Hello! This here is a thread I started to discuss and help refine ideas I had for an FE game. So, why don't I start out?

My plot frame: You have a Mercenary band, whom are hired by a kingdom (Lanex) to help them avoid being conquered by a neighboring kingdom (Akur) who is currently kicking their ass. Events ensue and we see that the king of the Akur (Albin) has a talented warrior and tactician (Cyth) leading his army, whom also seems to be very secluded. The player army eventually leads a counter offensive against Akur after being typical FE protagonists and kicking everyone into ash. In one timeline (ah la Awakening), the army goes in and defeats Albin, but Cyth starts a trap, incapacitating the mercenary force and allowing him to take control of Akur and lead a yet more successful military campaign, taking over the continents and (when they attack him once again) killing the original generation. This leaves the second generation alone in a desolate future, where the children, resorting to underground tactics, can barely put up a fight and are soon defeated by Cyth who, testing the power of a new incarnation of the Fire Emblem (Dark Emblem, a treasure hidden within the castle of Akur from a war many centuries ago), fucks up time itself and sends the children and a bunch of other things back to the past, just after the start of the original quest. The break in time causes a similar reaction to occur with the Dark Emblem in the past, and now a whole new chain of events have been set into action to motivate the rest of the game.

Well, that was the basic outline of the plot. Of course, it's devoid of a ton of details, backstory, and the extensive character list I created (as well all the gameplay ideas I had), but I thought it was a good way to break the ice. So please, tell me what you think of this and any future updates I may have. All constructive criticism in great appreciated!

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Seems like it's just a fusion of FE9 and FE13.

^this

Is that... a good thing or a bad thing?

A Tellius game with FE13 mechanics (minus Pair Up) would be pretty awesome. And it's not like half of the FE games don't rip each other off plotwise anyway.

There's a difference between using small plot points and then completely fusing two of big, big plot points into a sort of half-assed story.

Ehhh... fair enough. I didn't even read much of the OP anyway tbh.

Well, I guess today I will start with gameplay ideas, since that should keep things simple.

Basic returning mechanics-

-Split promotion tree

-Awakening reclassing

-Awakening skill system

-In game skill scrolls

-Stat cap modifiers

-Challenge maps (I.E FE8 and FE13)

-Pair up

-Eugenics

-Supports

-Affinities

-World map

-Stores

-My unit who can support every character

-BEXP

-Tactical rpg combat/terrain/other obvious stuff

And now for some new mechanics-

-Merc-ing system: since your main character is the leader of a mercenary band, he can lead his army to do odd jobs on the side. These are almost like paralogues, but not quite. You have a list of jobs you are reprutable to take on, and you can do any of them once and only once, with each having multiple optional objectives. The better you do, the better your reward (usually gold, stat boosters, decent weaponry or an off skill scroll) and the more reputable you become, allowing you do do even higher level jobs. One can also become more reputable by beating main game chapters.

-New skill scrolls: If there's any DLC, you can inherit those skills. This matters because now the only skills you can't inherit are skill scroll skills (Paragon, Armsthrift, and Limit Breaker, all of which keep their original functions). You now technically only have 4 skill slots, but the three scroll skills do not take up any of them. You use the scroll and now that skill can never be removed from you. Ever. It is as much a part of that unit as the character portrait. All these scrolls can be found in the normal game, and their purpose is to make it so more perfectionist min-maxers (like me) have more strategic variety (rather than obsessing over everyone having limit breaker and Armsthrift)

-Changed My Unit/Avatar system- When starting the game, the MU has their gender, asset, flaw, affinity, body type, facial features and base class chosen. Yep, rather than start out as a tactician, you can start as quite literally any gender-available, non-lord(mercenary in this game) class (with Troubadours and Fighters now being available to both genders! Hurray!). Since the main character has the class line Merenary-Hero, the old Mercenary/Hero class line is now Swordsman/Vanguard. Other than that, MU works the exact same as Fe13.

-Avatar: Rather than have the MU and an Avatar, a DQ3-esque test detentions your affinity (see affinity to personality chart), and units of the same affinity get a little bonus in combat. The My Unit takes on a Morgan persona, idolizing you, the tactician,whoever you may be (male, female, whatever). The avatar does not breed, fight, or anything. The act as a means for you to communicate with the world, and the decisions you make off the battle field do have minor but present impacts on it.

