Shin Megami Tensei IV

Samias

What ending are you gunning for?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these endings are you going for?

• Chaos
    • Law
    • Neutral
    • That other one

So SMT4 came out today and...

Wow it's hard. Harder than I expected even with my previous franchise experiences. Strange Journey is like a hand-holding frolic through the flowers. The Persona series is like baby's first RPG.(edit: near the beginning at least. The difficulty of the bosses has kinda eased off) Normal enemies often have the ability to 2HKO your main character. Bosses will often wipe most of your party in one round. If your weakness is exploited, it is absolutely brutal. Your main character might even be 1HKO. Makka (your currency) isn't won from battles but must be scrounged for in dungeon loot, which isn't exactly common. Want to fuse some demons and hire back the pieces? You probably can't afford it! Need to buy revival items because your demons keep eating the dirt? You probably have a hard time affording those too. Want a new demon in stock? Demon negotiation is just as much of a crapshoot as before.

However, you no longer get game over by having your main character defeated. Fusion demons and successful negotiation nets you exp. While bosses hurt like a freight train, successful exploitation of their weakness will smack them down almost just as fast thanks to the Press Turn system. After all, it's not just enemies who can take advantage of strengths and weaknesses. Demon fusions now keep track of grandfathered demons, allowing you to carry over more skills through fusion chains than ever before. There is no more random skill inheritance. And once a demon learns all its skills, it'll allow you to pass on its abilities to your own character at your choosing. You can save anywhere and healing back in town is free.

Man, this game is a whole lot of fun. It's just very sadistic at times and I've only just started.

Edited by Samias

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMT games are always standalone. You might miss some references towards older games but you'll be perfectly able to understand the story. The difficulty on normal mode is very, very high, especially if you don't know what you're doing, but death is a little more relaxed in this game and the game will unlock easy mode (which you can freely toggle on and off) if you're struggling. I haven't caved in and lowered the difficulty so I can't say how much the game eases up, but it should make things manageable especially once you grasp the strategy behind every battle.

Fuck those little rat things.

Little bastards always steal my shit when I try to negotiate with them. Although, one did give me the Myrmcoleon demon, so I guess they're not all complete dicks. (Actually, I take that back; the yellow rats are complete dicks.)

ANYWAY, this game is fun if a bit difficult in that your character and your demons can be killed so easily. Luckily, the same goes for your enemies so in my opinion that evens out the playing field a little bit.

I like how they give you only 300 macca at the beginning. I thought I'd be able to buy a new sword and armor but nope. Everything cost 2.5 times or more than that pitiful 300 you get. so troll

Lack of macca from battles is kind of annoying. Although there will probably be some kind of easy macca making thing later. Maybe. Like Nocturne and those kalpa tunnels. You know the one.

Fusion doesn't make any sense to me. Are the fusions you can do preset depending on the demons you have because I just don't get it. I miss Nocturne's fusion system and sitting at the TV for an hour rerolling to get the right skill set up for your Daisoujou only to get a fusion accident and then you get a goddamn Slime and cry yourself to sleep.

I need fusion help.

Sounds like a great addition to the series! I'll have to pick it up after I get Project X Zone and Kid Icarus Uprising.

I hope the Charm status is just as helpful here as in SMT1 and 2 :P

Fusion doesn't make any sense to me. Are the fusions you can do preset depending on the demons you have because I just don't get it. I miss Nocturne's fusion system and sitting at the TV for an hour rerolling to get the right skill set up for your Daisoujou only to get a fusion accident and then you get a goddamn Slime and cry yourself to sleep.

I need fusion help.

If you go through the demon search, you can fuse as normal. Just hit Y twice and you can see everything. The three fusions that it shows you at the top of the list are "recommended" and have a selection of skills preset, but you can change those too. Basically, this game shows you results first and then shows you what demons it will take to get that result. You then pick skills to inherit rather than random inheritance, making it a lot easier to fuse exactly what you want.

My copy isn't here yet. This hype would soon kill me before I can set my 3DS on to play it.

I swear, it seems like Europe isn't getting this again.

Both EO IV and Soul Hackers coming in August, I think. Expect SMT IV come near that time frame.

But at least you guys received Bravely Default sooner than US.

If you go through the demon search, you can fuse as normal. Just hit Y twice and you can see everything. The three fusions that it shows you at the top of the list are "recommended" and have a selection of skills preset, but you can change those too. Basically, this game shows you results first and then shows you what demons it will take to get that result. You then pick skills to inherit rather than random inheritance, making it a lot easier to fuse exactly what you want.

