Best Swordmaster

Ragingrob13

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the best swordsmaster?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutger. I actually like Mia more but Rutger is so good. I haven't played the pre GBA games though.

However, Rutger's support with Clarine is overrated. Her spd and luck are good but unless you wall her off with Dieck, Rutger, and maybe some other unit (probably a cav), exposing her is dumb, making her support bonus mostly a benefit for boss killing than anything else. The Dieck support is fantastic however, no drawbacks. Theres also a ton off opportunties to buy Killing Edges in FE6, making them a staple for him.

I like to support him with Fir and Dieck instead of Clarine, Fir still provides and benefits from crit bonuses just as much as he does. I find a lot of people underrate Fir, mostly because Rutger is really good and Fir comes in later, and her base 5 con kind of blows. But she's easy to train due to how axe heavy Western Isles is, and she can effectively solo the west side of the map she's recruited on. Her bases are better than Rutger's considering she's 3 levels lower, and she'll grow quickly due to low level. Noah is also pretty easy to level up on those chapters as a sword focused cav, and he will be able to make a nice support with Fir there efficiently too.

Rutger is still the better unit but considering how many problems FE6 has with accuracy and 30% crit, more SMs is hardly bad, and I don't really think Hero Crests are in huge demand. I quite heavily disagree with the people that rate Gonzales as a good candidate for a Hero Crest in that game because of his severe accuracy and skill problems, the general issues with axes compounding that. Gonzales feels to me like he NEEDS the Hero Crest to become reliable because of the skill gain on becoming a Berserker, without it he'll miss way too much and be difficult to raise, and he's hard to utilise on the Sacae route. Other units like Fir, Rutger and Dieck are all sound without promotion and will have more chances to grow.

(Also, if you use Fir and Noah, Noah will probably have to wait till 16 to promote since Lance and Alan kick so much ass, but at least he has pretty much no competition for the 3rd Knights Crest, Treck being mediocre and all the Knights being pretty shitty.)

Edited by Irysa

Rutger. I actually like Mia more but Rutger is so good. I haven't played the pre GBA games though.

However, Rutger's support with Clarine is overrated. Her spd and luck are good but unless you wall her off with Dieck, Rutger, and maybe some other unit (probably a cav), exposing her is dumb, making her support bonus mostly a benefit for boss killing than anything else. The Dieck support is fantastic however, no drawbacks. Theres also a ton off opportunties to buy Killing Edges in FE6, making them a staple for him.

I like to support him with Fir and Dieck instead of Clarine, Fir still provides and benefits from crit bonuses just as much as he does. I find a lot of people underrate Fir, mostly because Rutger is really good and Fir comes in later, and her base 5 con kind of blows. But she's easy to train due to how axe heavy Western Isles is, and she can effectively solo the west side of the map she's recruited on. Her bases are better than Rutger's considering she's 3 levels lower, and she'll grow quickly due to low level. Noah is also pretty easy to level up on those chapters as a sword focused cav, and he will be able to make a nice support with Fir there efficiently too.

Rutger is still the better unit but considering how many problems FE6 has with accuracy and 30% crit, more SMs is hardly bad, and I don't really think Hero Crests are in huge demand. I quite heavily disagree with the people that rate Gonzales as a good candidate for a Hero Crest in that game because of his severe accuracy and skill problems, the general issues with axes compounding that. Gonzales feels to me like he NEEDS the Hero Crest to become reliable because of the skill gain on becoming a Berserker, without it he'll miss way too much and be difficult to raise, and he's hard to utilise on the Sacae route. Other units like Fir, Rutger and Dieck are all sound without promotion and will have more chances to grow.

(Also, if you use Fir and Noah, Noah will probably have to wait till 16 to promote since Lance and Alan kick so much ass, but at least he has pretty much no competition for the 3rd Knights Crest, Treck being mediocre and all the Knights being pretty shitty.)

Agred on a lot of Rutger related points. And I, too, fail to see why people think Gonzales is good, tbh, since he has low skil, which is strike one, and he's axe locked, which is strike one million.