-Revised Barracks: support can now be built off the battlefield by having compatible units share a room. Yep, you can even choose where everyone sleeps! Can you. Contain. The excitement. But really, this just hastens the building of supports and allows units (two or three of them) who are left alive but unable to fight to still have their children.

Affinity to personality chart-

Fire- zealous

Thunder- 'loud'/bombastic

Water- calm

Wind- carefree

Earth- simple people without complex needs

Anima- People with strong spirits and loyalties

Steel- Dedicated, usually detached

Light- kind and/or benevolent people.

Dark- callous/uncaring, possibly a douchebag

Well, those are some of the basic gameplay mechanics ideas I had. And yes, I did think of a way to hopefully balance pair-up (because its a really good idea), but I could do a whole section on that. In the mean time, tell me what you guys think of what's here!

Well, I guess today I will start with gameplay ideas, since that should keep things simple.

Basic returning mechanics-

-Split promotion tree

-Awakening reclassing

-Awakening skill system

-In game skill scrolls

-Stat cap modifiers

-Challenge maps (I.E FE8 and FE13)

-Pair up

-Eugenics

-Supports

-Affinities

-World map

-Stores

-My unit who can support every character

-BEXP

-Tactical rpg combat/terrain/other obvious stuff

And now for some new mechanics-

-Merc-ing system: since your main character is the leader of a mercenary band, he can lead his army to do odd jobs on the side. These are almost like paralogues, but not quite. You have a list of jobs you are reprutable to take on, and you can do any of them once and only once, with each having multiple optional objectives. The better you do, the better your reward (usually gold, stat boosters, decent weaponry or an off skill scroll) and the more reputable you become, allowing you do do even higher level jobs. One can also become more reputable by beating main game chapters.

-New skill scrolls: If there's any DLC, you can inherit those skills. This matters because now the only skills you can't inherit are skill scroll skills (Paragon, Armsthrift, and Limit Breaker, all of which keep their original functions). You now technically only have 4 skill slots, but the three scroll skills do not take up any of them. You use the scroll and now that skill can never be removed from you. Ever. It is as much a part of that unit as the character portrait. All these scrolls can be found in the normal game, and their purpose is to make it so more perfectionist min-maxers (like me) have more strategic variety (rather than obsessing over everyone having limit breaker and Armsthrift)

-Changed My Unit/Avatar system- When starting the game, the MU has their gender, asset, flaw, affinity, body type, facial features and base class chosen. Yep, rather than start out as a tactician, you can start as quite literally any gender-available, non-lord(mercenary in this game) class (with Troubadours and Fighters now being available to both genders! Hurray!). Since the main character has the class line Merenary-Hero, the old Mercenary/Hero class line is now Swordsman/Vanguard. Other than that, MU works the exact same as Fe13.

-Avatar: Rather than have the MU and an Avatar, a DQ3-esque test detentions your affinity (see affinity to personality chart), and units of the same affinity get a little bonus in combat. The My Unit takes on a Morgan persona, idolizing you, the tactician,whoever you may be (male, female, whatever). The avatar does not breed, fight, or anything. The act as a means for you to communicate with the world, and the decisions you make off the battle field do have minor but present impacts on it.

-Revised Barracks: support can now be built off the battlefield by having compatible units share a room. Yep, you can even choose where everyone sleeps! Can you. Contain. The excitement. But really, this just hastens the building of supports and allows units (two or three of them) who are left alive but unable to fight to still have their children.

General affinity to personality chart-

Fire- zealous

Thunder- 'loud'/bombastic

Water- calm

Wind- carefree

Earth- simple, though not dull, people without complex needs

Anima- People with strong spirits and loyalties

Steel- Dedicated, usually detached

Light- kind and/or benevolent people.

Dark- callous/uncaring, possibly a douchebag

(I know these don't perfectly match character affinities in previous games, but it's a general frame work)

Well, those are some of the basic gameplay mechanics ideas I had. And yes, I did think of a way to hopefully balance pair-up (because its a really good idea), but I could do a whole section on that. In the mean time, tell me what you guys think of what's here!

Minor update, a few small edits.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Hello! This here is a thread I started to discuss and help refine ideas I had for an FE game. So, why don't I start out?

