Stupid Fanboys Petition Microsoft to bring back DRM

Jedi

The main problem with what the XBOne was doing not only restricted consumer rights and priveledges for games and hardware they paid to own (not rent, not lease, not hire), but they are also implementing it by creating a complete monopoly by Microsoft and associated partners (like Gamestop, who they are supposed to be trying to eliminate by removing used game sales). Moreover, more than half of the new "features" that they are trying to implement are simply replacements for the fact that you can't just take a disc and lend it to your friend.

The main problem I have with Microsoft and its planned policies that these people are trying to get back is that rather than provide gamers with a superior service to what they have now, they are simply killing off the competition by programming it into their console. I don't see the reason they are unable or unwilling to offer a simplified version of these features together with traditional disc-based game copies. In fact, if they want more gamers to switch over to digital, they should keep physical media around, as a reminder of both the conveniences and advantages of digital media.

I went looking through and most were troll posts but:

I didn't see what the problem was, when you play on your Xbox, PS3, Phone and most tables your always ONLINE!!! So what was the big problem about a console that was ALWAYS ONLINE when 99% of you who would buy it will be using it online anyways!

Yes it was a big deal actually being told that you have to connect atleast once every 24 hours but so what your already connected to the net with almost every other bit of kit in your homes theses days, the only difference is choice, we choose to have theses online all the time but we don't seem to like being told that the next thing we buy WILL be online WTF wake up people the world is changing to a more digital future and pulling shit like this is a big back track!!!

Microsoft took the next step but due to a butch of crybabys they then had to take 2 steps back how the fuck is that progress!!!!!

Microsoft was attempting to innovate once again in the console space. Sony is trying to keep the market stagnant and free of innovation due to their lack of it. XboxOne was the innevitable next step in console gaming. Now it is just a more powerful console. Change it back. Change the industry.

alternatively...

DICKS

Edited by Kelsper

Without DRM, you can now share games by simply handing them to your friends! It's so easy! It's like the future of sharing games or something!

It's like anything intelligent in this thread has been wiped out by the vast number of people wanting to be thicker than fucking whale blubber.

Do any of you even understand WHY Microsoft thought up DRM? Hint: It's about making money from other angles.

I already told you the whole family sharing thing was bullshit, did you miss that part

Let's say that I did. You're the only person I've found who's said there was a 1 hour time limit on it. May I see where you found that, because I haven't seen a time limit on sharing content in any DRM info I've found. If you've got the actual policy documentation, I'd love to look at it.

Let's say that I did. You're the only person I've found who's said there was a 1 hour time limit on it. May I see where you found that, because I haven't seen a time limit on sharing content in any DRM info I've found. If you've got the actual policy documentation, I'd love to look at it.

i think he's referencing the fact that the games that got shared to you get deleted within a certain time period unless xbox force one connects to the internet within said time period to update and big brother spy etc.

i said i think doe, i skim most overzealous mad nerd posts

http://kotaku.com/rumor-about-xbox-one-family-sharings-downsides-has-fla-534484570

I also remember reading about it, but I can't find it anymore, of the original blog post of the disappointed Microsoft employee:

When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.

Access to your library for a limited time, with seamless integration in which your current progress and save file is not erased, and you can keep playing the game while it's downloading after you purchase it.

...sounds like gimmicky BS to me.

...until of course you read the rest of the article.

There was no such thing. The only limitation was that only one person could have access to it at any one time. As in they can't play it at the same time.

...and then we don't know which was true.

...and we probably never will.

But honestly, all that family sharing features... all for the price of those restrictions of 24 hour online checking in? Sounds... a little too much just for that feature.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Alright well that that first I've heard of anyone saying it's gonna be anything other than a "demo", so I'll concede that. It's not like Microsoft executives have done anything shady recen--

38f56c82-3688-4230-b4fd-d367ebbcf97c.jpg

Heh-heh.

Regardless, it's not worth the DRM bullshit. Not that it matters to me either way.

It's like anything intelligent in this thread has been wiped out by the vast number of people wanting to be thicker than fucking whale blubber.

Do any of you even understand WHY Microsoft thought up DRM? Hint: It's about making money from other angles.

Stopping pirates is not worth screwing the average customer over.

Alright well that that first I've heard of anyone saying it's gonna be anything other than a "demo", so I'll concede that. It's not like Microsoft executives have done anything shady recen--

38f56c82-3688-4230-b4fd-d367ebbcf97c.jpg

Heh-heh.

Nintendo and Sony do that too. It's more reliable than depending on what at that point would have to be a dev kit, which tend to be unreliable due to incomplete QA. Microsoft has a lot of problems with the One, but that's not one of them.

The DRM went in the exact opposite direction of "attempting to offer better or on-par ease-of-use than do pirates," it scorched a bunch of functions gamers have come to expect, it would have severely limited where in the world games can actually be played (as a member of the military, Life, I'd think you'd be pretty keen of that angle), and the demo-sharing (yes, demo-sharing, not game-sharing) is paltry reparation.

It's indefensible. It might be sad when "doing nothing" is fucking heroic of Sony, but it is.

Nintendo and Sony do that too. It's more reliable than depending on what at that point would have to be a dev kit, which tend to be unreliable due to incomplete QA. Microsoft has a lot of problems with the One, but that's not one of them.

Nah, I know it's "fairly" common for companies to do that.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/56841-microsofts-e3-xbox-one-demos-ran-nvidia-powered-pcs/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/14/ps4-games-demoed-on-ps4-dev-kits-says-blow-xbox-one-games-spotted-running-on-pcs-with-nvidia-cards-bodes-ill-for-launch/

GTX 700 cards, though? Also dat windows 7, yo. It was meant to be a throwaway joke, anyway. I could have substituted that with 100's of other things.

Stopping pirates is not worth screwing the average customer over.

The saddest part is the likelihood for piracy could potentially increase... People can find ways to get around all sorts of crap.

Edited by Interest

Where are people getting this stupid idea that it was primarily made to reduce piracy? Given how the system was set up, it was always about getting money from the used game market.

edit: goddamn i must be on something

Edited by Constable Reggie

But honestly, all that family sharing features... all for the price of those restrictions of 24 hour online checking in? Sounds... a little too much just for that feature.

There's a difference between liking the entire DRM policy and liking specific things it offered. I'm not saying we should impose a draconian Microsoft tyranny over gamers. I do think the content sharing feature by itself is a great idea and should be implemented.

and the demo-sharing (yes, demo-sharing, not game-sharing) is paltry reparation.

The only things I've found saying it was demo sharing were statements made by a disgruntled Xbox employee. Maybe I'm being cynical, but something about "disgruntled Xbox employee" strikes me as somewhat biased. Anything I've read that doesn't mention a "disgruntled" or "heartbroken employee" does not say it was a demo. I could be wrong of course, and there's really no way to know exactly what it was going to be now that it's over and done.

Edited by Dieselpunk