At the first Hero Seal, Rutger has Seal competition only with Dieck

I don't know about you, but for me, Dieck is, and has always been a short term early game unit, so even outside the fact that Rutger is needed to kill boss, Rutger is also superior because he is long term for me

The person who have Hero Seal competition with Gonzo, which is acquired at chapter 11(alongside Gonzo) is Dieck and Fir. Fir obviously is still underlevelled while Dieck will promote now

The next Seal is chapter 16, and this one goes to Fir

Regarding Clarine x Rutger, 3 Panel Support Area is WAY more than plenty to apply it for combat. Clarine also has h4x evasion in case she need to get exposed to 1 - 2 combat

As a bonus, Fir x Rutger support rank build up is hilarious

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

At the first Hero Seal, Rutger has Seal competition only with Dieck

I don't know about you, but for me, Dieck is, and has always been a short term early game unit, so even outside the fact that Rutger is needed to kill boss, Rutger is also superior because he is long term for me

The person who have Hero Seal competition with Gonzo, which is acquired at chapter 11(alongside Gonzo) is Dieck and Fir. Fir obviously is still underlevelled while Dieck will promote now

The next Seal is chapter 16, and this one goes to Fir

Regarding Clarine x Rutger, 3 Panel Support Area is WAY more than plenty to apply it for combat. Clarine also has h4x evasion in case she need to get exposed to 1 - 2 combat

As a bonus, Fir x Rutger support rank build up is hilarious

I never saw much use for Gonzales because being axe locked in a game where axes suck gigantic portions of ass just dooms him to mediocrity at best, and because promoting him doesn't really change much of anything; yes, he does get 30 crit, but that only means so much when you're still woefully inaccurate.

Okay, I know you are a reliability nuts, and Gonzo is anything but reliable

Gonzo post promotion have 12/13 SKL and this is doable at chapter 13 - 14

During which 93/5 with Iron Axe

The only character who can top that by a huge Margin is the Sword User

Its quite reliable especially considering how much damage that Gonzo does when he hits stuff

For comparison, my level 16 Alan and level 17 Lance have 99 and 103 with Iron Lance

The only character who has convincing lead with Lance on Gonzo is Marcus, and we all know how fucking ridiculous he is when it come to accuracy

As another side comparison the only character who beats Gonzo in reliability AND have comparable offense with him is Bartre, and Bartre has WTFISTHISSHIT kind of offense

Being axelocked means not contributing anything to fighting Mercs and Heroes, two of the game's hardest enemy types (Swordreavers are that bad in this game).

I agree that Gonzalez's hit issues are somewhat exaggerated, although unlike the cav bros (also quite overrated btw) he can't really fix them by just hitting something with an Iron Sword for like 20%+ extra displayed hit. It's true that between Alan and Gonzo, Gonzo will win in skill when both are at equal levels but I don't know why these two would share the same levels when Alan is mounted and exists for so much longer (in rather tough chapters I must add).

His main issue is if we assume efficiency settings. Comes underlevelled, axelocked and with 5 move, which makes training him really damn hard, and once he promotes you lose the ability to carry him around besides with Shin I think?

Okay, I know you are a reliability nuts, and Gonzo is anything but reliable

Gonzo post promotion have 12/13 SKL and this is doable at chapter 13 - 14

During which 93/5 with Iron Axe

The only character who can top that by a huge Margin is the Sword User

Its quite reliable especially considering how much damage that Gonzo does when he hits stuff

For comparison, my level 16 Alan and level 17 Lance have 99 and 103 with Iron Lance

The only character who has convincing lead with Lance on Gonzo is Marcus, and we all know how fucking ridiculous he is when it come to accuracy

As another side comparison the only character who beats Gonzo in reliability AND have comparable offense with him is Bartre, and Bartre has WTFISTHISSHIT kind of offense

That I am. Also, there's almost no real niche for a Berserker here. All using Gonzales really accomplishes is shooting yourself in the foot, because you might as well be using auto-Gamble; he's that unreliable to begin with. Also, I see giving Gonzales a Hero Crest (yet another issue since he has good competition for those) as a losing trade relative to Dieck, Fir, or especially Rutger.