My plot frame: You have a Mercenary band, whom are hired by a kingdom (Lanex) to help them avoid being conquered by a neighboring kingdom (Akur) who is currently kicking their ass. Events ensue and we see that the king of the Akur (Albin) has a talented warrior and tactician (Cyth) leading his army, whom also seems to be very secluded. The player army eventually leads a counter offensive against Akur after being typical FE protagonists and kicking everyone into ash. In one timeline (ah la Awakening), the army goes in and defeats Albin, but Cyth starts a trap, incapacitating the mercenary force and allowing him to take control of Akur and lead a yet more successful military campaign, taking over the continents and (when they attack him once again) killing the original generation. This leaves the second generation alone in a desolate future, where the children, resorting to underground tactics, can barely put up a fight and are soon defeated by Cyth who, testing the power of a new incarnation of the Fire Emblem (Dark Emblem, a treasure hidden within the castle of Akur from a war many centuries ago), fucks up time itself and sends the children and a bunch of other things back to the past, just after the start of the original quest. The break in time causes a similar reaction to occur with the Dark Emblem in the past, and now a whole new chain of events have been set into action to motivate the rest of the game.

Well, that was the basic outline of the plot. Of course, it's devoid of a ton of details, backstory, and the extensive character list I created (as well all the gameplay ideas I had), but I thought it was a good way to break the ice. So please, tell me what you think of this and any future updates I may have. All constructive criticism in great appreciated!

PLOT REVISION (V.2):

The game follows a Mercenary band. However, unlike the Greil Mercenaries of FE9, this group is small, pay over honor, wandering, strife-ridden and pretty fresh to the scene. All the members are familiar with war and aren't strangers to fighting or death, but they haven't done a ton of it. So, it's naturally pretty big when they are contracted to help the nation of Lanex to help free itself from the solidifying occupation of neighboring Akur. They help drive the Akurians out of a few cities and forts, travel to gain national allies, and even sabotage a few enemy plans, all in all being rather successful. However, Akur at the same time is also making its own victories, which come without much trouble under the leadership of Cyth, a tactician rival to your own. Eventually, its decided the fastest way to end the militant ways of Akur and it's King Albin is to storm the capital and bring down the current monarchy. And...it works. They defeat King Albin and his elites, bringing a seemingly stable peace. However, Cyth (being a very secluded and sharp individual) remains not only hidden from the new government (a vassalage akin to the Begnion Occupational Army) and Lanexians, but completely unknown. So, in the future (I.E 15 or so years) where success in the Akurians war has made the player army heroes rich enough to retire and start families with growing children, it is a major shock when this guy single-handedly leads a small rebellion and throws out the occupation. This seemingly impossible feat was in no small part possible do to the Dark Emblem (an item of myth hidden within the catacombs of the Akurians capital), giving Cyth amazing power. He even leads a force that sweep through the continent, crushing all opposition. However, the Dark Emblem is called the Dark Emblem for a reason other than it emits black fire (which it does), but because it has corrosive effects on the mind of its user, turning the once idealistic Cyth (being patriotic and upstanding, trying to avoid unnecessary casualties in his plans) into a madman drunk with blood and power. His assault leads to the eventual death of many of the first gen characters in battle, leaving the second generation with a life of gloom, sorrow, and the fear of their safety. So after a while a few of them sneak into Castle Akur and try to do anything to end the unchallenged campaign of Cyth. In doing so they find Cyth tampering with the powers of the Dark Emblem, and their intrusion leads to a screw up in time occurring, opening a temporary rift and sending the second generation into the past (before they were born), along with the essence and memories of many people alive in the future to enter their past selves as well. And so begins another chain of events with lovers, children and etcetera fighting to prevent the bleak future that would happen normally. All of this complicated by a parallel reaction of the Dark Emblem in the past, which has caused the existence of... monsters, or civil unrest, or whatever would be used for the challenge battles that would appear on the map.

All input really is appreciated, and I'd love to hear not only what you think about my ideas, but revisions, wants and ideas of our own! Happy talking!

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

• 5 months later...

3rd tier promotions

NOW

Dude, this thread is like 6 months old. I revised this idea at least 10 times in my head.

That aside, I don't have tier 3 promotions in this game, however, I do have a different FE game idea which does have them.

Another Akaneia game about the descendant of Marth who first sealed off Grima for 1000 years. It will have most of the Akaneian nations, though, since it's a lot closer to FE1/2/3/11/12 than Awakening(I didn't care for Awakening). Valm will have been recently united, and will not have split into various nations(Rosanne, Chon'sin).

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy