Donnel's purpose

The value of Donnel as a unit  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Ingame, how do you view Donnel?

• Yes, he's like the best unit ever.
    • No, Donnel's the worst unit in this game.
    • I just marry him off and use his spawn.

Many people have been over-hyping Donnel as a whole, both new players and old-timers alike.

I think he's a bigger noob trap than Frederick, even though he's suppose to be the traditional noob trap.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Donnel's only use is Aptitude, being a potential Leif's Blade bot, and passing down the Pegasus Knight class to whoever his daughter is that wouldn't normally have it (Kjelle, Nah, Noire).

Other than that, he's pretty terrible.

He's pretty fun for steamrolling the main campaign when you second seal him. Aside from that, he doesn't really hold up postgame like most of the first gens. I usually like to use him as insurance in case things go south.

As a father though, he's great in theory thanks to Mercenary, but iffy in practice because he lacks any useful skills outside of Mercenary since Fighter overlaps in the important part(Hero) and he kills everyone's mods. OK, maybe kill was the wrong word, but he basically turns a given Gen 2 character into a Gen 1.

Pegasus for the Galeforce-less girls is really his only saving grace. He makes some of the worst possible Inigos, Severas and Geromes, Owain and Brady get nothing really substantial (Owain prefers Dark Mage or Luna, Brady's okay with Merc but could do better), and Laurent and Yarne kind of end up as poor alternatives to Gregor or Gaius though they're probably the only sons who could possibly want Donnel otherwise.

Edited by HeoandReo

Donnel overhype where? No really, I don't know what you're talking about.

Donnel's purpose is to be that one unit that starts out horrible but turns into an amazing powerhouse with enough handholding. That's fun for some.

Congrats on getting the worst possible Severa?

A Severa that still kills everything regardless.

But yeah, Severa would rather have Lon'qu as a father, or something.

Edited by Invader ZM

I like him a lot and he's incredibly useful for mid game if you don't mind grinding. Makes a monster Nah, too, regardless of how much you grinded him.

His lower caps don't really bother me as they're only a point or two lower than the other characters' so it's not that much of a difference.

Also, he's freaking adorable.

Donnel is an alright unit. Granted, he's not perfect and gets extremely limited reclassing options, but you gotta admit that a 2nd gen character with Aptitude or Underdog is a good thing to have. Really, the best children for Donnel to have are either Kjelle, Noire, or Nah. He can give all three decent class options with Mercenary, Pegasus Knight, and Troubadour, and he gives a decent boost to their maximum Luck stat (except Noire).

Although a lot of players marry Donnel off to Sully to give Kjelle about 7 base classes to choose from, all of which don't make her terrible. So that's something.

Edited by Karaszure

Really? Donnel!Severa is worst Severa?

That pairing, and Donnel!Inigo is so terrible, it was a fad

Also Donnel hype is a remnant of outdated views that growth make the unit

And if Frederick is any indication, its not.

Wait guys, you're all wrong about this.

Donny's purpose is to grow stronger, come back to his village single, and show his mother that he did not bring SHAME TO FAMIRY and THEN show to all the generic village girls that he's an eligible bachelor.

His purpose is to make people make Chocobo jokes.

I must now rewatch this video a hundred more times. For the lulz.

Honestly I think Donny is closest to Amelia because he usually becomes a strength beast for me :P just like amelia did

Is there an option that is not both ends of the extreme.

He's a good unit if you put in a bit of effort to train him up. He was really helpful in my first playthrough where I didn't do much grinding and was my main source of cash until the money DLC came out. Hell, I brought him along in my run through Apotheosis using only first-gen characters (as a pair-up support only, but still).

He also has the bonus of being cute and fairly nuanced in his supports.