Has a game ever made you cry?

Slinky

91 members have voted

1. 1. Have you cried over a videogame?

Funny thing is, I almost laughed at how cliche Emmeryn's death was.

I think I would have been more emotionally immersed into Metroid: Other M if Samus wasn't complete shit.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like it's illegal if I don't cry once when playing Mother 3.

Even though I've played it a ton before.

Still sometimes makes me cry.

I've never cried over a video game. Then again, I don't even cry at all. I just get blasted with the feels:

A couple parts in the Phoenix Wright series

Metroid- when the baby dies and then in Other M: killing MB and when Samus is hugging Adam's helmet

Fire Emblem Genealogy- just...everything about this game...should be pretty obvious, right? (If not: everything that goes down in chapter 5. In chapter 9, when Finn cries when he talks to Altenna after she's recruited. Then there's chapter 10, after killing Ishtar and Celice sees the ghosts of his parents).

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon- the whole Nyna/Camus backstory, fighting him as a boss doesn't help either, making Minerva fight Michalis, killing Tiki, but that was an avoidable mistake on my part :(, and Marth reuniting with his sister.

I always have to hold back my tears or else my family would tell me I'm crazy. :c

All of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. FE8's Lyon really gave me the feels too.

Phatasy star 4 not to far in.

Disgaea DS, not to long after my grandpa died the red moon song hit me hard for some reason.

Bastion, came close when the Ura attacked the bastion. Then for real at the end when I picked save Zolf...

Mother 3. Surprised only one other person mentioned it lol, the ending to that game was hella sad.

If you're sappy, DON'T PLAY VALKYRIE PROFILE. Gosh, nothing good ever happens in that series!

True but I don't think it's too much worth crying over... at least I don't remember crying

also cried the 3rd time I beat Ys Origin (Toal Fact's route)

I've probably shed a tear in a few other games but none that I can remember. Watching/Reading One Piece though, makes me literally bawl and soak my shirt in tears

Only one time that I can think of, and it's pretty pathetic. It was at Hey You, Pikachu's ending, but my excuse was that I was like 5. I felt that all I did in the game was absolutely pointless, and all I did (IRL) was a waste of time and completely useless. Almost like it wouldn't even matter if I even existed or not.

Edited by Konnor97

I'm a massive wuss, so naming every single video game that's made me cry may fill an entire page. Let's just name the most egregious ones that were massive tearjerkers:

5. The prologue of the Last of Us

"It hurts, baby, I know..."

4. The ending of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Terra's become Xehanort, Aqua is lost in the darkness, and Ventus is comatose, his heart completely broken after the fight with Vanitas. The events are so painful that it makes Sora cry, and he's WORLDS away.

In the ending, not only do we find out Ansem the Wise is still alive, he's met with Aqua in the World of Darkness, and he talks about Sora saving everyone from their fate. The game ends on the note that eveyrone ruined by Xehanort's plans, the Heartless, the Nobodies, even Xion, and especially Terra, Ven and Aqua, can all be saved by Sora, and it's enough for Aqua to cry tears of joy.

Just... wow... I hate you, Square Enix. Stop making me cry so much.

3. The worst ending of Suikoden II

To get the worst ending, you have to do the following:

Run away from the events in Tinto and get Ridley killed (optional).

Do not get all 108 Stars before the Rockaxe mission, and get Nanami killed.

After defeating the Beast Rune, decline Shu's offer, and go to the Tenzan Pass.

Fight Jowy, block his attacks until the fight automatically ends.

What happens afterwards is just soul-crushingly depressing.

2. The ending of Final Fantasy Type-0

Important note: before starting a game by Square Enix's PDD1 (the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts team), just bring lots and lots of tissues, because in the best case scenario, it'll be a heartwarming ending (like FFVIII or FFIX), or it just completely destroy you, like this game. Just try to keep a straight face when Cinque starts crying.

1. The ending of Final Fantasy X

Again, by Square Enix's PDD1. Probably my favorite ending from the main series, and one of my favorite endings ever. The ending is bittersweet, and Nobuo Uematsu's music just punctuates everything.

The ending and indeed, the entire story, was so perfect for me that for the longest time, I hated FFX-2 for ruining FFX's ending. But, I've eventually come to terms with FFX-2, so that's all good

Edited by Keiya

I can certainly think of a few times a game has made me cry. A few moments I can think of off the top of my head:

- FE 7 (Elbert's death. Oh dear Jesus, Elbert's death was the first thing in any video game that ever made me cry.)

