This might sound insane but I kinda hate the new fans....

As many other have said in one form on another: hating on the new fans because they have only just hopped aboard the fire emblem fan wagon is an odd thing to do. For any existing fan of a series (which was very nearly ended with Awakening) i would have assumed the default position would be to welcome new fans with open arms. Sure, new people might have ideas that the grizzled veterans might not agree with, but everyone was new to fire emblem once. Also each of us will have had a "come to Jesus" moment with Fire Emblem ("Come to Emblem" moment :Rei:?), you know that moment in a FE game, probably the first one you played, where you stopped just liking the game and instead became invested in it emotionally or intellectually. That moment can only happen once for most people and its hard for a new entry in the series to beat a moment that stands out as perfect in the players memory. Many of the new people here will have had that perfect moment with Awakening, no matter how much you extol the virtues of a different entry in the series to them, their "Come to Emblem" moment will likely never be topped.

I will say that i found the FE community relatively cold and unfriendly prior to Awakening's announcement. You are either in the clique or your not, and a community is better imo when its too big for a clique exist.

Edited by Merric

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate the new fans. I hate the waifu/husbando drama that came with Awakening. I hate it when people take their fictional spouse too seriously and try to argue that "X/Y is canon" or "X/Y is better than X/Z because Z is unworthy of X's love" or some stupid thing like that. That kind of attitude comes with both old and new fans.

Where is this Owain/Tharja love?

The GameFAQs Awakening board is a giant shrine of Owain worshiping (also some Tharja love, but there's a lot of hate towards her too so it kinda balances out), don't know about others though. It's also where some of the "FE7 hate" comes from, mainly as a reaction to some users (aka. 1-3 really active ones) constantly spewing basically "Awakening blows, it's not even a strategy game and everything after Blazing Sword is not a true Fire Emblem game".

Edited by Jackos

I joined the fandom after playing FE8 on the 3DS through the Ambassador program and I loved it, a year later I bought FE13 and now I'm working through FE6. FE13 is currently my favorite in the series, but I can't wait to try out FE4 because it seems really fun. I remember when I first played FE8 I was like, "Woah, this game's really fun, I have no idea why it's not very hyped." Then, when FE13 comes out, I see all these people who suddenly like the series, I even see people who don't even play Nintendo games say that they're trying out FE13. I think that's great, it means that more people are taking notice of this beautiful franchise.

I'll be honest, if there was a type of fan I disliked, it would be the fans who only play SSB, have NEVER played an FE game, and obsess over Marth and Ike. Sure, it's rude to say they aren't fans, since they still like the series, but I find them bothersome.

Edited by Witeldram

I love the new fans and I love how their fandom has revived the series. I think any of their new ways of fandom (talking about waifus, idolization of characters, which game is best) as a result from them probably already existed, they were just quieter. It's a better game has fans that are really into every aspect of the game than little to no fans at all.
Awakening isn't necessarily my favorite yet, as Radiant Dawn's scope was great. But it's definitely the one I have logged the most hours in. And I think that's why fans get really into the game.

Today's new fans are tomorrow's jaded veterans.

When Fire Emblem: Rebirth comes out for the 4DS, Awakening fans will be complaining about how they removed the pair up mechanic for the retreat mechanic, and how it breaks the game.

The GameFAQs Awakening board is a giant shrine of Owain worshiping (also some Tharja love, but there's a lot of hate towards her too so it kinda balances out), don't know about others though. It's also where some of the "FE7 hate" comes from, mainly as a reaction to some users (aka. 1-3 really active ones) constantly spewing basically "Awakening blows, it's not even a strategy game and everything after Blazing Sword is not a true Fire Emblem game".

Gross. GameFAQs. Those boards are just ewwie.

When Fire Emblem: Rebirth comes out for the 4DS, Awakening fans will be complaining about how they removed the pair up mechanic for the retreat mechanic, and how it breaks the game.

That's because retreat is a idiotic mechanic I mean what's the point when I can just have a character retreat off the map the moment they get into danger. FER just dumbed down the series to the point were anime mongoloids can play a fantasy dating sim without having a single tactical thought in their otaku brains.

I've literally never heard a single good thing about those boards why do people go there.

Also'I don't think I've heard anything said about Tharja on these forums so I was wondering were the hype for her was coming from. It seems like it's popular opinion she's overrated but no one talks about her.

That's because retreat is a idiotic mechanic I mean what's the point when I can just have a character retreat off the map the moment they get into danger. FER just dumbed down the series to the point were anime mongoloids can play a fantasy dating sim without having a single tactical thought in their otaku brains.

I've literally never heard a single good thing about those boards why do people go there.

