Pair Lissa, Nowi, and Panne.

euklyd

So I've finally decided to request some pairing advice, and as much as I'd like to ask "Ross, the Fire Emblem Expert" for help (I would link to his "guide", but I don't want to drive up his PageRank), I'm not actually interested in gimping all the kids.

Anyways, this is what I've got so far:

wwdeO8yl.jpg

The pairings set in stone are:

Chrom x Olivia

Cherche x Gregor (this is for personal preference much more than optimizing)

I think the way it's gonna go is probably Nowi x Donnel, Lissa x Kellam, and Panne x Fred.

Mostly, I just don't know if Owain would rather have Sol and Armsthrift (for infinite Missiletainns, because swordhand) or Luna.

Virion can continue philandering without incurring the wrath of his wife (although he'll probably incur the wrath of plenty of husbands).

I'm fine with criticism of the other pairings, but I probably won't change anything without a really compelling reason.

If Donnel's not being used for Kjelle or Noire,(even then he's debateable) he should go with Nowi or be left unpaired. If you're optimizing no one else really wants to have Donnel if they can help it, but out of who's left he's probably best for Nowi because of Sol access and Galeforce. The modifiers are actually kind of decent since Donnel helps Nowi's strength and defense even more while he doesn't hurt her stats too much, and Nah gets some extra stuff out of the deal like 4 breakers and good magic options to abuse Tomefaire with if you want to play around a little. If you do end up switching Donnel for Kjelle or Noire, Gaius and Vaike can be shuffled onto Nah for good results as well.

Fred should probably go to Panne as leftovers. Without Gregor or Gaius, he's largely a Dual Guard bot so you can make him a Paladin or something. Some people advise Frederick for Nowi but I can't really recommend it because while she gets Pavise/Aegis, she loses out on a self-heal, which she really wants. He's alright for Owain, but Kellam is pretty similar and has the bonus of not ruining Owain's magic stat.

Is Libra around? I'm not sure because you didn't include him but if he is, he's alright for Owain due to Dark Mage inheritance. Otherwise, Kellam is probably the best choice due to Luna, which Owain would rather have in most situations. If you really want to have Armsthrift on Owain, though, Donnel!Owain and Kellam!Nah are harmless enough.

Otherwise, everything seems to work fine from here. You can switch Stahl and Lon'qu around, since Severa still gets what she wants from Lon'qu with Stahl (Myrmidon for Vantage and Swordfaire) but also Luna as a proc and Paladin as a possible ending class. Brady already has Cavalier so he can get Luna naturally, so it's probably better all-around.

Another alternative might be to shuffle Ricken to Owain and give Kellam to Miriel. Laurent inherits Luna and Dual Guard from both of them, except he gets Pavise instead of Aegis, which might arguably be more useful to him since magic classes have lower defense than Res so he can half damage from most things except bows. He also inherits Priest, which gives him another option to work with as a War Monk since he starts with Axefaire access. Ricken!Owain is basically an upgrade from Kellam!Owain, since he still gets Luna, but he gets more magic to work with and can use Archer well with Galeforce and his natural skillset with things like Lethality, Pass and Counter.

Yeah, Libra is around, I forgot about him (he's stealing Kellam's niche, apparently).

Otherwise, everything seems to work fine from here. You can switch Stahl and Lon'qu around, since Severa still gets what she wants from Lon'qu with Stahl (Myrmidon for Vantage and Swordfaire) but also Luna as a proc and Paladin as a possible ending class. Brady already has Cavalier so he can get Luna naturally, so it's probably better all-around.

Lon'qu and Cordelia are already married, and I happen to prefer that pairing to Cordelia x Stahl for support reasons - Luna is nice, but if I really want to run with Vantage, Vengeance is gonna be very close.

The reason I was going with Ricken!Laurent is that Laurent is largely gonna be a supportbot, so Mag is really the only stat that matters for him.

Perhaps I should go Libra!Laurent and Ricken!Owain...

Ricken!Owain instead of Kellam!Owain seems like it's probably a good idea, as he'll appreciate the extra Spd, and Laurent will only be slightly weaker...

Actually, since I'm planning to be running a Vantage + Celica's Gale + Dual Strikes set-up, Vengeance would probably be better than Luna, wouldn't it?

Can't go wrong with Lissa/Libra, Panne/Kellam and Nowi/Donny.

Owain gets neither Luna nor Sol from Libra, so there's that (although technically I probably shouldn't need it, since I'll be running Vantage with Celica's Gale, so the partner will be doing most of the damage - and if I'm going with Vantage, Vengeance might be a better idea anyways).

So I'm thinking Libra!Owain, Donnel!Nowi, and Fred!Yarne; does that sound good?

EDIT: Actually, I could probably switch around Donnel and Vaike, to give GF to someone who would probably appreciate it more...

Edited by Euklyd

Nowi x Donnel, Lissa x Kellam, and Panne x Fred

Yeah, that's the best if you stick with your other proposed pairings.

If tweaking the other pairings besides the 3 you set in stone is allowed, then I'd recommend:

Henry x Sumia (good mods)

Lon'qu x Maribelle (Vantage, good mods)

Ricken x Lissa (Luna, Owain's magic is 4 higher than his strength by default so better to go magic with him)

Stahl x Cordelia (Luna for damage, Vantage for Sorcerer)

Frederick x Panne (Paladin and Dual Guard+ for physical support, which is what Yarne is stuck as)

Kellam x Miriel (Gives Pavise and decent mods for Nosferatanking)

Then choose one of these 2 paths for the remaining kids:

1. Vaike x Sully, Donnel x Tharja, Gaius x Nah

2. Donnel x Sully, Gaius x Tharja, Vaike x Nah

Personally I prefer #2 but #1 is more popular.

