• Gregor
    • Libra
    • Henry
    • Basilio

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... I'll say Lon' qu, because is a badass swordsman. I also like Gregor, though.

And least Favourite, Vaike and Ricken, specially Vaike. He's ugly and I can't stand him. And Ricken... is useless.

Favourite: Libra. His sage sprite looks great, and he is one of the better rounded characters in the game. Henry is also very well rounded, though he cannot be a War Monk, one of my favourite classes. Basilio is a bro.

Least Favourite: Um... I will admit my undying hatred for Vaike. He's such an arrogant jerk in his supports, and every time I see one of his S supports, I think: HOW? HOW DID SOMEONE LIKE THIS GET A LOVER?

Aside from this, Doga's "tier list" above^ is pretty accurate for me, except Gangrel isn't at the bottom so that's a problem. Besides, I'd put Freddy in "Bro Tier" (not to mention I think Henry's overrated), but otherwise I like it!

While I'd agree Gangrel showing up in the middle of nowhere strikes me as awkward, I enjoyed his antics as a villain and I like him for various reasons as a player character, namely having the same class set as Henry (one of my favorites, despite not being all that useful) and interesting caps modifiers.

As for Frederick, I'm not very fond of good knightly characters, though I suppose he is rather humoristic with his training routine and his snark.

Actually, I only mention him when it IS relevant. Doing otherwise would be stupid. And I use "Freddy Bear" in my posts because it's my favorite nickname for him. Is there something wrong with that? I don't see anyone complaining about Florina calling him "Froderick."

I do understand, but I feel people tend to exaggerate just a bit when they say I go on and on about my favorite characters. Yes, I mention them a good bit, that's natural. But I don't think it's as bad as some people really say.

Nobody said it was wrong or bad or anything to call him by Freddy Bear or any other nickname you want. That's not what we were implying either. But when you can go into just about any topic even slightly involving Frederick and find you gushing about how awesome he is or how much you love him, it can wear on the nerves a bit. And you really do talk about him quite a lot.

It took me a while, but I ran a search through the last 1000 posts you've made for every instance of the word "Fred", which always results in either Frederick , Freddy or Freddy Bear. It may have a slight margin of error, and I didn't count the support you wrote for him and his daughter, but I found 409 instances of the word Fred, 733 if I add in the fanfic chapters you wrote with him in them. And out of 1000 posts, 96 of them had you mentioning your affection for him, whether it be through his wit, charm, looks, or just plain awesomeness.

Please understand Ana, it is not my intention to offend, insult, or shame you in any way by pointing all of this out. I'm not saying that you should stop loving him or anything of the sort either. Just... tone it down a little bit on the public Frederick worship, alright? If you want to reply though, it might be best to take it to PMs so we don't derail the topic any further.

Favorite: Gaius because of his interesting backstory and a well pulled off gimmick

Least Favorite: it took me a bit to decide between Vaike and Kellam, but then I remembered that Kellam made me laugh once the first time he showed up, which is more than I can say for Vaike.

While I'd agree Gangrel showing up in the middle of nowhere strikes me as awkward, I enjoyed his antics as a villain and I like him for various reasons as a player character, namely having the same class set as Henry (one of my favorites, despite not being all that useful) and interesting caps modifiers.

As for Frederick, I'm not very fond of good knightly characters, though I suppose he is rather humoristic with his training routine and his snark.

IS definitely did their job with making you hate Gangrel, but I can't understand how anyone could play through the main story and think "I wanna marry this guy", which quite a few people apparently do.

On topic, I tend to judge characters based on how good they are in-game (particularly in minimal to no grind environments) in addition to their personalities, so that's the main reason why I would rate Fred high and Henry average.

And at the guy above, while Gaius certainly has an interesting backstory, I wouldn't call it "well-pulled off" but I actually find it rather stupid. I mean Kellam's gimmick was impractical too but it was at least funny, while Gaius' was completely random and arbitrary.

Edited by Walhart

IS definitely did their job with making you hate Gangrel, but I can't understand how anyone could play through the main story and think "I wanna marry this guy", which quite a few people apparently do.

...I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought like this. I loathe him and, even with his sympathetic backstory and wish for atoning... well, I'm a little like Chrom and just can't, because I feel like he went entirely too far, while on screen. It's implied that Walhart and Aversa did as bad (or perhaps worse from certain points of view), but that was never seen, only heard.

