'Optimal' non-Sorc pairings

So, in most 'optimal' pairings I saw, there's at least one children doomed to be a Sorc. With this set-up, I wanted to prove that it's possible to make an 'optimal' pairing without anyone turning into a Sorc.

Opinions may differ, but I used what most people consider as good pairings.

Chrom/Olivia - Arguably the best pairing(besides the 'implied canon' Chrom/Sumia), this opts for offensive kids, with Vantage, Galeforce, and Luna from both parents. Also, with this, Inigo could get Rightful King. Although just 10% but bigger proc chance = more procs.

Lissa/MaMU - I always think magical Owain is a bit weird(especially with him talking about his sword hand and such), so I wanted him to be a physical unit despite the -2 Str mod. MU is the only character who could make a viable physical Owain without wasting a dad which is better left to someone else.

Sully/Vaike - Some people have been talking about Vaike or Donny being Sully's best bet. Although Donny gives Galeforce, Armsthrift, and an actually decent mods for his kid, but I think Vaike is better since Galeforce isn't needed for tanking. Also, Kjelle still have access to Sol and Armsthrift.

Miriel/Ricken - This is arguably the best pairing for Laurent as a Sage(since no Sorc involved). +6 magic and access to Luna is pretty devastating. Sadly he lacks Galeforce to boot, but he could get Dual Guard+ and Dual Support+ from both parents, making him a support Sage.

Sumia/Henry - This pairing is the best if you want to make Cynthia a Dark Flier. Sumia already provides the skills(Luna, Tomefaire, Galeforce, Renewal), and her -2 Str mod leaves her(and thus, her kid) better as Dark Flier, so safe to say this pairing is mod-only pairing(although Henry gives Lifetaker too).

Maribelle/Lon'qu - Lon'qu allows Brady to be a speedy Sage, with the expense of his defense. He also gets Vantage, and since less defense = more damage, Vantage will proc more often. Also, the fact that Brady is pretty hard to mess up also makes this pairing pretty good.

Panne/Gregor - Arguably the best pairing for Yarne, since most people turn him into a Berserker because Taguel sucks. With Gregor as his dad, he could get access to Vantage, Sol, Armsthrift, and Axefaire. He could also utilize VVW combo using the Vengeance axe as well.

Cordelia/Stahl - For Severa, it's either Lon'qu or Stahl. Usually people pick Stahl since he makes her the best Hero. He also gives Vantage, Luna, and Aegis. Lon'qu is the speedy alternative for her, and still gives Vantage, though no Cav access means no Luna and Aegis, and he's given to Maribelle.

Nowi/Donny - With Donny as her parent, Nah will have access to Galeforce, Armsthrift and Sol. Even with the not-too-stellar mods she will turn out fine. Also, with Donny as her dad she will hit exactly 50 Luck, which allows you to abuse Dragonstone+ as much as you like.

Tharja/Gaius - This pairing is arguably the best for Sniper Noire. Donny is a viable choice too, however Donny gives Armsthrift, but Gaius has better mods, and still have Galeforce. Also, Tharja gives Pavise and Luna, which are pretty good skills too.

Cherche/Frederick - Fred could give PavGis and Luna for Gerome, with the expense of him being pretty slow. Also, he's the other kid who doesn't have Galeforce, but can be a support unit with Dual Support+ and Dual Guard+ from both parents. I could say he's the physical variant of Laurent but slower.

This is the best pairing I could thought so far.

I could work with FeMU too but it'll be a bit harder. I could shuffle some pairings for it though.

Edited by War Cleric

*Puts on troll face*

...Or marry no one except Chrom x Maiden and trust that Chrom and Frederick's bromance will pull you through the entire campaign...Oh and postgame. :P

EDIT: In all seriousness...pretty solid pairing...but there's no way you can avoid having sorcerer as an option for reclassing unless you play the game without pairing or using Tharja, Libra, Henry, MU, Gangrel, Aversa, etc.

Oh yeah and Cordelia...and the list keeps going on and on and on...

Miriel!!!

So then the only usable characters that'll guarantee you a sorcless pair and a sorcless run are: Chrom, Frederick, Lissa, Sully, Virion, Stahl, Vaike, Sumia, Kellam, Gaius, Panne, Gregor, Nowi, Olivia...blah blah blah, Say'ri, Tiki, Flavia, Basilio, Walhart, Priam, and everyone else that I forgot...

Of course this is the extreme end of the continuum ^^'

IF you don't want sorcerers period.

Edited by kDog214

Err, slight error in your post OP. It's Henry who gives Cynthia Lifetaker (because Sumia's enters Sage through Priest) so it's not purely mod-only. Of course, Lifetaker is competing with Renewal for a place in your skill slots, so it's not exactly wrong either.

You forgot Tharja/Gaius.

Oops. Gotta correct it later.

Err, slight error in your post OP. It's Henry who gives Cynthia Lifetaker (because Sumia's enters Sage through Priest) so it's not purely mod-only. Of course, Lifetaker is competing with Renewal for a place in your skill slots, so it's not exactly wrong either.

Well, my mind is already a bit blurry about the game since I haven't played it yet, so thanks.

