The Soldiers of Fortune- Part One!

Wizard

A group of mercenaries, the best in the whole of Nashen...
The dead walking amongst the living...
A quest dared upon by many, but one that no-one has ever survived...
Welcome, to the Soldiers of Fortune, a group of mercenaries famed for their skill and wealth amongst the common folk. It is your very first mission, and most recruits do not survive their first...
You must investigate the evils of the Tower, where there are rumors of a dread necromancer is manipulating the minds and bodies of the recently dead... You have been contracted, along with a small group of fellow recruits, to kill this dread necromancer.
Setting: Nashen, a fantasy continent inhabited by elves, orcs, goblins and many other races.
How many players?: 6-8 players.
Hello! It's time to finally get this started!
Before we begin, I'd like you to copy your character sheet onto either your About Me page or your signature in a spoiler. That way we can easily keep track of your characters. I'd prefer for you to have them in your sig, but your About Me page is fine too if your sig is already pretty damn full.
(Note: You can leave out the Backstory of your character out of your character if you wish to save space.)
List of players:
TheWarpedWizard- As the gamemaster and Silas, the priest. And your gracious host.
Majestic Paladin- As the paladin Armstrong. He left.
Dandragon- As the swordsman Klaine. Currently playing.
Toogee- As Lucretia Dara, the archer. Currently playing.
Harkas- As Arton, the thief. Currently playing.
I Like Pi- As Flin, the Necromancer. Currently playing.
David the SecondWorld- As Gaile, the paladin. Currently playing.
Rules
1. When writing your actual RP segments, please do so in itallics.
2. If someone dies, the game still carries on. You can create a new character for the next part or when the group next visit the SoF's base, or help the gamemaster. (That's me, by the way. Your gracious host.)
3. The battle system is mainly RP based, but you will need a certain amount of a certain stat to perform most actions...
[spoiler=Example Scenario!]The orc barbarian is approaching, axe swinging wildly.
Do you:
A) Attack with your weapon? (Requires strength equal to or greater than weapon weight and a weapon)
B) Cast an attack spell? (Requires magic equal to the spells prerequisites.)
C) Raise your shield? (Requires strength equal to the shield's weight, and defense equal to or higher than the orc's strength)
D) Run like hell? (Requires speed greater than the orc)

That was the example used on the Sign-up thread.
4. Remain in character. This is kind of an obvious one.
5. Don't hog the spotlight! Give everyone a chance to be a hero.
6. Although the party has free will, I will guide you. Remember, your goal is to slay the Dread Necromancer- not waste gold on chocolate.
7. Occasionally, there will be full-on RP sessions where you might have to question a captive or persuade someone to give you information. These won't usually give you gold or magic items, but they will often give you valuable pieces of information.
8. There will be riddles. When I do use a riddle, don't look up the answer! I'll will be very sad.
9. No one-line posts! Have around five sentences per post.
Alright, here we go!~
You have been assigned your first mission as part of The Soldiers of Fortune, a infamous group of mercenaries that are spread across every corner of Nashen. You, and a group of four others, (six if Dandragon and Majestic Paladin are still involved) are going to be paid a large some of gold to kill the malevolent Dread Necromancer, Lexington Zakath.
The path will be long and difficult, of that there is no doubt. But with the cooperation of your companions, you will succeed.
You're standing in the courtyard of the Soldier's base, with your companions.
What do you think of them?
This is usually one of the first things that a gamemaster does. Pick two of the characters from the party, and roleplay as your character to describe them.
(The main reason I'm doing this is because I haven't heard back from Dandragon and Majestic yet.)
GO, YOUNG WARRIORS! GOGOGOGOGOGO- *cough cough*
G-go....

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucretia seems to be a wise and noble woman with an amazing skill with the bow. She is reliable and good-willed as she is the one who shall defend her people.

​Arton is a thief who seems to be reformed. Trustworthy and honest (at least so far as I've seen) I would say he is definitely someone I would like to keep around. I'd like to see what he is capable of.

*These thoughts run through Klaine's mind as he looks at his companions, hoping that he can rely on them all as he knows he can't do this job himself*

"Well, since we are all working together, let's try to get to know each other a bit better. I'm Klaine Drakseth, son of the...now dead blacksmith Truman Drakseth. I'm on a quest to look for materials and minerals to create the greatest weapons known to mankind. But enough about me, how about you guys?"

Edited by Dandragon

(Use speech marks, please. It might get difficult to distinguish what your character is saying and what he is doing, as this isn't just speech)

"I'm Silas... A priest. I need the money for the church... Those bastards destroyed it!" Silas, as he calls himself, mutters in a dark tone, "It was a church of Dreknar, the goddess of light and forgiveness." He sighs and returns to his thoughts.