If the poll had included the spotpass males, Gangrel definitely would've been my least favorite vote. It doesn't help that I feel like his "recruitment" has the least sense in it [...Okay, Emm's might be more, but she shows actual mental damage, so I sorta let it slide...], considering how my line of thinking is "hooray, we've slain the Mad King. Now, let's make sure that he's dead, because he could be faking to kill me again later." ...Admittedly, I've been noted as pragmatic and cynical, so maybe that was just me?

Chrom

Milkshakes all the gurls and love his characteristics. We have another Emmeryn/Marth personality-wise later in the game. <333

Henry

He's creepy, does stuff that no one else in the francise would do. And his victory cheer makes it look like he's high on crack and having Noire as her father, good god. -.-

Edited by 綾波

...I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought like this. I loathe him and, even with his sympathetic backstory and wish for atoning... well, I'm a little like Chrom and just can't, because I feel like he went entirely too far, while on screen. It's implied that Walhart and Aversa did as bad (or perhaps worse from certain points of view), but that was never seen, only heard.

I don't think I ever had more rage toward Walhart or Aversa, I guess because Gangrel's laugh made me really mad. Although, Grima in FP3 is an ass.

On topic, I tend to judge characters based on how good they are in-game (particularly in minimal to no grind environments) in addition to their personalities, so that's the main reason why I would rate Fred high and Henry average.

His story of redemption perhaps.

I generally don't mind much, since Henry died pretty often in his stints as an Assassin, Warrior or Berserker.

And at the guy above, while Gaius certainly has an interesting backstory, I wouldn't call it "well-pulled off" but I actually find it rather stupid. I mean Kellam's gimmick was impractical too but it was at least funny, while Gaius' was completely random and arbitrary.

well, I guess I did like his gimmick more than I should have, but when I saw his first few lines, I sighed and immediately thought we had another volke on our hands, and when I did see his weakness for candy, it was a rather nice surprise.

Stahl followed closely by Chrom. I really liked the friendly approachable attitude both characters provided. As for least favourite character it has to be Ricken. I find him too squeamish and I never even bothered training the poor guy in any of my playthroughs.

This post -may- get me some ire, but you know what (looks at my avatar) I've the will to fight god...

Favorite? Probably Chrom. Sure, he's pretty meh, but some things I've done just wouldn't have been possible without Sniper Chrom. He's definitely the best Sniper in the game, and some times, you just need a Sniper. (Dat Longbow)

Personality wise, sure, he's pretty generic, but then again, so are all other FE lords, save for Leif (who's overlooked) and Micaiah (who (very incorrectly) gets called a Mary Sue)- but I like the fact that he knows his flaws, and some of his moments are just downright awesome (say, the choice to "sacrifice Emmeryn" <No>). But really a big kicker for me, is the lead up to his ending. He's pretty serious on not letting MU sacrifice him/herself, and honestly, that moves him way up. Sure there's no interference (which I find kinda dumb, but w/e, he's not Lloyd Irving), but still anyone who's that quick on realizing that the cost outweighs the benefit in that scenario, yeah, I like them-- yes, I like Chrom, for his ending. (Of course, the impact of that is sorta lost when you realize MU is -literally- the only one (save for maybe Naga, but she's a troll, I swear) who thinks that plan is a good idea, but it don't matter- Chrom was the first to point out that that plan sucks.)

Least? Donnel. Not only is he pretty boring, outside of Yeehaw + Yakity Sax, but he's pretty terrible overall. Sure, growths. No postgame, too hard to raise to get to L10 in game. He's bleh. And he's boring bleh.

I can't say I'm surprised by the Henry love but I don't understand it, personally. I like him in a few of his supports but on his own and during his other interactions I just find him to be a character that is funny at first but quickly loses his charm. They try to play him creepy and lovable at the same time and neither one comes through for me. Instead of veering too close to the irredeemable like with Tharja, they just left him in a corny, darkly joking limbo. He's not threatening and besides his introduction and a few quips, he's not funny.

I can't say I'm surprised by the Henry love but I don't understand it, personally. I like him in a few of his supports but on his own and during his other interactions I just find him to be a character that is funny at first but quickly loses his charm. They try to play him creepy and lovable at the same time and neither one comes through for me. Instead of veering too close to the irredeemable like with Tharja, they just left him in a corny, darkly joking limbo. He's not threatening and besides his introduction and a few quips, he's not funny.

Not to mention some of his 'support building' sparkly tile things. "You're cuter than a dead puppy" I believe was one of them.

He's so jarring to me and so... abnormally creepy. Which I think was the point, but I have trouble finding lovable aspects on him [i am working on gathering his supports, so maybe I'll find something? Maybe?]

Holy crap, Ricken is dominating this hate poll. ;n;

At least no one hates Stahl. :o

Is anyone planning on putting up a first gen female equivalent of this poll anytime soon?

