Anyone noticed the unbalanced stat Caps

Emperor Hardin

One of the best comparison is Paladin compared to General. Paladins have the same defense as Generals(though its harder to reach for most units) in addition to superior all around and higher movement. The only caps General has above Paladin is STR by 2 and Luck by 5, everything is either equal or much lower then Paladins.

A similar comparison is Horseman vs Swordmasters, where the only stat Swordmaster has an advantage is skill by 1 point. Every other Horseman Cap is equal or Superior to the SwordMasters.

I still love the DS games, but I wonder whats up with those stat caps? Perhaps Swordmaster and General were really just intended for quick utility rather then final classes.

Do caps really even matter that much in most of the modes? But yeah, there are some issues in class balance in these games, as in most FEs.

As for the paladins, I'm convinced that was a mixed up number that got missed in testing. Every promoted other class, save berserkers for some odd reason, has a 30 luck cap, and 25 def seems a lot more in line with the norm.

Do caps really even matter that much in most of the modes? But yeah, there are some issues in class balance in these games, as in most FEs.

As for the paladins, I'm convinced that was a mixed up number that got missed in testing. Every promoted other class, save berserkers for some odd reason, has a 30 luck cap, and 25 def seems a lot more in line with the norm.

On Lunatic mode in New Mystery it matters a lot actually.

Thats interesting but its also notable that Dracoknights have 30 defense as well, so I'm not sure that Paladins having Max Def is an error.

No cavalier reaches 30 Def on average. They reach ~23 Def at 20/20. The horsemaster is way slower than the swordmaster too. The latter has 5 more base spd. Some of the higher caps are practically less usefull as base stats and average stats still matter. You won´t have a 30 Def Paladin/Draco-Knight, except if you are rng-blessed or using like three draco-shields. And units like Luke can easily reach the 30 AS of the swordmaster, but need more levels for the 30 AS bowknight.

Stat boosters/RNG rigging exist (as does resetting in the base arena in FE12), so it's possible to hit the caps. Whether or not this was intended is another matter entirely.

My guess was that the caps exist in order to allow maxed Paladins to survive four hits of a forged Brave Bow.

They probably figured that trying to balance Generals for mutliplayer was a lost cause anyway.

Edited by BrightBow

On Lunatic mode in New Mystery it matters a lot actually.

That's what I meant by most modes <_<

Thats interesting but its also notable that Dracoknights have 30 defense as well, so I'm not sure that Paladins having Max Def is an error.

The thing is, dracoknights usually have high defense while paladins usually have middling defense. In 6 dracos had 30 for male and 29 for female while paladins had 25, for example.

Edited by bottlegnomes

One of the best comparison is Paladin compared to General. Paladins have the same defense as Generals(though its harder to reach for most units) in addition to superior all around and higher movement. The only caps General has above Paladin is STR by 2 and Luck by 5, everything is either equal or much lower then Paladins.

A similar comparison is Horseman vs Swordmasters, where the only stat Swordmaster has an advantage is skill by 1 point. Every other Horseman Cap is equal or Superior to the SwordMasters.

I still love the DS games, but I wonder whats up with those stat caps? Perhaps Swordmaster and General were really just intended for quick utility rather then final classes.

but swordmasters are actually useful for their sword rank (unlike generals, where both paladins and generals have D rank lances at base)

• 3 weeks later...

As for online play (from FE11 perspective), there are barely any upsides to using Generals apart from the Fleet Feet card. They are.. Acceptable in non-RNG teams due to Paladins having much lower def growths, but Paladins usually outshine them anyway. Dracoknights have a lower speed cap than Paladins, so they are usually avoided. However, there is a great advantage in using Swordmen over Horsemen - the latter gets hit hard by Berserkers wielding forged pole axes. While Paladins and even Dracoknights usually outstat Generals overall, the difference between Swordsmen and Horsemen is not very large, and in my opinion either can be used effectively. Of course, in normal play, the speed bonus and bows make a huge difference in Horsemens' favour.