• Cherche
    • Say'ri
    • Tiki
    • Flavia

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tharja is definitely not as contradictory as Cordelia, however even I have to admit that Tharja is pretty fanservice-y and I personally hate the whole "OMG fanservice" thing.

Fanservice is fine if it's integrated well into someone's character. Tharja's character design makes more sense (well, at least for Fe13 standards) for someone like her. Contradicting your own goddamn characters' personalities for the sake of fanservice (fuck you Olivia) is stupid.

The fanservice bit was directed only at Olivia, not Cordelia. I have no issue with Cordelia's character design, but rather with the character itself.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Fuck, you steal my punchline

Nosferatu!Cecil is the best

XD true that!

Fanservice is fine if it's integrated well into someone's character. Tharja's character design makes more sense (well, at least for Fe13 standards) for someone like her. Contradicting your own goddamn characters' personalities for the sake of fanservice (fuck you Olivia) is stupid.

Yep, having a sex symbol type character or two is fine, but when they start designing arbitrary characters' appearances for fanservice purposes it doesn't make much sense (like Olivia or the elephant in the room- Nowi). But again, I don't really feel too strongly about the whole fanservice thing, I just agree it makes for poorly done characters when characters designs and personalities aren't consistent.

The fanservice bit was directed only at Olivia, not Cordelia. I have no issue with Cordelia's character design, but rather with the character itself.

Oops, I meant Olivia not Cordelia. Fixed that, thanks.

Edited by Walhart

Fuck, you steal my punchline

Nosferatu!Cecil is the best

But

LA7dr8G.jpg

is better than the best

Deal with it

Gets doubled by every enemy in Chapter 21 Lunatic 0/10

Poll stats so far, sorted worst to best scores by (# of Most Favorite Votes-# of Least Favorite Votes):

Tharja -20 (yikes)
Nowi -7
Sully -6
Sayri -6

Miriel -2
Flavia -1
Panne +0
Tiki +1
Sumia +2
Maribelle +4
Lissa +4
Cordelia +6
Olivia +7
Anna +8
Cherche +10

It is no surprise that, for the most part, the most controversial characters (Nowi, Tharja) have the lowest ratings on this scale while the characters on the high end (with the exceptions of Olivia and Cordelia) are more neutral and generally harder to dislike. I mean, how can anyone really hate Anna or Cherche? Also, according to the results so far, WRT the more controversial characters, Olivia and Cordelia seem to be way more liked than Tharja and Nowi.

Edited by Walhart

Honestly, I don't see how it suits Tharja at all. Not even any better then Olvia.

In terms of personality, she is not sexually expressive at all. Even when she chases after Avatar, she never tries flaunting her body.

She just wants to be left alone with her particular flavor of studying and wants to stay out of harms way.

Something practical and comfortable would suit her personality way more. And it doesn't get much more impractical and uncomfortable then her outfit. (Seriously, that thing looks painful. And a fully bod stocking in a desert? *Shudder*)

Edited by BrightBow

Honestly, I don't see how it suits Tharja at all. Not even any better then Olvia.

In terms of personality, she is not sexually expressive at all. Even when she chases after Avatar, she never tries flaunting her body.

She just wants to be left alone with her particular flavor of studying and wants to stay out of harms way.

Something practical and comfortable would suit her personality way more. And it doesn't get much more impractical and uncomfortable then her outfit. (Seriously, that thing looks painful. And a fully bod stocking in a desert? *Shudder*)

I think it fits simply because it's remarkably different from the others (the closest are Oliva, who is a very different UNIT than the rest thanks to being a dancer, and Nowi, who's a manakete and is also quite different), marking her as someone who isn't like the rest of your party, but I think her Scramble conversation with Cordelia hints that she's not quite aware of how much she's showing? I haven't read that convo in a while, so I could be wildly mistaken. (The only thing I really remember about that convo was Cordelia constantly putting on and taking off Tharja's 'mortification remover' talisman and finding it fascinating).

Edited by Kat

The desert attire for Plegian mages makes sense to me imo (extremely thin clothing with a cape for wind protection), and given the lengths she goes to try and get MU, it always felt implied that Tharja would use her body to at least get his attention.

Again, this is for Fe13 standards only, so Tharja's character design in relation to her character isn't nearly as stupid as say, Olivia's, Nowi's, Cherche's, and Sully's.

The desert attire for Plegian mages makes sense to me imo (extremely thin clothing with a cape for wind protection), and given the lengths she goes to try and get MU, it always felt implied that Tharja would use her body to at least get his attention.

Again, this is for Fe13 standards only, so Tharja's character design in relation to her character isn't nearly as stupid as say, Olivia's, Nowi's, Cherche's, and Sully's.

Yah. I think Cherche and Sully's character design are actually alright...though I still can't understand why Cherche would have an open back in her costume. What.