- Riviera: The Promised Land (Ledah's death got me the first time around. The other times, not so much, but still...)

- Dragon Age 2 (Twice: The first time came in the Shepherding Wolves quest. I got halfway through that quest, and then the waterworks just came. The second time came during All That Remains. Holy Christ, that quest. That one was just... T_T)

I've never cried during a video game, but there are moments when I was close to it. Such as...

A few moments in Fire Emblem. Elbert's death and Ninian's 'death.' Lyn and her grandfather at the end of Chapter 10 and Nino learning the truth about her family were touching, but not like Elbert's death and Ninian's 'death.'

Might seem cliche, but Aerith's death in Final Fantasy VII.

Haven't actually played it, but seen it. The prologue of The Last of Us. Very sad.

Again, haven't played it, but seen and learned so much about it. Mother 3. Seriously one of the saddest games I've heard of, another to fall under this never-played-but-seen category is FE4.

I have cried in Mother 3. Repeatedly. Every playthrough.

The scene in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days where

Xion dies

really made me tear up, even with Roxas' somewhat awkward line

Chapters 9 and 10 in FE:A make me cry pretty hard, and it was awkward when I got there during a road trip :/

Recently I witnessed the emotional endings of Klonoa AND Klonoa 2. Their stories aren't very complicated, but...

.....Will there be Klonoa 3 on WiiU?

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. The ending had so many feels. Pokémon Platinum also made me cry when I was doing a no save playthrough. I was on the last gym battle, and when I set my DS down to take a shower, it froze. From being set down on a table. :facepalm:

To everyone that said The Last of Us: Do whatever it takes to get NieR. Play it. Or, at least watch Ending B on YouTube.

Asch...? :3c

Because I also cried when I played Abyss. Right there. Just abit. Not like sobbing through the whole freaking night with Persona. xD

Nope. That. . .didn't really do much for me, sadly.

This made me tear up a bit as well, especially after all they've been though, but the real point of the game that I cried was

Sialeed's death orz

After hearing that what she did, as well as her supposed "betrayal" was in the end, all to pave a better future for both the hero and Lymsleia, I couldn't take it. Man. The Falena family deaths are all pretty tragic in hindsight. Especially Ferid and Arshtat's...

It wasn't when Lyon went limp and died, nor when she ran off. Things got misty when the prince ran after her, and tripped. When his mother was there, on her hands and knees, seeing if her son was okay. . .yeah, tears. I'm sappy.

Tales of Abyss

Asch and Sync's death. Sync's entire speech was really sad too...

Nope and nope.

First time I cried to a videogame was looong ago when I played FF7. I was rather fond of Aerith, you see :P

Then I cried at FFX's ending.

Then I cried at both FFXIII's endings.

I also cried when Majora's Mask ended. But that was tears of awesomeness at the game I just experienced being over ;_;

I cried at Xenosaga III's ending.

I cried at FE12's Chapter 16x because Katarina.

I cried at FF8 for being a terrible game.

I cried at Birth by Sleep's ending because Aqua ;_;

So yeah, I'm a crybaby.

There are several moments in games that made me tear up.

Dark Souls in particular since everything about the game is so hopeless and depressing and there are very few good things that happen to people. Even if you try to do "good" things it can and will bite back in the long run. The DLC just shows how bleak the future for everything is since the Dark Lord ending condemns everyone and the Successor ending only buys a little more time for someone to find a way to break the curse of the Dark Soul. It doesn't help that you are just being manipulated from the very start.

Practically every enemy has some sort of backstory and even those "mindless" hollows still have remnants of their humanity that you can very clearly see in New Anor Londo.

A bunch of the NPCs and bosses have some decent backstory.

cried tears of joy because you didn't have to play them anymore right

Sephiroth is better than Aerith

And shadykid was never seen again :P:

Cried a bit at FFXIII's ending, cried more at FFXIII-2's ending. Kinda forgot about the former.

cried tears of joy because you didn't have to play them anymore right

Sephiroth is better than Aerith

I'm one of those that actually enjoys the XIII games. Haters gonna hate :P

And shadykid was never seen again :P:

nooooooooooooooooooo

I'm one of those that actually enjoys the XIII games. Haters gonna hate :P

we can't be friends anymore

on topic, FFX had a pretty sad ending I guess

Edited by shadykid