Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (U)

Arch

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Actually, what was the point of Intelligent Systems putting it in in the first place? Turning the GBA off had the same effect of saving your in-chapter progress, and no matter what method you took to reach the menu, jumping into another file or restarting the chapter would erase the progress anyway. So yeah, it has nostalgia value, but little other use except possibly holding the game together.

It's simply good UI design to have redundant commands. One of them is convenient and easy to access once you know where it is (restarting), the other is located in the first menu where the confused user will look into (the Suspend in the Map Menu).

You don't need the second one, but when you're young or just started the series, you always want to make sure you aren't going to lose your progress, as most games don't auto-save when you turn the GBA off. The Suspend gives a place for these uncertain players to go to, until they get familiarized with the auto-suspend thing. Heck, it even has the "Are you sure you want to suspend?" message, which is silly, but hints at a saving process and assures the player that, yes, his data is properly secured.

Edited by Miacis

Though just having a "This game autosaves every single time you take an action, so your data is constantly being saved" message at the start of the game would suffice.

Bad design choice. It's just completely unnecessary information for the consumer.

And yet the game literally wastes the player's time with a pointless "set your name" screen which allows a barely cursory "story addition"? I'd rather have a 5 second message that tells me my game is constantly being autosaved than have the whole "Lol you're a 'tactician' in an army who does nothing except kind of sort of exist and follow everyone's actions creepily" thing going on.

And yet the game literally wastes the player's time with a pointless "set your name" screen which allows a barely cursory "story addition"? I'd rather have a 5 second message that tells me my game is constantly being autosaved than have the whole "Lol you're a 'tactician' in an army who does nothing except kind of sort of exist and follow everyone's actions creepily" thing going on.

Why not both!

Though just having a "This game autosaves every single time you take an action, so your data is constantly being saved" message at the start of the game would suffice.

Which is going to be properly forgotten right afterwards by any newcomer to the series, because, once again, powering off the console to save is counter-intuitive by nature. :P: Even back in the day when I read about the auto-save in the FE7 User Manual (and remembered reading it), I would still go and use the Suspend function for most of my first playthrough. Because, you know... "just in case".

Plus, it's not like it took them much of their production time to add the Suspend command. The function was already there. They just had to add a big fat button for the unsure player.

I don’t think it has been mentioned in this thread yet, so I would like to say something about a particular character that needs a little love.

kvj7.jpg

This guy!

Merlinus, the convoy of this game is a unit that hardly sees any use past the first few chapters. Already from the start, he’s a unit that pretty much gets one-shotted by everything. FE7 did Merlinus a lot better with the tent, but I don’t expect you to go that far. I’ll just list his issues and possible ideas to make him more viable.

1: His growths are actually not that bad, the problem is leveling him up; he has to dodge 100 times to get a single level (I actually did this once just for the lulz). This apparently needs fixing, either through giving him more experience per dodge (like 10 or 15), or simply giving him a level up for every mission you bring him for. I also think he just get a "slight" increase to his base stats, just a little bit more Hp and defense.

2: He takes up a unit slot, which is very unfortunate. If you could somehow make it possible to bring him without sacrificing a spot, that’d be awesome.

3: There’s really no point in bringing him unless you need to get supplies on the battlefield, as items can be sent to Merlinus regardless of him being present or not. I think having him on the battlefield should be a requirement to send him items.

4: Not sure if you can give him some supports, but that would really be awesome. Just a few, maybe just one with Roy and Marcus, you could have them talk about the good old days based on the events from FE7, and he can tell Roy about his adventures with Eliwood!

Edited by Mangs

And again everyone fails to realize that FE6 does not have the support for any of this.

Well.

This apparently needs fixing, either through giving him more experience per dodge (like 10 or 15),
4: Not sure if you can give him some supports, but that would really be awesome. Just a few, maybe just one with Roy and Marcus, you could have them talk about the good old days based on the events from FE7, and he can tell Roy about his adventures with Eliwood!

Pretty sure both of these are doable either via setting his class relative power to the lowest possible, or by ASMing the Convoy skill to not nerf exp gain to ridiculously bad levels. I experienced that nerf in my Roy mode run and it was annoying, so I'm pretty sure that's the main reason he gains so little exp.

And again everyone fails to realize that FE6 does not have the support for any of this.

Sigh.

Well excuse me for doing what the thread asked me to. Why don’t you come up with some more clever ideas yourself instead of just ranting on the ideas of others and telling them how it can’t be done?

I don’t hack games, I have no idea what the creator is capable of. I am simply coming up with ideas and presenting them in this thread so he can draw inspiration from them.

Well.

