Nintendo Trademark "Fire Emblem" and "EMBLEM"

arvilino

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/18/nintendo-trademarks-fire-emblem-and-emblem-new-game-incoming/

According to this article, in Japan Intelligent Systems have trademarked both these terms despite previous trademarks not being set to expire any time soon.

There's some speculation that it could possibly be for a new game. Given it's been a bit more than a year since Fire Emblem Awakening and apart from the ATLUS SMT x FE game I don't believe Intelligent Systems have any currently announced games, I wonder if anything will come from this soon such as information in a Nintendo Direct.

Well, with all the DLC released in Japan & the US, I wouldn't be suprised if they have already started making a new game. If they are, it will probably be for the 3DS, as I can't see it being for the WiiU given the sales numbers they said they'd need.

I hope it's a new Fire Emblem game, as that would be amazing. But trademarking the name "EMBLEM" is a tad confusing. Gotta wonder if it's going to be a spinoff of the series, or something new altogether. Who knows, it could be the "brand new IP" that Nintendo mentioned they wanted to try to make recently.

Damn, got ninja'd before I can post this

Strange thing though that they just trademarked "Fire Emblem" without any following sub-titles beside this "Emblem". Some games I know that got "revealed" like this have also their sub-titles being trademarked. So, seriously is the game will some how named Fire Emblem: [insert Phrase or Word Here] Emblem? Because Fire Emblem: Emblem is sound so hilarious

Yeah the "EMBLEM" trademark seems pretty weird. Though(and again this is just speculation from me) it sort of seems similar to The Shining series where they had different names but all of them had Shining in them, so maybe there will be a game/series with a naming scheme EMBLEM:[subtitle].

Or EMBLEM is an acronym and it's some futuristic military squad based FPS game.

It may have something to do with Emblem Saga (TearRing Saga) and its related lawsuit. Likely they're just covering their asses.

Huh, interesting. As much as I'd totally LOVE a Wii U FE, that unfortunately has to wait a bit due to the Wii U's shoddy sales right now. 3DS would be the best way to go right now until the home console can start picking up the slack.

And THEN, IS launch a whopper on the Wii U. :D

Yeah the "EMBLEM" trademark seems pretty weird. Though(and again this is just speculation from me) it sort of seems similar to The Shining series where they had different names but all of them had Shining in them, so maybe there will be a game/series with a naming scheme EMBLEM:[subtitle].

I never see Tales series trademarked their names with the word "Tales" being separately trademarked, so does Ace Combat. Is Awakening have the same treatment too? That EMBLEM:[Title] sounds too weird.

Then the grimdark Ninja Theory reboot of FE7 is right, we are doomed

Well, last time this happened..- (Flashback to a year ago) Hey, they grabbed Fire Emblem Awakening's URL! Maybe we will get a release in the states!-And we did.

So maybe this might mean something! It's not like they trademark stuff for no reason.

Typically Nintendo trademarks don't pop up until after the relevant announcements.

I have a feeling this trademark isn't for anything new; it's probably just for SMT X FE or something.

EDIT

So it's a IS trademark?

Then that's further suggestion that it's for nothing important; these days, all the important trademarks are done by Nintendo.

Edited by VincentASM

It may have something to do with Emblem Saga (TearRing Saga) and its related lawsuit. Likely they're just covering their asses.

This is probably the most convincing theory I have heard so far.

Either it means nothing or it's just for this reason. I don't think it is likely that it is connected to any new game, but hopefully I am wrong.

Edited by Walhart

I'd love it to be VC related. This looks quite confusing, I wouldn't think they'd be working on a new FE that quickly. Then again, it's not like they have any other projects to work on except for FE x SMT.

I wouldn't think they'd be working on a new FE that quickly.

Blazing Sword came out on 04/25/03 after Binding Blade's 03/29/02.

If the next non-crossover FE is a followup to Awakening then it'll reuse Awakening's engine.

It's the name of an organization of powerful-but-uncooperative Feroxi crime-fighters led by Basilio.

Prequel to FE13. Calling it now.

Yeah, I see Awakening's followup being a prequel. At least partly so that who married who can be not confirmed. And how it lets Grima and/or the Grimleal be antagonists again. Or another cult with ties to Grima can be at least some of the antagonists.

How I see it:

Theory 1: [Copyright Issues] If Nintendo / Atlus wanted to trademark Fire Emblem and EMBLEM for cases like Emblem Saga, they would've done it long before now. I feel like this probably isn't the case, but it is possible.

Theory 2: [sMT x FE] I feel like this is probably the most likely case, as SMT x FE was announced recently. (6 months ago, but whatever.) However, the problem is the SMT part of it. I want to say it's for it, but we don't know at this point.

Theory 3: [Awakening 2] A sequel doesn't seem likely because of all the marriages, but a prequel would be interesting to see. However, this makes game number 6 or 7 (depending on if you count SatellaView) of the Archanea Verse if this was the case, making about half the series on one world.

Theory 4: [sacred Stones 2] Possible due to Magvel being the only continent that hasn't had at least two games centered on it yet. While this may be unlikely, it's not like bringing back old continents hasn't been done before.

Theory 5: [Jugdral Remakes] If they continue with revitalizing old continents, Jugdral would be next on the list. I feel like they could still do a lot with the games, and they would be bringing the only JP-exclusive continent worldwide, making all the continents internationally released.

Theory 6: [New Continent] I would be happy with this, however likely it is.

Theory 7: [Just Because] Also possible, but it would make me (and a lot of us) sad that nothing happens because of this.

An Awakening sequel would be much too hard to do without having to make canon pairings. And canon pairings would destroy the whole point of Awakening's marriage system: to give us control over who marries who and let us imagine our own canons.

A prequel to the game is more likely if the next game takes place in Ylisse.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of FE4 make it over here. Sigurd seems cool. :D

Of course, a completely new title is always welcome. ^^