"I-I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully the money we make can help rebuild the church." He has a look of sympathy towards Silas. "Tell you what, using some of the money I make from this job, I'll help you rebuild your church."

How can they let that Flin join us on this mission? We're going up against a necromancer! We can't possibly have another one with us... I have a bad feeling about this...

Gaile seems suspicious... His silence is kind of creepy... I'll keep an eye on him...

Lucretia, huh? I swear I've heard that name somewhere...

Silas scowls.

"I don't need any money from you, Klaine. I'll probably have enough from this job to fix the church up fine. Then I can collect money to fix the rest of the village!"

*Gaile glances at his new companions, two in particular catch his eye.*

We're working with a necromancer? I joined this group to end one necromancer, now I have the chance to end two...

That Silas is a priest, if anyone is to figure me out, it may be him. I must to be careful.

"You may call me Gaile. It's not a very common name, some of you may have guessed who I am, what I've done. Trust or distrust me as you like, I care not. I am not here for honor or glory, or even fortune, I am here to kill he who would use the worst of magic in the worst of ways. My reasons are my own, don't bother asking."

"Tell me, Gaile... Which god do you worship? I'd feel a little better knowing if fellow follower of Dreknar was with us."

(Feel free to make up a god, or make Gaile a follower of Dreknar. It's worth noting that in most stories, Paladin's are holy warriors, sort of a cross between a priest and a soldier.)

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

Hmph... A former Dreknar worshipper? Somehow, that makes him seem worse...

Who's that other paladin- Armstrong, wasn't it? He's pretty big... Ha...

"The rest of you... What have you got to say?" Silas said, "If we're to do this mission successfully, we need to at least have a vague understanding of each other..." He yawned, scratching at his messy, ash blond hair. "If you don't wanna tell us about your life, that's fine. But we need to know how you fight. I'm a priest, obviously." He gestured to the clothes under his cloak; he was wearing the holy symbol of Dreknar, a half-circle with a bolt of lightning through it. "I know how to use a sword fairly well, but I can't take attacks very well. I can heal you with the power of prayer, but I can't heal myself with them... Well, I would be able to if I was on a mission for Dreknar herself, but I'm not, so I'll need protecting, got it?"

"Well...I...The reason my father is dead is because he, along with my mother, were murdered by a cult. My parents refused to supply weapons for their 'holy crusades', as they called them...They took all the materials and weapons that were there, so I'm out to recreate what my father did..." Klaine seems visibly angry when he speaks this, but begins to calm. "As for how I fight, I prefer to hit fast and hard. I'll be the first to admit that I can be clumsy and get easily injured, so I hope you don't mind having someone who would like a healer close by." Klaine smiles as he says this.

"I'll keep that in mind. I know a bit of swordplay, but I'm not on the level of you or the paladins."

(I'd like to leave this open overnight for the other guys to make their posts)

Arton surveyed his companions, or they would be companions soon enough, and his thoughts immediately turned to robbing them blind. Well, everyone but the huge Paladin and the Necromancer that is. The Paladin looked like he'd be able to snap him in half if he tried anything and he didn't even what to know what the Necromancer could to do him if he got on his bad side.

"No, ma wouldn't be happy if you did that." Arton thought to himself in regards to stealing.

As he surveyed the others three of them got into conversation and he didn't realize it until they started talking about how they fight.

"I prefer to avoid fighting," Arton said casually. "But when I do fight I usually prefer to sneak up on the enemy and end them without a sound. It usually makes things less complicated if you don't suddenly have an entire horde of monsters on your tail because you were too loud when you took one of them down."

Edited by Harkas

Flin didn't know why he thought it'd be wise to join these mercenaries since his first "mission", as they called it, would be to strike down a fellow Necromancer. It's not like he was opposed to the idea of killing another Necromancer, he'd killed plenty of bandits so it couldn't be that hard, it was the fact that others were likely to believe that he'd turn on them or something. Besides, despite being a Necromancer he was that in name alone. His master had never taught him how to raise the dead or to control them under the belief that he shouldn't learn it as that sort of power was what generally corrupted Necromancers. The most Flin could do was cast Dark, sometimes referred to as Dread, spells and summon some bones; however, they'd only fall to the ground and sit there afterwords.

"I suppose this would be a chance to show others that not all Necromancers are evil," Flin thought to himself. "It's what master would've wanted."

