League of Legends

General rule of thumb: If you admit your mistakes, people are less likely to bitch at you. Also, don't shift blame if you made a mistake.

Go forth and practice.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a more serious question, does anyone else find it a hassle to play games in solo queue, whether normal or ranked? When I go solo queue, I use it as an opportunity to practice, as the bot games are awful to do. However, when you do that, you get called a feeder and a troll and other assorted awful things. This is why I only play with friends, but then they have their specialties, and I usually get relegated to Support.

So should I tell my friends that I'm going to play other things, or just keep going solo queue and hope for the best?

Tell your friends you don't want to play support and have them play something different. I don't know your friends, but when I play with Joey and ASK, they usually let me do what I want within the constraints of our team. If I'm learning a new champion, I find that it helps more to drill skill order and combos in bot games before going off and solo queuing. I refuse to solo queue after being put with so many bad/trolling people, so I usually duo or triple queue.

Solo queue is a shithole.

I can't sugarcoat that - it really is. It's full of trolls, ragers, tryhards, shit-talkers, children, idiots, blamegames, ragequits, and general unpleasantness, and all of those things are consistent. But it's the best place to practice. The reason for that is that solo queue is as hard as the game will ever get. Elo may rise or fall, but getting a team of strangers in foul moods to organize and move as one cogent unit is fucking HARD no matter what level you play at.

If you play solo queue for long enough, and if you're willing to stomach the losses (they WILL come), your mechanics, game sense, and general ability to play and cooperate will all improve by leaps and bounds. Keep chipping away your comfort zone as you keep playing. Play some solo lanes, some AD - even jungle a bit when you have the runes for it, just to get as good a feel for the game as you can. Solo queue will build those basic skills and give you a foundation that will let you start carrying the yokels you find in solo queue.

I still prefer playing with people I know, if only for my sanity's sake, but solo queue is still a good place to work at your game. Just go in with as thick a skin as you can muster and play to the best of your ability, and things will get better.

I've gotten a lot of wins lately in solo queue. And i recommend duo queuing a lot with a friend that you work well with. A lot of the time people say duo queuing is stronger, but in most situations unless those two have good communication it's not different than solo queue frankly. I used to duo queue with people a fair amount and i thought it was fine but i always thought it was weird or something was off. Recently me and an old friend duoed together and i noticed we talked more and we had general better communication. We ended up winning like 6 games in a row easy.

I'm sure it's already been said but keep an eye for how you think a team is building, what they are banning, and how to counter. For example, if you see something like an ashe and a tf picked together, they can easily be a kite/poke comp. Hard to push against on towers, almost impossible to chase, etc. If you can your best bet is to pick people like irelia or olaf, people who can fight against cc and not be affected too much by it. Also a good thing to counter would be get a janna pick early, it stops them from getting the janna pick which would pretty much guarantee their team safety and it also helps you catch them better.

Another example is something like sion/noc, tf/noc, karth/noc, Champions that can roam well or help other lanes without too much punishment or issue will most likely gank ALOT. this means you need protection, early wards in proper spots and strong picks. Against something like tf/noc as i said your bot lane would most defintely get 4-man ganked constantly most likely. If you can convince top to take teleport that will help counter balence that but the bigger issue is bot, Ward further up river and specific spots that noc and tf like to hide at. Pay attention to the map and if your mid be ready to move bot or top as soon as tf would go missing. Alot of it is just experience but counter picking can easily win games if you play it properly in solo queue. This is all around the 1600-1900 range. But it's still beneficial at lower ratings.

I absolutely hate playing LoL sometimes due to the community. I'm honestly surprised they haven't added in a 1v1 match type so that people can just smash their egos together and talk about who has the larger phallus, it's ridiculous.

I've first-timed shit in ranked games. Don't let other people bother you if you do poorly. Just learn from your mistakes and move on.

this is horrible advice. it is rude and selfish to first-something in a competitive environment. you are making the experience less fun for those individuals

please. learn a character in normals first. normals are laid-back fun, but ranked is ranked, and some people actually care about their elo

please. learn a character in normals first. normals are laid-back fun, but ranked is ranked, and some people actually care about their elo

I'd say that would be good advice except I'm always last pick in normal, which means I'm usually forced support, so I'm pretty much forced to play ranked even when I don't really want a competitive game.

Edited by Ghoti

Meh, I have a perverse "Enjoyment" of solo queue simply because I can play it with the knowledge that if we lose, it probably wasn't really my fault. It's pretty easy to just ignore whatever my teammates have to say that's less than nice.

this is horrible advice. it is rude and selfish to first-something in a competitive environment. you are making the experience less fun for those individuals

What if I told you I went 14/4/10 as first time Fiora in ranked vs a Kennen solo top at gold elo? lol

I'd say that would be good advice except I'm always last pick in normal, which means I'm usually forced support, so I'm pretty much forced to play ranked even when I don't really want a competitive game.

Last pick in normals means nothing. It's randomized.

Last pick in normals probably means you kept getting stuck with premades; the number of people in those premades typically doesn't matter.

What if I told you I went 14/4/10 as first time Fiora in ranked vs a Kennen solo top at gold elo? lol

Gold elo around 1500-1600 isnt to much different than 1400 or 1300 normally. There are still alot of people who got lucky in getting there with placement matches along with a fair amount of trolls. I actually hated 1500-1600 worse than any other elo so far.

Also on a side note. Just cause you ended up getting fed and playing good as a first time doesn't mean its cool that you did a first time anything while in ranked. It is meant to be competitive, although there is really no incentive to do it.

Yea, normal draft is not randomized whatsoever: premades are always higher up in the pick order.

Which makes it pretty frustrating to solo queue normal draft since you're support 95% of the time, jungle 3% of a time, and AD/mid/top about 1% each.

Gold elo around 1500-1600 isnt to much different than 1400 or 1300 normally. There are still alot of people who got lucky in getting there with placement matches along with a fair amount of trolls. I actually hated 1500-1600 worse than any other elo so far.

Also on a side note. Just cause you ended up getting fed and playing good as a first time doesn't mean its cool that you did a first time anything while in ranked. It is meant to be competitive, although there is really no incentive to do it.

There is a huge difference lol, I carry 90% of my games sub-1400. I know, I play on smurfs frequently.

Also, game 2 and game 3 with Fiora resulted in positive results as well, wasn't just one time.

Edited by Joey

I've also carried alot of my games in the 1600 range and 1800 range when i duo with my friend. I can tell you from experience the difference isn't too large. People make a lot of the same mistakes and there is still a large lack of counter picking at that range of players.