The Steam Summer Getaway Sale!

BlueFire

The long-awaited Steam Summer Sale has finally arrived, giving PC gamers a kind of Christmas in July! Lots of games are on sale at up to 90%, But more commonly I'm seeing 33-75%, which is still awesome!

I'm sure a lot of PC gamers are already aware of this, but if not, check out the 12-day sale here:

http://store.steampowered.com/

For an overview of today's (7/11/13) specific sales, see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnDQE1M3ELE

:D::D::D:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaurgh Totalbiscuit, put up a notice that it links to him.

Going to pick up the Bionic Commando pack and Ridge Racer Unbounded once my wallet fills up a bit more from my cards, and hoping the Borderlands 2 dlc goes on sale, preferably 66% for the characters. Don't see anything else I realy want for now.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Something interesting I notice is that some games have dropped their sale %'s. Like Ys I & II, going from 50% to 40%. Ah well, I suppose it's not that much of a deal... unless it affects the sale % for when they go Daily/Flash sale... hmm...

Something interesting I notice is that some games have dropped their sale %'s. Like Ys I & II, going from 50% to 40%. Ah well, I suppose it's not that much of a deal... unless it affects the sale % for when they go Daily/Flash sale... hmm...

Daily Deals, Flash Deals, and Community Choices are temporarily cheaper, while almost all Steam games have a fixed sale % till the 22nd.

Oh damn.

I only made a Steam account a few weeks ago and still only have the Portal games. However, I get the feeling I'll be adding a few more to my list...

Any suggestions on today's sales?

Daily Deals, Flash Deals, and Community Choices are temporarily cheaper, while almost all Steam games have a fixed sale % till the 22nd.

No, the game only had the standard Summer Sale, but the % changed anyway. It had no notice, no timer, or anything of the sort to suggest it was under two sales at the same time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Oh damn.

I only made a Steam account a few weeks ago and still only have the Portal games. However, I get the feeling I'll be adding a few more to my list...

I'll tell you what I've heard from various sources (I follow gaming news and discussion heavily, listening to hours of it every day at work).

For today's sales: Bioshock Infinite has one of the best video game stories ever with an excellent sidekick character. Left 4 Dead 2 is a great co-op shooter that really enforces teamwork. Don't Starve is my favorite survival game, with actual challenge to survive in a procedurally generated world and a dark tone to it. I saw Antichamber when it was in beta and it was quite surprising - basically, it forces you to think against your sensical habits to solve puzzles. You may like it if you enjoy Portal. I'd avoid Defiance, as there are better (F2P) MMOs.

For the next 40 minutes, Skyrim is on sale and its PC port is great because it has many interesting mods, and Grid 2 is a racing game but compared to Forza and NFS, it was lacking in some areas.

Oh damn.

Look primarily at the flash sales, these are the cheapest.

Newly released games will most likely not make it to a flash sale so they either won't have a sale price or are stuck with the current sale price for the duration

It would help to know what kind of games you're interested in, for example if you were interested in Killing Floor, I would say that it's extremely likely to go on flash sale at $5 as opposed to its current $10

I personally don't have any interest in today's flash sale, but if you're interested in Dragon Age Origins, picking it up now would be the best time, if you miss it, better hope it shows up on flash sale again.

Edited by Sirius

I kinda want to get Bioshock Infinite but I never beat the first game because I couldn't really get into it. I'm also really tempted to get Skyrim but no matter what anyone says about it, it still has a bit of a price tag.

Will probably get Antichamber and Don't Starve, though.

I'd recommend Dungeons of Dredmor, a fantastic roguelike dungeon exploring game and Hotline Miami, a trippy actiony puzzle-like top down game. They're both pretty damn cheap at $1.25 and $2.50 respectively, though DoD's dlc ($.75 each) is worth it too.

I kinda want to get Bioshock Infinite but I never beat the first game because I couldn't really get into it. I'm also really tempted to get Skyrim but no matter what anyone says about it, it still has a bit of a price tag.

Will probably get Antichamber and Don't Starve, though.

Excellent choices. There probably won't be a sale like this until December, so be sure to pick up anything you want to play over the next half-year. I've been filling up my wishlist waiting for this sale ; ]

Remember: a lot of games have demos, so be sure to give them a go before committing your hard-earned (maybe) cash!