Also'I don't think I've heard anything said about Tharja on these forums so I was wondering were the hype for her was coming from. It seems like it's popular opinion she's overrated but no one talks about her.

THE BOARDS ARE SO ADDICTING DON'T JUDGE ME D:....

Honestly, not even I know why I go there, but it was more active than this board one time.

THE BOARDS ARE SO ADDICTING DON'T JUDGE ME D:....

Lurking the board can be hilarious at times. I mean it's like lurking /fit/ or /b/ or another similarly retarded board on 4chan.

Like they said, it's for entertainment value and/or killing time.

Internet anonymity is amazing on those imageboards as well, for starting posting storms from the crazed fanboys/fangirls.

I'm also apparently hated by at least two of the most notorious posters in the Awakening board on GameFAQs... and I've posted there like... once, in the past 5 years.

I don't hate the new fans. I hate the waifu/husbando drama that came with Awakening. I hate it when people take their fictional spouse too seriously and try to argue that "X/Y is canon" or "X/Y is better than X/Z because Z is unworthy of X's love" or some stupid thing like that. That kind of attitude comes with both old and new fans.

Welcome to my motivation to killing every female character in the Awakening cast.

...also, I think TheEnd was saying before that the FE4 and FE5 shipping wars back in the day were pretty bad too.

...I just think it's even worse this time around because there's a self-insert character option in the game.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Fun Facts:

I was the person who started the FE7 obsessed train

COME AT ME BRO

Also for the most part, GFAQS FE boards really is not THAT bad

The less said about SazukeEX sumia post, the better

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

I tend to think that if you play a series long enough you eventually either completely drop it or find new ways to make it interesting. For people who have been into Fire Emblem for many years will likely join the bandwagon of efficiency, low turn count, personal challenges, etc. modes of play. I clearly remember it turning out that way for me.

Starting with FE7 I really never cared for doing things quick and spent dozens and dozens of turns to get supports or arena in some areas. Eventually, it got boring to do that and with game familiarity it was much easier to attempt low turn attempts and more player challenges. Another trait of newer people to the series I notice is the aversion to high difficulty modes. In time, I grew to really like having those difficulties there.

Edited by Vorena

I'm of a mixed bag with the new fans, just like how they themselves are a mix of good and bad. At least Fire Emblem hasn't gotten to the point where the Tales fanbase is (at least...I HOPE it isn't). Seriously, I've seen comments about the HD re-release of the Tales of Symphonia duology stating that even though it's getting localized and getting dual audio (a CONSTANT demand, mind you), some people are saying they're still buying just the imported Japanese version.

...What.

Is FE:A my favorite in the series? I really want to play the other games before I can truly, honestly claim my favorite. I DID have the GBA games at one point, but they mysteriously disappeared a few years ago (along with quite a few others right around the time my sister moved out...Hmmmm...) before I could finish them. Right now, though, yes, Awakening is my favorite. Tied with Path of Radiance, and with Radiant Dawn as a close second. I REALLY want to try the Jugdral saga (what with the DLC content, and that Paralogue 2 easter egg...sweet genius the original map is huge), but I keep hearing things about the available patches being very buggy or whatever. Of course, I might not be remembering that correctly. There are also plans to track down Shadow Dragon and give Heroes of Light and Shadow a shot in the future.

But while all that is waiting in the wings, I can honestly say that Awakening should keep me occupied in the meantime.

Seriously, I've seen comments about the HD re-release of the Tales of Symphonia duology stating that even though it's getting localized and getting dual audio (a CONSTANT demand, mind you), some people are saying they're still buying just the imported Japanese version.

Elitism at its best.

Elitism at its best.

At its best and facepalm-iest.

But I honestly like Awakening because of its gameplay (but yes, I admit that more objectives would have been nice), the sheer amount of content and customization, and most especially its Supports and how the characters grow on you. I mean, sure, some of the Support conversations can be oh-so wacky and madcap (Panne transforming to help Frederick conquer his fear of killer beasts comes to mind at the moment), but then you get moments like Lucina's sibling outright refusing to wield the Falchion because he/she would likely inherit it from Lucina just like how she inherited it...and, well, if you've seen that conversation, you know what I mean. I won't spoil any more than that.

I'm a huge sucker for character development and interaction, and that's a big drawing point with this game for me. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned like that, because I'm sure a fair number of the new fans don't have the game for that reason. Or the old fans, for that matter. Oh well, to each his own.

Edited by DrPikachu

I will say that i found the FE community relatively cold and unfriendly prior to Awakening's announcement. You are either in the clique or your not, and a community is better imo when its too big for a clique exist.

It's certainly too big to be one clique now, but then you'll inevitably have several different ones...Well, as long as one can comfortably drift through all the different cliques at will, it's all right, right?