That's amazing and thank you. I'll mess around with fusions some more.

That's amazing and thank you. I'll mess around with fusions some more.

They already do this in P4G. Never thought that would carry it over to other titles. Good I guess, saving time from needless chore of pressing button and miss out the amazing combination of skills possible.

To anyone who has played The Answer in Persona 3 FES, how is the difficulty compared to that? SMT4 hasn't arrived in the mail for me yet.

I've yet to play Persona 3 FES, only P3P but I thought it is on the same level of difficulty if not above. You should take it differently though since Persona its just borrowing the demons and some element from SMT thus both game might give you very different experience. Don't worry though since SMT veterans pretty much said that this game literally the best entry title to the core SMT series.

It also might be easier to some extent than P3Fes considering now you can pay off Charon to avoid the Game Over screen and the ability to practically save anywhere.

Edited by Shengar

I've yet to play Persona 3 FES, only P3P but I thought it is on the same level of difficulty if not above. You should take it differently though since Persona its just borrowing the demons and some element from SMT thus both game might give you very different experience. Don't worry though since SMT veterans pretty much said that this game literally the best entry title to the core SMT series.

It also might be easier to some extent than P3Fes considering now you can pay off Charon to avoid the Game Over screen and the ability to practically save anywhere.

The Answer is something else entirely. It's much more difficult than P3P.

If this game is barely harder than normal mode P3P, then I should be fine considering I got through hard mode without too much difficulty.

If this game is barely harder than normal mode P3P, then I should be fine considering I got through hard mode without too much difficulty.

I'll be damned, I just read The Answer part >__>

I don't know for sure, since thing that I know which make The Answer ia hard game is because the lack of demon compendium.

I wouldn't say it is barely harder than P3P. It is clearly above P3P from the first impression so far. Plus, you have to beat the game first to play it on Hard.

This game is much harder than P3P. If you don't have the right team you will get slaughtered fast. Even though you can save anywhere and pay off Charon to continue if you can afford it, I have hit the game over screen many times, and I am still only 8 hours in. However, it's all about having the right team and making it impossible for the boss to exploit your weakness, just like any other SMT game. The consequences just happen to be more extreme.

This game is much harder than P3P. If you don't have the right team you will get slaughtered fast. Even though you can save anywhere and pay off Charon to continue if you can afford it, I have hit the game over screen many times, and I am still only 8 hours in. However, it's all about having the right team and making it impossible for the boss to exploit your weakness, just like any other SMT game. The consequences just happen to be more extreme.

Even so, I doubt it can be much worse than The Answer. It took on average at least 5 tries to beat a boss, and that's with alot of grinding. And if the enemies ambushed you and you don't know their weaknesses..

Well, I'll see soon enough when I get the game.

SMTs on principle are harder than Persona games, if you stuggled in a persona game... Hoo boy, I mean, yeah the Answer was a bit tough, but still... I seen some horror stories of people getting ambushed in SMT 4 and almost always getting slaughtered as a result... I've also seen some people getting punished by the first dungeon... In most people's case, if you're not attuned to SMT, just expect to be visiting Charon, a lot

Edited by Soledai

I died a lot of times to one boss, until I fine tuned my team even more. It was really my fault for not bringing the right team along and forgetting to equip some vital armor to switch my resistances around. Haven't died to any old enemies, but I think things are starting to look up for me as I decimated the last couple of minibosses.

I'm kinda concerned about the stats too.

Not sure what the difference between strength and dexterity. I wanna say that strength deals with blunt/sword attacks and dex deals with gun/pierce attacks. I kinda wanna make the MC a magic nuke just like Serph though. Unless you can get Freikugel. That would be awesome.

I have kept things fairly balanced except with a significant lead in magic and agility. That's how I usually do things, since I always use so much magic. And yeah, strength is for melee weapons and dexterity is for guns.

Edited by Samias

I'm kinda concerned about the stats too.

Not sure what the difference between strength and dexterity. I wanna say that strength deals with blunt/sword attacks and dex deals with gun/pierce attacks. I kinda wanna make the MC a magic nuke just like Serph though. Unless you can get Freikugel. That would be awesome.

I am really confused about the difference between St and Dx... Im pretty sure St affects the normal "Attack" which is really your sword. and Dx affects Gun skills like madness needle. Also can you buy guns in this game or only swords? I havent used gun or magic attacks yet, and left Dx and Mg at 10 a piece. St is 50, Ag is 70, and Lu is 50. Also, is Athame better than Dies Irae? If so Ill probably buy it, theres a sale at my vendor