Should Fire Emblem be on handheld or console systems?

Melonhead

Handheld or Consoles?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform do you think Fire Emblem is better on?

• Handhelds, like the 3DS
    • Consoles like the Wii U and Wii
    • Both are good.
    • Emulator only!
  2. 2. In the future, do you see Fire Emblem more console-based or handheld-based?

• Handheld for the future!
    • Consoles will dominate!
    • It will probably be a mix.
    • Fire Emblem has no future. (Evil Music)

So, I guess the title says it all. Do you think a game like Fire Emblem is better partnered with handheld systems or consoles? And how do you think it will actually turn out in the future?

I don't really think these types of games benefit as much from high processing power as real time games do, such as shooters, but it's still helpful. More power means more game! I also believe the handheld systems are more user friendly and simple, which makes turn-based stuff easier to play.

I kind of see handheld as the future for Fire Emblem too, but with the Fire Emblem U talk going around, it seems consoles aren't out of the picture just yet.

Edited by Melonhead

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's pros and cons to either kind so the best case scenario would be both, but I think the commercial failure of the Radiance games has really turned IS off from the idea of making more big-budget console games. Tbh with FE being so close to cancellation prior to Awakening I'd rather they not risk putting a game on the Wii U especially since it hasn't been selling. Handheld seems to be a fairly safe bet. I even think remakes would do quite well now even if 11/12 didn't, since a) Awakening has boosted the series' popularity and b) they've probably learned what not to do with a remake.

I like them being on both; it means its more accessible to people who play either/or, or both. And I certainly wouldn't mind it continuing to be a mix in the future. Though if the future of the series depends upon it being solely hand held, I guess I could deal with that....

I think FE should go on both kinds of consoles. There's no reason it should only stay on one or the other. For those of you saying the Wii U would be a bad idea simply because PoR and RD didn't sell as well as some other FE titles or that the Wii U isn't selling, you have to keep two important things in mind here.

1. If IS learned what not to do with remakes, surely they've also possibly learned what not to do with home console titles.

2. The Wii U is still fairly new. The 3DS went through a similar phase before price cuts and ace titles were released for it. The Wii U should get the same treatment, especially with titles like Smash Bros., Zelda, and more Mario coming for it. I've no doubt that a Pokemon title or two will be made for it as well. There's also SMTxFE on the way.

I really want the next FE to be on the Wii U because I think an FE game would look GREAT in HD and with the Wii U, IS could make a longer game with a kickass story and be able to add more content. Awakening was a step in the right direction and was pretty much exactly what I wanted Nintendo to do with FE. Learn from the mistakes that prevented the previous titles from being big sellers and advertise FE more than usual. The next step is to take this up a notch and create an even bigger title with Awakening's popular features and popular features from previous games. Add in the same amount of advertising and I have no doubts that this game would get sales that surpass Awakening's.

IS would so benefit from having me work for them. lol

No preference. If I had to choose, however, I'd say handheld simply because I can take a handheld system with me everywhere without having to set it up. I haven't been able to play the Tellius games in so long because I don't feel like lugging my Wii out of state when I go to school :P

Handhelds suit the series better. Handhelds are better for games that can be picked up and put back down easily, which FE most definitely is since you can basically always stop at any point without losing any progress. It also doesn't benefit like other games do from a bigger screen and/or better graphics.

Handheld so I can play it on the go also I like pausing via closing the screen. Consoles are stuck the wall and FE in particular doesn't really benefit from the positive things that consoles offer. I also feel like the more simplistic sprites are easier to move around visually. PoR/RD overcomplicates things with full models and sometimes I get a bit confused positioning units while it was never a problem with the smaller sprites of handhelds.

I mean you could do the simple sprites on a console i guess but what a waste of power and you're still stuck to the wall

Emulation is good too, I carry my laptop with me everywhere anyway

I liked fire emblem on a console, but I don't think that its the smartest thing to do. Fire Emblem isn't exactly the best selling series and was on the verge of cancelation before awakening came alone. I think handhelds will be the safest place for Fire emblem, simply because they can't afford another bad selling game.

Handheld so I can play it while taking a dump

Wait

In all seriousness a mix of both would be preffered for obvious reason(more games) but I would prefer handhelds simply because I don't have room for non handheld stuff

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Now, I did read the interviews so I know that even before IS started the GBA games, there goal was to go back to the consoles.

But I have to disagree with their opinion that this is the best way to play their games.

I don't see the games benefit from the qualities of a console. But on handhelds...

Turnbased games are so much easier to play on the go then action games. And it can be interrupted any time you want.

So Fire Emblem's qualities really shine there.

And developing for the Wii U would make the development costs explode while doing the entire opposite for the sales.

That would be a huge mistake. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the crossover serves to test the waters for that.

Edited by BrightBow

The Wii U is still pretty recent, I would say it's not a good idea to invest on it so soon, especially since IS wants more than 700,000 copies sold. It's better to invest in the handheld market, also because there isn't as much competition as there will be in 2 years from now regarding the consoles market. So, yes, more copies will be sold in a handheld.

fire emblem should go on systems that i can emulate because that is the only way that i can afford to play them.

this

why waste money on Nintendo?

FE is definitely a handheld game, but i would really be all for a console FE if the console FE's they made weren't just the same thing with higher production value. i can't think of any ideas right now, but with a team of developers, the IS team is perfectly capable of coming up with mechanics to make the game more appropriate for consoles. FE9 and 10 were basically just GBA FE games, but with skills added, and i think i read somewhere that FE10 doesn't even have supports...anyway, FE just demands so much waiting from the player and the gameplay needs to be more engaging or handhelds are just always going to be the better machines for running Fire Emblem games.

As much as I loved Radiant Dawn, I feel FE would be a lot better as a handheld game. D: Nothing was better than playing some Awakening between classes during the Spring 2013 semester. Of course, it also sometimes distracted me from studying and homework, but let's ignore that for now...

FE is definitely a handheld game, but i would really be all for a console FE if the console FE's they made weren't just the same thing with higher production value.

There is also this. FE doesn't earn that many benefits from a potent console because the point of the games isn't exploiting the better hardware and graphics and space. It can do perfectly well even in a handheld, and averagely well on a console.