gamebreaking Merlinus promotion bug in FE7 hack

bast999

Okay, so I'm doing a custom made, slightly edited, nooby hack that revolves around OP weapons, and I edit the rom as I go along doing an LP with my friend, in case anything bad happens, like Nino dying on turn one because all anima magic goes from range 1-10 (which I solved by editing her base res for only that chapter, thereafter her base res was edited back to normal).

I'm at chapter 29 right now, and Merlinus promotes at level 19. Not sure if this is a forced promotion or not, but when he promotes, he gains his lack of promotion bonuses as usual, but instead of the game fading to black and going back to the base options, it just lets Merlinus disappear and it hangs there on the promotion screen for an eternity (it locks up).

Is there any way to make it so that Merlinus does not promote? I know it's an event, but I'm not sure if it's a base event, a chapter story event, a "chapter already started" event or whatever. Also, what software would I need for that, since I know nightmare doesn't go as far as event editing, and I tried using it to change Merlinus' class but that didn't work.

So I managed to just grab a backup .GBA file that has a few newer edits missing, then loaded the game again using the same save file, Merlinus promoted with no problems, saved, swaped the .GBA files again, and now I have adverted the Merlinus promotion glitch while still using the fully updated file.

Though what I asked is still a good question: Can you edit the forced Merlinus promotion? Which one of the events is it?

I'm not 100% on this as I'm no hacker. However, removing his promotion from the promotion choices could do it. Also, you could set a custom promotion that loops back around to the original class, though that could be buggy.

Why you would ever want Merlinus to be a tent and not a transporter though is beyond me.

It's in every chapter, the macro is known as "LevelMerlinus" although what the raw code is for you to find is beyond me atm...

ah there it is, ASMC 0x79B5D, look for that in the chapters, that is the thing that lets him level up. If you were to remove it he would stop leveling up and stop promoting(which would be terrible, but solves your problem).

Why not just pull an FE6 and have him start off as a transporter?

Alternatively, set the map sprite for the transporter to the same one as the tent, and make the transporter have 0 movement. Also give it the same name as the Tent. Nothing lost.

I don't think that would work.

Alternatively, set the map sprite for the transporter to the same one as the tent, and make the transporter have 0 movement. Also give it the same name as the Tent. Nothing lost.

that won't work because it's the promotion routine that's borking