Pretty sure both of these are doable either via setting his class relative power to the lowest possible, or by ASMing the Convoy skill to not nerf exp gain to ridiculously bad levels. I experienced that nerf in my Roy mode run and it was annoying, so I'm pretty sure that's the main reason he gains so little exp.

I'm fairly certain that you get 1 exp per round you do no damage regardless of the class power(ross/amelia/ewan are all 1 power).

Well excuse me for doing what the thread asked me to. Why don’t you come up with some more clever ideas yourself instead of just ranting on the ideas of others and telling them how it can’t be done?

I don’t hack games, I have no idea what the creator is capable of. I am simply coming up with ideas and presenting them in this thread so he can draw inspiration from them.

I don't have time for you, lol.

Possibly the most feasible options to make him more usable would be to increase his base stats a bit and give him godly growths to reward players for having him dodge 100 times. Godly as in 200+% in everything. Sure, to get him to level 20 would require dodging 1900 times, but if you do he'll be an unhittable, unkillable tank!

Edited by gringe

personally i dont believe anything can be done to merlinus to make him more usable since he really wasnt meant to be "used" in the first place. making his growths incredible doesnt really solve anything because i highly doubt people are going to wait 100 turns to see it. maybe you could just increase his movement to match that of a regular horseback movement. iirc he doesnt have that much mov (i could be wrong, if so disregard). with this he should be able to outrun footsoldiers(mercs, fighters), the enemies of the first few chapters. horseback units and ballista/boltings against merlinus shouldnt be a problem because no one is going to field him in the latter chapters where these units are in abundance.

Edited by Bacteriophage

Possibly the most feasible options to make him more usable would be to increase his base stats a bit and give him godly growths to reward players for having him dodge 100 times. Godly as in 200+% in everything. Sure, to get him to level 20 would require dodging 1900 times, but if you do he'll be an unhittable, unkillable tank!

Even if you gave him 255 in all growths nobody is going to use him except as renewable death fodder. He serves no other purpose unless Arch makes him required to be fielded in order to hold onto extra items, and nobody in the right mind would spend that many turns leveling him unless they're arena-abusing on the side. The only way people are going to use him for anything else is if he's needed to pick up excess items and he levels like an FE1 cleric. As it is you could clear any of the early maps four times over in the time it takes to get him one level, and beyond those he gets one-rounded or one-shotted by everything.

It'd definitely be worthwhile looking into improvements for Merlinus. FE7 handles his levelup through an ASM routine. It might be possible to import something similar for FE6. It might be possible to levelup Merlinus each time he's fielded, somewhat like FE7. Having him not take up a unit slot? That's quite a bit more difficult to copy (at least, in my head it is, but I'm just thinking through that idea just with common sense, not actual ASM experience).

Even if it just leveled him up at the start of each chapter you field him in (since his death is permanent in FE6, this might be a better way to go than strictly copying FE7's "if he survived the last chapter" method), it'd be a major improvement, and would at least give players a reason to use that unit slot on him. Supports are a definite "yes," and I'll look into some stat improvements as well (if necessary).

it would probably be trivial for a pro (e.g. camtech though he'll say he's not) to replicate the FE7 mechanism where there are set co-ordinates for Merlinus and a dialog box to allow him to be fielded or not. You could make the same routine level him up right at the beginning as well, though it might take like, hard-coded growths for the actual stats (unless someone's witty enough to branch to the leveling routine, I know I'm not).

As for making his death not permanent, you could just attach something to his death quote to make it not permanent. If you like it permanent, I guess that's fine, you could also make him get like 10 + (MerlinusLevel - EnemyLevel)*-1 (but never negative) or some other better thought out EXP formula from a battle, that would take a hardcoded exception in the experience routine though

And the suspend feature is pretty much the main save feature of the game when you think about it, the only other time you save is at the start of a new game or in between chapters, but it's not practical for people to just turn off their GBA and not worry about whether or not the game was saved lol, they'd get laughed at for not having a mid-game "quicksave"/suspend/whatever feature. Granted things are different now with emulators and savestates being the common choice for... probably 99% of people (unless you're old school and use a GBA flashcart or something), but it still seems silly to remove it. *shrug*

It might be possible to levelup Merlinus each time he's fielded, somewhat like FE7.

If there's an event that autolevels up a unit, you could just set it to level him every chapter. There'd be conditions, sure, but pretty sure the EA could do that much.

To be fair, he IS one of like, 4 characters that return from FE7, and his years as a pimpmaster convoy would have surely let him become more experienced at dodging stuff. Dunno about capped stats, but nice high stats would make him usable. At least then he can distract enemies.