I consider Stefan from FE9 to be the best SwordMaster. His base stats for STR, SPD, and SKL are good, but his LUCK and DEF leaves something to be desire. Even so he comes with powerful sword, can wreck every enemy in the next 5 chapters, and he can stand his own later in the game when your units starts promoting.

That I am. Also, there's almost no real niche for a Berserker here. All using Gonzales really accomplishes is shooting yourself in the foot, because you might as well be using auto-Gamble; he's that unreliable to begin with. Also, I see giving Gonzales a Hero Crest (yet another issue since he has good competition for those) as a losing trade relative to Dieck, Fir, or especially Rutger.

Damage

And thats it

Im not exactly saying Gonzo is good either >_>

@Esp: Gonzo's huge damage might save turn in case you need to rig a kill I guess?

He can auto promote in Bartre route though, but im pretty sure efficiency runs recruited Echidna

Damage

And thats it

@Esp: Gonzo's huge damage might save turn in case you need to rig a kill I guess?

He can auto promote in Bartre route though, but im pretty sure efficiency runs recruited Echidna

Huge damage means bugger all to me if your accuracy is ass >_<

As to Bartre route, that's true, though the Bartre route chapters are worse than the Echidna route chapters.

Huge damage means bugger all to me if your accuracy is ass >_<

As to Bartre route, that's true, though the Bartre route chapters are worse than the Echidna route chapters.

Never played Echidna route so I dunno(I am in love with Bartre's STR >_>)

But yeah, if you really want a high damage unit, just use Bartre

Never played Echidna route so I dunno(I am in love with Bartre's STR >_>)

But yeah, if you really want a high damage unit, just use Bartre

lolbartre

Saves Hero Crest

48 HP and 11 Defense

22 STR

Derp why not >_>

Hes an amazing short term unit

Two words: GBA. Fighter. Not to mention the tradeoffs associated with him... >_<

Edited by Levant Fortner

Two words: GBA. Fighter. Not to mention the tradeoffs associated with him... >_<

109 Accuracy

Thats Marcus Iron Lance level accuracy, with nearly double the attack power

Echidna is superior but eh >_>

109 Accuracy

Thats Marcus Iron Lance level accuracy, with nearly double the attack power

Echidna is superior but eh >_>

It's not JUST that Echidna's superior; it's that her route is also superior. Not having to deal with two headache chapters > having to deal with two headache chapters.

Rutger promotes (or should do so) way before Gonzalez joins, so Gonzalez is not competing for the Hero Crest with anybody but a pair of Boots.

Damage

And thats it

Rutger does the bosskilling way more reliably and can be carried by Miledy and nearly everyone else that you might want to deploy (so everyone besides like Roy and staffers).

Echidna is probably better than Bartre at offence considering she is more likely to double and can deal with Mercs. Wants a Body Ring and maybe a Dracoshield though.

wrt efficiency, even without Super Thany both Gonzo and Echidna cost at least one turn (more if Thany is promoted and can rig the bosskill). I don't think Gonzo contributes anything directly to LTC assuming his recruitment.

im pretty sure echidna is terrible in efficiency because she costs turns

i prefer bartre regardless, echidna is just another average combat unit, whereas bartre can blick wyverns or mages or something

The hell? FE6 swordmasters are Rutger/Fir/Karel. Who the hell are the rest of these scrubs, and why are in they in this topic?

(in other words, go discuss this in a more appropriate topic)

Back on topic, I can't be the only one who thinks swordmasters haven't recovered from having fallen off a cliff usefulness wise post FE6.

Back on topic, I can't be the only one who thinks swordmasters haven't recovered from having fallen off a cliff usefulness wise post FE6.

thank goodness we aren't in a smash forum otherwise Owain would have 315426 votes for some reason