EDIT: Actually, I could probably switch around Donnel and Vaike, to give GF to someone who would probably appreciate it more...

Then choose one of these 2 paths for the remaining kids:

1. Vaike x Sully, Donnel x Tharja, Gaius x Nah

2. Donnel x Sully, Gaius x Tharja, Vaike x Nah

Personally I prefer #2 but #1 is more popular.

Wow, I can't even tell who ninja'd who. :P:

I hope you mean Vaike x Nowi, not Vaike x Nah... :P

Yeah, thinking about it, Kjelle probably wants GF a lot more than Nah does.

Henry x Sumia (good mods)

Lon'qu x Maribelle (Vantage, good mods)

Ricken x Lissa (Luna, Owain's magic is 4 higher than his strength by default so better to go magic with him)

Stahl x Cordelia (Luna for damage, Vantage for Sorcerer)

Frederick x Panne (Paladin and Dual Guard+ for physical support, which is what Yarne is stuck as)

Kellam x Miriel (Gives Pavise and decent mods for Nosferatanking)

All of those pairings have Luna - I assume that's intentional?

Actually, I've been seeing a lot about Luna, and I'm wondering if Vengeance is not superior than Luna, if you're running a Vantage set?

I've been thinking about experimenting with Vantage for a while...

With the current plan, Owain and Noire are certainly gonna be running Vantage with the option for Vengeance, and Brady will have Vantage and Luna. Severa will have the ability to run Vantage + Vengeance, but probably won't, and both of Chrom's kids could run Vantage + Luna.

That's a lot of Vantage.

@Zerker - Donnel!Owain is probably out, since it deprives Nah of Sol and Owain of Luna/Vengeance.

EDIT: Wow, I'm verbose even in my own help topic.

Edited by Euklyd

The reason I was going with Ricken!Laurent is that Laurent is largely gonna be a supportbot, so Mag is really the only stat that matters for him.

Perhaps I should go Libra!Laurent and Ricken!Owain...

Ricken!Owain instead of Kellam!Owain seems like it's probably a good idea, as he'll appreciate the extra Spd, and Laurent will only be slightly weaker...

Actually, since I'm planning to be running a Vantage + Celica's Gale + Dual Strikes set-up, Vengeance would probably be better than Luna, wouldn't it?

Owain gets neither Luna nor Sol from Libra, so there's that (although technically I probably shouldn't need it, since I'll be running Vantage with Celica's Gale, so the partner will be doing most of the damage - and if I'm going with Vantage, Vengeance might be a better idea anyways).

Well, if you're doing that, I'd agree with what you're saying about giving Libra to Owain instead. The main reason why I'd say that Ricken!Laurent works so well as support isn't just for the magic, but also for Great Knight with stuff like Dual Guard. Kellam lets him do that too with a slightly lower magic mod, but with the other options. He even gets Thief to run stuff like Movement+1 to make up for the lack of Deliverer, and can run a pseudo Pavise/Aegis with Resistance+10.

Libra!Laurent isn't that great. Priest isn't good for him on its own since he already gets Sage. He lacks Vantage and/or Armsthrift so he can't do Sorcerer that well, and he lacks Dual Guard/movement skills so he can't do support that well either. Given the choice, though, I'd say that the combo of Libra!Owain and Ricken!Laurent would be more ideal than Ricken!Owain and Libra!Laurent if Kellam's totally out of the picture. I'd personally do Kellam!Laurent and Ricken!Owain, but your setup is good as well.

Yeah, thinking about it, Kjelle probably wants GF a lot more than Nah does.

Actually, I've been seeing a lot about Luna, and I'm wondering if Vengeance is not superior than Luna, if you're running a Vantage set?

I've been thinking about experimenting with Vantage for a while...

With the current plan, Owain and Noire are certainly gonna be running Vantage with the option for Vengeance, and Brady will have Vantage and Luna. Severa will have the ability to run Vantage + Vengeance, but probably won't, and both of Chrom's kids could run Vantage + Luna.

That's a lot of Vantage.

@Zerker - Donnel!Owain is probably out, since it deprives Nah of Sol and Owain of Luna/Vengeance.

EDIT: Wow, I'm verbose even in my own help topic.

Between Kjelle and Nah, I'd say that Kjelle uses it better due to a natural Luna, which syncs pretty well with Galeforce. (Grab a kill with Luna, move again, grab another kill or retreat/use a staff/reposition/whatever) Some people argue to give her Gaius instead if you want to get Galeforce on her, but I think it's kind of a waste since Kjelle doesn't get much else from him except Sol and loses out on Armsthrift. (Myrm overlaps and Thief is outclassed by Myrm. Noire and Nah arguably use him better, and even aside from them Laurent and Yarne like him for Vantage/Sol.)

As for Luna vs. Vengeance, I'd say that Luna is the superior skill since you can match a lot of the damage you get from Vengeance without running the risk of going around at low health. At its core, it's basically free damage at any stage. Works alright with Vantage if you're up against high defense foes, since Luna halves it, but if you're serious about abusing Vantage, Vengeance users can probably get away without Luna.

Edited by HeoandReo

IMO Luna is more reliable and gets the job done just fine. The other perk to having Luna is that it means you also have Dual Guard+, one of Pavise/Aegis, and possibly Paladin, which are all great. Almost all of the kids that don't already have Cavalier/Knight wants one of the Great Knight dads or Gregor.