He'd been following the others conversation in silence but now it seemed like a good time to speak up. "I fight with my magic, as you probably guessed, and as such I will need protection." Flin noticed a few suspicious looks pointed at him after he'd spoken so he elaborated. "Before you suggest I craft my own servants to protect myself let me tell you that for as long as our enemy is a Necromancer, I will not call any of my servants as there is a substantial risk of them being wrested from my control if I do."

With that said Flin opened one of the tomes he had on his person and began reading it. It was a sort of manual for up and coming Necromancers that detailed basic spells and whatnot. He already knew the basic spells but he was looking for some tips on how to summon the dead. He was dead set on learning how to summon and control undead to prove to his master, wherever he was, that he could handle that sort of power.

Edited by I Like Pi

Klaine looked over oddly at the book that the necromancer had pulled out. From his perspective, he could not see what was within the tome. He was also suspicious, not of the fact that he was a necromancer, but of the fact that he did not want to summon the dead. Wasn't that the main offense of a necromancer? Without it, was he merely just a warlock? Less even? He did not let it trouble him too much.

Walking over to the necromancer, he spoke. "Well, as long as you don't try to summon us if WE die, I guess I'm fine with that. And hey, maybe you could try to take HIS minions? ...Unless of course you're not powerful enough to do that...not that I'm doubting your power already or anything. So, I guess we can call each other partners?" He held his hand out for a handshake.

Flin looked up from his tome, doing his best to hide his surprise that someone had actually spoke to him, and saw that it was the Swordsman, Klaine if he recalled correctly, who had spoken to him and was now offering him his hand. He dog-eared the current page he was on and placed the tome back into the bag he kept hidden underneath his robes; it was a clever hiding place for things since in order to get anything someone would probably have to either knock him out or kill him. He hoped he wouldn't have to worry about that during his stay with the Soldiers of Fortune.

"Partners," Flin said as he shook Klaine's hand, a slight smile on his face.

While everyone was getting to know each other, Lucretia was hanging out in the back, making sure her arrows were numerous and sharp. That did not mean she wasn't listening to the conversations. Of those in the group, two caught her attention. Gaile made it quite clear that his only objective was to end the evil necromancer; nothing more nothing less. He didn't pour out his life story to the others or overly boasted about his battle prowess. Just a plain and simple objective. The archer could respect that.

She was concerned with Filn but not for the reasons the others may have been. As he declared that he wouldn't summon the dead as long as they fought against the necromancer, she wondered why. There was the case that the enemy might take control of his creations, but Zakath would have to be on the field for that to occur, wouldn't he? Lucretia decided to step out of the shadows and officially join the group.

"Do not suppress your strengths for our sakes," Lucretia said to Filn. "The enemy will make no such concessions." The archer then looked at the group and introduced herself properly.

"My name is Lucretia Dara of the Shenandoan Forest. I have a bow and will strike from afar. Get me somewhere high and I can strike down foes before you even know they're coming. Watch my back, and I'll watch yours. As long as I'm treated as your equal, we'll get along just fine."

As the only woman within the group, Lucretia felt that last point needed mentioning. She had heard of women in other parts of the world sheltered from the battlefield, treated as damsels incapable of defending themselves. The archer wanted to be clear that she wasn't one of those damsels. She did not travel all this way to be coddled.

Edited by Toogee

*Gaile continued to stand in silence, lost in thought*

Hm, I thought the necromancer was suspicious, but now there's a thief too. Between those two, the priest, and that reckless swordsman, I'll be keeping an eye on my teammates far too often.

Flin may have made one friend, but he has yet to earn my trust.

Lucretia seems to be a respectable and able warrior. Perhaps there is someone here I can rely on after all...

Flin shifted uncomfortable as Lucretia told him not hold back for their sake. He wasn't sure if it would be wise to tell the others that by not summoning undead he wouldn't be holding back. It would probably make him seem less useful to them, like just another spellcaster without anything special to speak of. The only problem was that it was true and he couldn't do much about it except hope that one of the few tomes he had on him would explain how to summon the undead and control them. Realizing that was the only thing he could do he reached back into his hidden bag and pulled out the tome again.

Before he started reading he turned to Lucretia. "I wouldn't dream of it," he said before finding his dog-ear and diving back into the tome. He hoped to find something by the time they made it to the Necromancer's lair. Besides, he had self taught himself how to summon bones so how hard could it be to control those bones? At the very least he could probably use his magic to propel the bones through the air like arrows if the need arose. The only problem was that it would give Zakath more materials...

"Dark magic is a lot more complicated without master here to explain things," Flin mentally complained.

Edited by I Like Pi

During these pleasantries, Silas remained silent. These people were strange to him, they trusted each other without consideration.