It would help to know what kind of games you're interested in, for example if you were interested in Killing Floor, I would say that it's extremely likely to go on flash sale at $5 as opposed to its current $10

I've got a list of my favorite games and series in my profile, but I typically enjoy adventure games, puzzle games, and RPGs the most. Fire Emblem is my all time favorite series, Portal became an instant favorite, Zelda, Metroid, Okami, etc.

Excellent choices. There probably won't be a sale like this until December, so be sure to pick up anything you want to play over the next half-year. I've been filling up my wishlist waiting for this sale ; ]

Remember: a lot of games have demos, so be sure to give them a go before committing your hard-earned (maybe) cash!

Oh, it's my hard-earned dollars all right. However, flash sales don't seem to be giving much time to check out any demos that may exist.

The flash deals aren't that great except for CS:GO (if you're into that kind of twitch shooter, which I'm personally not), 40% off Skyrim (been cheaper before) and Grid2 (just get the first tbh, only 3.75 and equally as good, if not better according to most people) is pathetic and Dragon Age Origins, while a fantastic game, has been cheaper before, unless you absolutely despise Origin.

15 min before the next set, hopefully it's better.

Flash deals are really 8 hours long, so if you check at the earliest you can each time, you can try out a game's demo (if there is one).

I've heard Skyrim like a love-it or hate-it kind of game. It's been critiqued as an ocean of content with no depth. If you like making your own stories out of an open world game, Skyrim is for you.

I've got a list of my favorite games and series in my profile, but I typically enjoy adventure games, puzzle games, and RPGs the most. Fire Emblem is my all time favorite series, Portal became an instant favorite, Zelda, Metroid, Okami, etc.

Try Ys Origin and Ys: Oath in Felghana. If you must choose only one, Ys Origin.

Then there's Bionic Commando: Rearmed but I'm not 100% sure you'll like it, definitely worth looking into though.

EDIT: Bionic Commando: Rearmed's pretty cheap, I'll gift it to ya if you'd like.

Edited by Sirius

I'd recommend Dungeons of Dredmor, a fantastic roguelike dungeon exploring game and Hotline Miami, a trippy actiony puzzle-like top down game. They're both pretty damn cheap at $1.25 and $2.50 respectively, though DoD's dlc ($.75 each) is worth it too.

I beelined straight to Hotline Miami, I'd been wanting to try that for a bit. Hadn't really looked at DoD, though, I'll give that a look when Steam's servers aren't dying to death

Hellyeah BL2 dlc is also on sale, nabbing that shit straight away. Also lol at the current flash deals they all suck.

edit: oh shit the percentages went up from 50 to 75/85, Bastion and maybe Dark Souls (lol horrible terrible port effort, don't bother if you don't have a pc controller) are must buys at those prices.

Yeah don't bother with Dark Souls (a great game horribly marred by terrible porting) if you don't have a controller, it's practically unplayable with kb+m.

Bastion is a total steal at that price though, pick that up.

I enjoyed Demon's Souls so I would like to try Dark Souls, but not sure I want to also go out of my way to get a 360 controller.

I would definitely recommend you purchase Dark Souls and a controller as well, it's one of the best titles out there this generation. It perfectly combines everything that made classic games classic.

As Constable said, though, it is unplayable without a controller. No, really. you can correct the other porting errors with simple mods but you will not be able to play this game without a controller.

So who here took advantage of Best Buy's digital error on Metro Last Light? They were selling it for a penny. So if you were smart and bought dozens you could sell them back quickly or trade them on Steam for a tidy profit. :B

I would definitely recommend you purchase Dark Souls and a controller as well, it's one of the best titles out there this generation. It perfectly combines everything that made classic games classic.

As Constable said, though, it is unplayable without a controller. No, really. you can correct the other porting errors with simple mods but you will not be able to play this game without a controller.

On this note and before I do anything stupid: Steam suggests an XBOX 360 controller, but is it possible/reasonable to use a PS3 controller? I've already got one and a usb connection for it, so my controller issue would be solved.

I wonder if there's going to be a mistake where a game is priced lower than expected for 30 minutes or so. Back in the last winter sale, I was able to get Sleeping Dogs at 91% off, DLCs included (most of them were at 20-40 cents a piece) and even gift it to friends too.

So far I only got the Skyrim DLCs I was missing, but I'll be looking forward to certain flash sales like Ys I, Painkiller and Far Cry 3.

Oh yeah Hotline Miami at 75% off is a pretty good steal. The sequel should be there by the end of the year.

Edited by Doga Blockovich