Anyway, picked Cherche for favorite 1st gen female, and had a difficult time choosing for least favorite. Was debating between Sumia and Olivia, eventually decided on Olivia because her character just doesn't make any sense to me. And the moe/high pitched squealing.

Favorite: Cordelia. I thought she was a nice character, and I don't find anything wrong with her.

Least Favorite: Miriel, I just never found a use for her.

Anyway, least favorite female to me is definitely Lissa.

The first two chapters don't seem to serve much of a purpose but to make her look as bad as possible. Everything she says is whiny and painful to listen too.

Then during battle, she figures her sibling rivalry with Chrom is more important then saving the townspeople. "I am not delicate but I have messed up priorities." Be proud, Lissa...

Her absolute master stroke has to be, when she whines about having to camp during the night... in front of someone for who all we know lost his loved ones and got his house burned down.

Truly the "most loveable of the Shepherds"....

Her only saving grace is that I would be pissed off too, if I would be expected to run across forests and battlefield while wearing a metal ring with lots of pointy spikes around my waist.

Or maybe the ring is just some obscure sort of s/m gear, that she wears deliberately.

And I am quite upset that her character is such a waste. Even though she is supposedly a main character and has actual story appearances, as a result of Emmeryn's death she merely screams for one line and then sobs for one line. Then she immediately snaps back to her old self with no marks left:

Lissa: You can count me in! I'm tired of crying all the time. It's time to start punchin' stuff!

Considering how well this was handled with Mist in PoR (starting with the fact that she got right after Greil's dead an entire scene devoted to her, featuring only her and Ike), this is just a complete joke.

But hey, the game told that Emmeryn's death was soooo tragic. So no need to actually show it in some fashion. *sigh*

Otherwise, her actual contribution as a main character merely seems to be, to jump out of nowhere into a scene, deliver a single line and then disappear as if she never was there to begin with.

Like in chapter 13. Supposedly the scene features only Lucina, her mother, Marth and Avatar. And then suddenly... Lissa. No introduction. She just talks as if she had been there the whole time. It's so irritating.

Well, at least that one line confirmed after 11 chapters, that I was not the only one seeing the fireworks in chapter 2. Given everyones lack of reactions, I could have sworn it was just my imagination.

As for the best, i find it difficult to find a single character that isn't a complete joke.

Cherche may not have to many issues with her personality but it's difficult taking someone seriously who wears a frigging french maid headdress. Fetish pandering doesn't get much more blatant then that.

At least a bright red clowns nose would have been somewhat funny. And the rest of her outfit (what the hell is this thing?) doesn't help matters, as does her "Minerva says" routine. (Though admittedly her final line is the only time I smirked to a line that was actually supposed to be funny) I guess it's Say'ri then. With this cast, a lack of negatives is as positive as it gets.

Edited by BrightBow

I voted Maribelle for favorite. She must me one of the most complex, interesting and endearing character in the game. The way she fits right in the "spoiled little noble" cliché in her first scenes, just to prove this cliché wrong in her supports is really well written in my opinion.

Maribelle is a multi-facetted character : she appears very mature in her strong desire to become a magistrate and to demand equality for everybody but, at the same time, the way she considers refined behavior as the main point of someone's value depicts her as a very naive person.

Maribelle is a caring person but doesn't want anybody to think so, except Lissa. To that regard, she's not that different than Tharja, albeit less polarizing. What I liked about Maribelle is that her personality quirk is not overplayed, and she has a lot of backstory to offer. Add to that a wonky sense of humor (the way she plays with Brady and her husband is fantastic) and you have a really great character.

Honorable mention : Sully. That's the way a feminist character should be written in video games. She's not a girl that want to be as strong as a man. She's someone who wants to be as strong as possible, regardless of gender or social position (what's interesting is that she appears to me of at least some minor nobility but she almost never talks about it). The best possible candidate to be a queen ^^

Say'ri is my least favorite dame, but that's not saying a lot. I just found the way she was written not really interesting. She should be a key figure in the second arc and she never appears as a fully fleshed-out character.

Tharja -25
Nowi -10
Sully -8
Say'ri -7
Miriel -4
Flavia -2
Sumia +0
Panne +1
Tiki +3
Olivia +5
Maribelle +7
Anna +7
Cordelia +9
Lissa +9
Cherche +15

Lissa has gone up significantly and Say'ri has gone down. Cherche is running away with the favorite vote and Tharja is pretty uncontested for least favorite so far.

Edited by Walhart

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Balcerzak, May 9, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, May 9, 2015 - No reason given

EDIT:

Oops, forgot to look at the timestamp (I linked in from GameFAQs) and accidentally necro-posted…. I'm sorry sorry! I've deleted the text of my old post and replaced it with this apology, by I cannot figure out how to delete the entire post itself.

My apologies!

Edited by astrophys