Edited by Crizix

If the poll had included the spotpass males, Gangrel definitely would've been my least favorite vote. It doesn't help that I feel like his "recruitment" has the least sense in it [...Okay, Emm's might be more, but she shows actual mental damage, so I sorta let it slide...], considering how my line of thinking is "hooray, we've slain the Mad King. Now, let's make sure that he's dead, because he could be faking to kill me again later." ...Admittedly, I've been noted as pragmatic and cynical, so maybe that was just me?

No, you definitely aren't the only one, and I'd hardly call being a bit cynical a bad thing. I get that the spotpass characters aren't "canon" and their deaths and rebirths aren't practical at all, but I'd agree that it is a bit hard to suspend your disbelief when Chrom forgives Gangrel for killing Emm. As for Walhart, while he shared Gangrel's "ends justify the means" philosophy, Walhart's ends were undoubtedly not only more noble but also more practical than Gangrel's. I mean, Walhart's plan would have killed both the gods, and suddenly not only is there no more Grima problems, but the entire world would no longer be subject to the whims of the gods. Sounds like a win to me.

</Gushing about Walhart>

well, I guess I did like his gimmick more than I should have, but when I saw his first few lines, I sighed and immediately thought we had another volke on our hands, and when I did see his weakness for candy, it was a rather nice surprise.

That is understandable. I probably would have felt the same if I Gaius had struck me as overly similar to Volke.

Is anyone planning on putting up a first gen female equivalent of this poll anytime soon?

I got you covered: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42065&st=

Edited by Walhart

No, you definitely aren't the only one, and I'd hardly call being a bit cynical a bad thing. I get that the spotpass characters aren't "canon" and their deaths and rebirths aren't practical at all, but I'd agree that it is a bit hard to suspend your disbelief when Chrom forgives Gangrel for killing Emm. As for Walhart, while he shared Gangrel's "ends justify the means" philosophy, Walhart's ends were undoubtedly not only more noble but also more practical than Gangrel's. I mean, Walhart's plan would have killed both the gods, and suddenly not only is there no more Grima problems, but the entire world would no longer be subject to the whims of the gods. Sounds like a win to me.

He forgave him? I thought it was more that Gangrel just wasn't worth killing because he was so damn pathetic.

iirc, Gangrel's motives were to protect the continent (...hey, is the continent called Ylisse too? Like how Archanea referred to both the continent and country?) from Walhart and then he went overboard and mad. Also has a very sucky backstory.

Here are the two main problems - a) said sucky backstory is only mentioned/implied in the japanese only background site and not every english player knows japanese (I only know about it thanks to shadowofchaos's lp) and b) his explanation/motives are ONLY shown through the optional support conversations (in particular, I think they were just the male!avatar's, though it could be in the female's as well), which some people might completely skip over because Gangrel's an ass (I only have them because I'm filling out the support library for instance). Unlike Walhart, whose motivations were stated in the story proper through both his own words and through the villains'.

IS did a VERY good job in making people (me) hate Gangrel. I feel like they bungled the whole 'atoner'/'redemption' part of him in the spotpass. (Okay yes, I'm pretty certain his conversation with Emm in the Spas mention/imply he feels he's past redemption... but, damn it, you could at least try!)

(note: all of the above is based off my no doubt spotty memory and I could be mistaken about just about anything up there)

My favorite is probably Henry. He is cruel, murderous and has a sick sense of humor.
But unlike everyone else in the cast, he is actually intended that way. Because of that, I actually think he is less disturbing then the rest,

It's also neat that he has his unique laughing animation. It's just a bit of a shame that he is one of the characters who gets dropped into the army without any explanation but he makes more then up for it.

On the other hand of the spectrum is Virion. This guy just makes my blood boil.
He is definitly quite full of himself for an archer with a negative speed base.

Undead? Massive earthshifts? A rain of fire? A giant eyeball in the sky? No shit is given by the great Virion.
Heck, he even thinks that it is appropriate to waste the time of a knight who is on her way to actually help people. Who cares if people get their brains eaten as long as Virion gets to hump a girl's leg.
And even in a game where everyone's battle quotes are indistinguishable from the actual sociopath, Virion stands out as particular inhuman.

In particular "Die! With Magnifigance!" has to be one of the most disgusting lines I ever heard in a media uttered by a supposed hero.
It also doesn't occur Virion, that he might want to warn Chrom about Wallhart sometime during the timeskip. Because that would mean that Virion would actually care about anyone but himself.

Edited by BrightBow