by Cluie

Uhhh no

I should mention this, saying X unit is of Y class, so Y is good is a terrible logic

You might think class matters, but in the grand scheme of things the character is MUCH more significant than the class

This is why something like ridiculously slow Archer/Sniper happened throughout FE(go look around and see how many Slow Archers there are in the series)

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

You're also using Avatar as an example. Avatar is good as anything...I expect lots of flaming. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Not really, there are classes that can still get beat if you are not careful, what I am saying is with my maxed stats; My speed is high enough to attack any enemy so far 2x (people like to complain about General's speed not being high enough), with my maxed Resist magic has never done damage to me (despite that supposed terrible weakness to magic). I have seen some of my other characters take good damage and not deal much in return with maxed out stats. Not all of the classes are completely balanced and having maxed out stats doesn't make your character amazing.

I think you're getting hyped up over the CHARACTER who's in the class, NOT the class itself. I'm just repeating what others said, but Generals have low move, for one. And second, on anything above normal mode, you'd need to watch for forged effective weapons.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Uhhh no

I should mention this, saying X unit is of Y class, so Y is good is a terrible logic

You might think class matters, but in the grand scheme of things the character is MUCH more significant than the class

This is why something like ridiculously slow Archer/Sniper happened throughout FE(go look around and see how many Slow Archers there are in the series)

I know that, playing Awakening I have seen how some characters are better than others of the same class, I just didn't know Frederick was so special.

I think you're getting hyped up over the CHARACTER who's in the class, NOT the class itself.

Maybe alittle, you might be right, but I still like tanks and generals seem to do that the best.

but Generals have low move, for one. And second, on anything above normal mode, you'd need to watch for forged effective weapons.

The low move is not an issue, read what I typed at the start of the thread, my MOV is 8, equal to that of a Great Knight, so MOV is not an issue.

The low move is not an issue, read what I typed at the start of the thread, my MOV is 8, equal to that of a Great Knight, so MOV is not an issue.

You gave him the rarest item in the game to get his move up to par with Great Knights, who also have low movement anyway. Your argument makes no sense.

Edited by Tables

Gernerals can be amazing

Yeah, they have the potential, but General isn't an inherently amazing class. The class has some flaws that will quickly become apparent if you try to play without grinding. Since you listed capped stats I'm assuming that you're talking about the results after grinding. Most of the people who complain are talking about generals during the game; many of the units that are capable of becoming generals don't have very nice res and the General class does not do much to augment it. On top of that it's a sluggish class and they do have bad move before they have access to movement enhancing skills and the boots (which they will not have unless you grind). Any class can be amazing to be in after grinding for skills and all class caps are sufficient to wreck every enemy on normal mode.

Basically the General class has overkill stats in areas that aren't needed, the lowest speed cap out of all promoted classes, AND the least move out of all promoted classes. There are plenty of other classes that could shrug off hits from most foes while having more move and speed. If you were to seal your avatar back to Great Knight he'd have 10 move and comparable stats as well as having complete weapon triangle control (I don't understand why generals don't have this too, but whatever).

Feel free to keep your MU as a general though; no one is stopping you from making a team full of generals :P

Edited by Pikachu

I did. However, I also read what others posted - I could've used both of those on like a Trickster or Sage and have 9 movement, OR I can get 11 move by using those on a Paladin or flying unit.

here's the thing

anyone is good in Normal Mode

play Lunatic and say that

also having shitty mov is horrible even if you use the boots because you can use the boots to give a mount 10 mov or a better foot unit 8 mov (ie: manakete,berserker,assassin)

ps: you aren't invincible in Lunatic as one at all, let alone Luna+/Apotheosis/anywhere where something has luna and gen's speed cap is really bad

like,GK is bad but General is horrible

I was posting this mostly because I have seen some people throughout the internet complain about generals, while playing on normal mode. I am on my first playthrough and will be doing lunatic afterwards, so I will be back to post how great my General did there too (hopefully). Also, yes having shitty move is horrible, but my move is not horrible, I started with a terrible 5, now I have a decent 8, and if I pair with a GK, then I have 9. I never said that my speed cap is great, I just said that is enough to attack twice on every enemy I have encountered, and I am on chapter 21. I welcome enemies with Luna, because then my almighty General MIGHT get a challenge out of that, but seeing how a Hammer (strong vs armored enemies) hit me for 1 (almost 0) damage, I am sure that I will be fine.