This is very similar to my current pairings, albeit with a few edits.

I like having Vaike marry Lissa simply because of the Strength boost and access to the Mercenary line (Sol + Vantage is amazing on Owain). You also get blonde hair though I don't consider that massively important.

I then have Donnel marry Sully because of Galeforce and the fact he fits in that slot nicely.

Nowi marries Kellam for a super tanky Nah who in most cases makes Kjelle redundant anyway.

Then I have MU marry either a bonus character or one of the children.

Edited by N7 Dynames

Hmmm,

Just an idea, but as an alternative to your non-sorc pairing, why not try optimizing a team with any of the combination of Renewal, Sol, Luna, Vantage, Pavise, and Aegis that's specialized in using staves as an alternative to dark tomes? That way your team would be more defensively oriented as opposed to the sorcerer's notion of running in and nostanking all day (I know how much you hate sorcs xD).

The only change for you to make would then would be to:

- pair Chrom with Sumia, which gives two kids that have access to P.A.L. with Renewal;

- pair Olivia with Libra, but instead of the "traditional" VWW, you run Sage with Armstthrift, Tomefaire/Galeforce, Sol, Vantage/Agressor, and Limit Breaker;

- pair Lissa with Stahl, since 1. He's no included in any of your pairings, 2. He gives access to Vantage, Luna, and Dual Guard+, and 3. This turns Owain into a decent, albeit, subpar physical/mixed unit in the form of Dread Fighter (mods are +2 in MAG and DEF, and +1 in everything else).

And there you have it! You have a healthy mix of frontliners and staff bots that can kick some serious ass WITHOUT sorcerers.

EDIT: Have a team of Falco Knights, Brides, Sages, and everything else thrown into the mix!

Oh yeah, and this leaves Avatar open to any pairings of your choosing if you want to flexibly go for 3rd Gen Morgan!

Edited by kDog214

- pair Lissa with Stahl, since 1. He's no included in any of your pairings

Cordelia/Stahl - For Severa, it's either Lon'qu or Stahl. Usually people pick Stahl since he makes her the best Hero. He also gives Vantage, Luna, and Aegis. Lon'qu is the speedy alternative for her, and still gives Vantage, though no Cav access means no Luna and Aegis, and he's given to Maribelle.

*cough*

Doh xP

Apparently, Stahl just pulled off the vintage Kellam, which only Kellam can pull lol :')

Edit: Yeah...Nvm...In that case...why not do the following instead *sigh* (need Cordelia for this!!!):

VaikexLissa

DonnelxSully

KellamxNowi

Double Edit:

AND Avatar is still available xD

Edited by kDog214

Doh xP Apparently, Stahl just pulled off the vintage Kellam, which only Kellam can pull lol :') Edit: Yeah...Nvm...In that case...why not do the following instead *sigh* (need Cordelia for this!!!):VaikexLissaDonnelxSullyKellamxNowi Double Edit: AND Avatar is still available xD

Vaike doesn't give Owain Armsthrift, so MU is better...

Vaike doesn't give Owain Armsthrift, so MU is better...

There are alternatives for grinding money and hence weapons:

-Despoil Skill

-Golden Gaffe

-Infinite Regalia

-Leif's Blade with Armsthrift and Limit Break

Even without DLC, anyone with access to Barbarian class can grind money for you...until there are no more skirmishes that is...then it's a test of time. :/

Then there's the issues with the regalias...but then again, forged brave weapons tend to be better from personal experience.

Also, the pairings I suggested were for a physical Owain and a possibility for a 3rd Gen Morgan, good sir... :(

EDIT: Derp forgot about Spotpass Shops xD

...For those hard to get Celica's Gales that is :')

Oh and Spotpass Teams for grinding money with Despoil, so all in all, it's not too big a problem and you'll never run out of money that way. xD

Of course, even with all this available, grinding can be time consuming lol

Without DLC that is...

Edited by kDog214

It's because Mercenary and Hero have the same growths.

Wait so Vaike doesn't actually pass down the Mercenary line? Oh god... I've already S paired Vaike and Lissa under the impression he did >_<

Well there goes that optimal file :'(

Wait so Vaike doesn't actually pass down the Mercenary line? Oh god... I've already S paired Vaike and Lissa under the impression he did >_<

Well there goes that optimal file :'(

He only passes Mercenary down to daughters, unfortunately.

He only passes Mercenary down to daughters, unfortunately.

Yeah I just looked into it a bit more and found that out. Oh well, Owain will still be useable, just very expensive to maintain! I guess thats what I have DLC for.

And on a more positive note I guess I have a new skill spot to consider now! Hmmmm

And maybe this is off topic but why are you avoiding any use of Sorcerers? I don't see the downside??

She hates them with the fury of 1001 suns. Which is about how much I hate Berserkers in this game. (I think the outfit has something to do with it)

Edited by Levant Fortner

She hates them with the fury of 1001 suns. Which is about how much I hate Berserkers in this game. (I think the outfit has something to do with it)

^this post is so much win.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I also hate how they're overhyped, and the fact that 2 of my faves have Dark Mage line.

Edited by War Cleric