Valkyria Chronicles 1 (PS3)

fatgamecat

Valkyria Chronicles is a hybrid cross between third person shooter and turn based tactics game. It's pretty fun and unique, worth playing through.

I suspect people here have played it but it looks like the only threads about the first PS3 game were back in 2008-2009.

It's imbalanced in favor of orders and scout rushing, but the combat engine has some interesting depth and level design that makes challenge runs worth the effort imo. Also the ex-hard and edy's squad challenge maps don't allow you to use orders and usually no tank either, so they're overall more balanced than the main campaign.

I've been doing a 'no damage taken, no upgrade, all kills, no orders' challenge run you guys might want to check out. Playlist is right here.

I'd recommend this game to any of the FE players here who haven't already.

...and even if they don't have a PS3, I'd recommend VC2 for the PSP... even if it's... a little lesser of quality.

VC3 brought it back with improvement, but that's Japanese only until the translation patch is released (for people concerned with language barriers).

Though, as you said, orders and scouts are OP in the first game. Also, there are savestates in the PS3 version. ABUSE THE HELL OUT OF THAT if you just want to enjoy the ride of the story and gameplay second.

Having played both VC2 and 3 I have to agree that VC3 is superior is all aspects (other than waiting for a translation patch and lacking multiplayer) to VC2.

If you don't mind playing in japanese instead, go for VC3.

I rather liked VC2, besides the corny characters and story, and I was really looking forward to playing VC3.

At least I still have the first one to play, whenever I get around to purchasing a PS3.

I have more hours logged on my VC2 save than any other single save file on any of my games, although I'm sure I've spent more time on other games. The games are great, even if VC2's high school thing is not exactly my cup of tea. Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 for VC1 or enough Japanese to get through VC3 really understanding the game, but I have played VC1 and it was fantastic. The whole "Now you're invincible Alicia CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE" thing did get kind of old, but IIRC the story in the first one was good (including a certain spoiler event which had me seriously upset, and video games don't do that often.)

Edited by Rewjeo

I love the first VC, and I think that while the other 2 are on the PSP, they have added some real needed improvements to the game (with VC3 having a much more balanced roster versus VC1 and 2). Even though it was met with disappointing sales, I hope Sega will give this series another shot, either on Vita or the PS4.

If you intend to play Valkyria Chronicles 2, try to get the undubbed version.

that game is MUCH more enjoyable without Avan's grating, eardrum-torturing laugh.

When I first picked up Valkyria Chronicles, I went into it with low expectations. I was bored, so I looked up RPG's for PS3 on google and this was one of the games I found. It had a really good score and looked pretty fun. A couple days later, my cousin and I went to gamestop to find white knight chronicles for him and I found Valkyria Chronicles for only $15. I thought why not, so I picked it up. Im glad I did because this game is a somewhat hidden gem. The gameplay is very addictive and fun. If you are a fan of Fire Emblems type of gameplay, you will feel right at home with this game. Add in a spectacular war story and a very likable cast of characters and you have this game. I never had a PSP, so I never did get chance to play VC2. Its so sad that there hasn't been much going on for this series. At its current state, its a browser game as far as I know and not really in the making for an actual 4th game. I hope that one day, Sega decides to bring it back.

Edited by PrinceLeaf

I've only played the first 2 or 3 missions of VC3, kind of waiting for the translation patch. I like the PSP VCs but not enough to plow through it in Japanese.

I played through most of VC2's 300+ missions. Pretty good overall, although I think most people wish it were on PS3 at least.

Yeah scout rushing can get boring quick. You have to set up challenge runs to get the most out of the depth in VC1. I think challenge runs are worth it as the unique combat mechanics typically can't be found in any other game (even VC2 or 3).

I've been playing through VC's Hard EX maps on my challenge run and they are pretty unforgiving. Finished the first 3 so far and these are just warmups for Marberry Shore, Upper Fouzen, and East Vasel. Hard EX 1, Hard EX 2, Hard EX 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this thread! (I'm not necroposting yet, am I? I think it's still safe...)

If you haven't played Valkyria Chronicles yet, and you own a PS3 then please go and get it. It's such a good game. The battle system's really fun-- one of the most interesting takes I've seen on the strategy RPG formula. Plus it has a really neat art style! It emulates the look of pencils and watercolor. The character designs are also great. They all look diverse and I think it does a great job of conveying the respective personalities of the characters c:

I don't have a PSP though, so I haven't been able to play VC2 and VC3 but I'm kind of considering buying them regardless. I really want to support the series, even if they did choose to release the games for the PSP haha;;

I'm secretly hoping that the series isn't dead yet. Maybe if SEGA's financial troubles stop, they'll revive the series and release it for a home console this time orz

I'm secretly hoping that the series isn't dead yet. Maybe if SEGA's financial troubles stop, they'll revive the series and release it for a home console this time orz

Maybe if they make money off Atlus there might be hope for Valkyria Chronicles continuing... and hopefully overseas as well. >_>;

• 2 weeks later...

As promised I fixed the video issues from the last couple vids. Here's Selvaria DLC 1 on Youtube or Nicovideo

I finished Hard EX 7-9 and Edy's Squad Challenge but didn't record video of them. Playthrough log here and FAQ here.

Yes VC is easily the best strategy game on PS3/360 and I partially did this walkthrough as a homage to it as we move into next gen. We probably won't see another game like VC on PS4, so I'm enjoying what we have by giving it a good playthrough.

I'll play VC3 whenever the English translation is available.

Edited by mjemirzian