The only issues I have with my General is my Luna animation and my inability to get Lancefaire because I am male.

I did. However, I also read what others posted - I could've used both of those on like a Trickster or Sage and have 9 movement, OR I can get 11 move by using those on a Paladin or flying unit.

Agreed, I know that there are units with better move out there, I never disputed that. I was saying that my move is 8, which is not terrible, I took a weakness and got rid of it, that is what I was saying. I am not on here yelling at people to bow down to my almighty General and tremble, I am merely trying to get the point across that maybe, just maybe Generals are not as bad as people let on, and can be made good.

Yeah, they have the potential, but General isn't an inherently amazing class. The class has some flaws that will quickly become apparent if you try to play without grinding. Since you listed capped stats I'm assuming that you're talking about the results after grinding. Most of the people who complain are talking about generals during the game; many of the units that are capable of becoming generals don't have very nice res and the General class does not do much to augment it. On top of that it's a sluggish class and they do have bad move before they have access to movement enhancing skills and the boots (which they will not have unless you grind). Any class can be amazing to be in after grinding for skills and all class caps are sufficient to wreck every enemy on normal mode.

Basically the General class has overkill stats in areas that aren't needed, the lowest speed cap out of all promoted classes, AND the least move out of all promoted classes. There are plenty of other classes that could shrug off hits from most foes while having more move and speed. If you were to seal your avatar back to Great Knight he'd have 10 move and comparable stats as well as having complete weapon triangle control (I don't understand why generals don't have this too, but whatever).

Feel free to keep your MU as a general though; no one is stopping you from making a team full of generals :P

Thank you for understanding that I am saying that Generals CAN be good and I am not saying that they ARE good. I considered being a Great Knight again to utilize that 10 move, but I will lose out on some STR, DEF, and RES, and I will lose a good bit of skill. I will certainly not make a party of Generals, lol, I am the only General on my team. Yes I did grind, and I know that is the main reason my general is as good as he is, but I love tanks, and Generals make the best Tanks.

Dude normal mode is pathetic. The enemies are so weak. And if you want to counter arguments about move just go with deliverer. But wait their better classes to use it in. A max stat wyvern lord with iote's shield, deliverer, movement +1, axe breaker, and limit breaker would wreck any general in the game. Doesn't matter how good your unit is. A unit with the same favoritism in a better class will wreck you. Generals aren't that good. Now as a support bot they're okay as a combat unit, not so much.

if you're male why the fuck are you not using berserker

there is literally -no point- to pretty much any other male class that isn't that/sage/assassin

also on Normal everything is really shitty,my capped Hero!MU faces 0% and tiny damage from everything in rar3 with helswath

...your boots thing? boots are better used to make a mobile unit more mobile (especially with galeforce)

+ 8mov/worst terrain penalties is still < 8mov

edit: yeah they aren't bad as supports but berserker is still clearly the best for physical classes

Edited by Cluie

if you're male why the fuck are you not using berserker

there is literally -no point- to pretty much any other male class that isn't that/sage/assassin

also on Normal everything is really shitty,my capped Hero!MU faces 0% and tiny damage from everything in rar3 with helswath

edit: yeah they aren't bad as supports but berserker is still clearly the best for physical classes

Bias? Because that happens to be the case with me - I hate the berserker design in Awakening for some reason. Not having a skill I care about enough to make me even consider it as a class option (lolwrath, and Axefaire is something I can't bring myself to care about getting) pretty much means that I'll pass over it for anything else.

Agreed, I know that there are units with better move out there, I never disputed that. I was saying that my move is 8, which is not terrible, I took a weakness and got rid of it, that is what I was saying. I am not on here yelling at people to bow down to my almighty General and tremble, I am merely trying to get the point across that maybe, just maybe Generals are not as bad as people let on, and can be made good.

Hey, I understand what you're saying. But this is with the use of a one-of-a-kind item. (Well, technically, two-of-a-kind, but considering how much Renown is needed for the other pair of Boots...)

Edited by Levant Fortner

Hey, I understand what you're saying. But this is with the use of a one-of-a-kind item. (Well, technically, two-of-a-kind, but considering how much Renown is needed for the other pair of Boots...)

Well I am glad you atleast understand what I am trying to say, everyone else seems to be misunderstanding.