He would need someone he could trust amongst them too, if things turned rough...

"Before we leave this building, I would like to mention: anything within a miles radius of Zakath's tower can be raised with a spell cast by him. He has cast a sort of aura of death that stops anyone but him from creating zombies or skeletons. However, my sword and prayers can help you destroy these undead creatures with ease. I just need to take each of your weapons before we enter the aura of death to bless them with prayer magic. This will allow you to take down most unread creatures with a few hits. Now, does anyone need to buy anything from the merchants here in the Soldier's' headquarters?"

"For a priest, you sure know quite a bit about necromancers," Lucretia commented, looking to their own necromancer to confirm the priest's facts. At the mention of merchants, Lucretia made no movement towards them.

"I have everything I need. Let's get this blessing done and head out." The priest's blessing of light made sense to combat creatures of darkness, so Lucretia handed her bow to him. She watched to see what the spell involved.

(Itallics, pwease, or if you're on a phone and you don't know the code: it's Well, it doesn't matter that much, I'd just prefer that you do it if you can)

"I cannot do it right now. The strongest blessing would only last a few hours at most, so it's best to do it later... However... I can do a minor one, which wouldn't literally make the undead burn with white light... But it would cause them to die like a normal person would when you were to stab them- or in your case, shoot arrows at them." The others had been talking when Silas had mentioned this, but they stopped when he fell to his knees and began to pray. "Dear Dreknar, lady of light, forgiveness and fortune... My companions and I require thy hallowed might in our quest... A little of your holy might is all we need..." He then began to speak in a different language, his eyes closed and the silver symbol on his belt glowing.

When he was finished, he handed Lucretia her bow. "The blessing should last about a week. It'll allow you to destroy the undead easier. When we get within range of the Aura of Death, I'll apply the stronger blessing. That one will require all of my might, and afterwards I won't be able to heal very well without a particularly good act in the name of Dreknar- I'll probably have to stay behind and pray to re-empower myself, then catch up a little later." He looked at the others. "You'll find that all of your weapons are blessed too." He turned back to Lucretia. "When I have to stop and pray to regain my healing powers, I cannot be harmed. I'll have to stay in one area for about twenty minutes, so I'll need you and..." He looked around at the party, then settled his eyes on Flin. "...Flin to protect me. Flin should be able to use the spell Disrupt Undead in place of a weapon to destroy the undead at range. Is that acceptable?"

By Dreknar's left hand, where have I seen this girl before? Hmmm...

Flin nodded as Silas stated that prayer magic would be effective against the undead. Although that was very basic knowledge, even he knew that and he couldn't summon to save his life, quite literally in fact. With the mention of "the Aura of Death" as Silas called it, he felt like jumping for joy, which he didn't actually do, as it gave him a perfectly good excuse to not summon any undead.

As he was about agree with everything Silas had said the priest began to pray and shortly afterwards, or at least to Flin it seemed short; he was used to zoning out during prayers to any sort of god or goddess, everyone's weapons had been blessed. He could even slightly feel it on his master's staff which felt like pure darkness whenever he used it to cast his Dread magic. "I hope this doesn't affect my magic's potency," Flin thought to himself. It was bad enough he couldn't summon undead but if his magic was weaker that would be even worse! At least it would wear off in a week.

As he was mentally debating with himself over the potential weakening of his magic he heard Silas mention that he would be needed protection after they made it inside the Aura of Death and that he and Lucretia would be providing it. Lucretia with her bow and arrows and he with the Disrupt Undead spell. At the mention of the spell he smirked. "What irony," Flin laughed mentally. "That spell is the one I am currently studying from this tome!"

He looked up from the tome and offered his hand to the Silas. It's what Klaine had done when he wanted to make a deal so Flin figured he should do the same. "That sounds perfect," Flin said. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all...

Edited by I Like Pi

Silas shook his hand. "My thanks in advance. Although I am a priest, which should make us naturally enemies, I'm not naive enough to think that every necromancer in the world takes advantage of the weak... I'm also not naive enough to think that every priest in the world is good and forgiving..." He sighed. "Well, if everyone is done, we should set out on foot. It should take us five days to get there, so we need to hurry. If we dawdle, it might take us a lot longer. I have a pack horse to carry our tents and the like. Armstrong or Gaile should lead it, as they're the strongest."

"Alright, then. I'm ready to leave." As Klaine spoke, he thought to himself. "I should have probably told them how I am during battles...how my demeanor changes...they will find out eventually unless I hold it in long enough..." An uneasy look washed across Klaine's face for a moment. "I also never told them which cult lilled my parents..."

Edited by Dandragon