The Soldiers of Fortune- Part One!

Wizard

Arton watched Silas walk into the woods until he was sight. Once he was sure Silas was out of sight he stood up and dug through the bags attached to the mule. "I don't know 'bout you," Arton said to Flin, "but I'm starvin'." Taking the pot he placed it over the fire before briefly disappearing into the woods. About a moment later he came back with a container of sorts filled with water and proceeded to pour it into the pot. Quickly, he placed the meat (and a few herbs he kept on him for such occassions) into the pot and began to wait.

As he waited he noticed that Flin was kinda... staring at him. Or it looked like that at least. You could never be too sure with those Necromancer types. "W-What?" Arton asked. "I got somethin' on my face?"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flin sighed as he saw the priest walk off into the woods. 'He's more suspicious than I am, and I'm a Necromancer," Flin thought to himself. With Silas gone and the fact that he had finished memorizing the Disrupt Undead spell his attention drifted elsewhere. Particularly to the group's resident reformed thief, Arton. 'Without a doubt Arton is at least somewhat suspicious due to the fact that he's a thief,' Flin thought as he watched Arton scurry around the campsite. 'But not only that, his personality is bizarre at best. One moment he's extremely quiet and concealed and the next he's running around camp to make food. Interesting...'

Flin hadn't realized it but he'd apparently been staring at Arton the entire time he thought about him. It was only with Arton's nervous question that he realized as such. "Oh, um... sorry about that," Flin said sheepishly. "I didn't mean to stare at you." With that said Flin went to open his tome, he still had to figure out how to summon undead minions afterall, but stopped. "Hey Arton," Flin began, "where'd you learn to cook?"

Gaile had been laying on the ground with his eyes closed for a while, as if he was sleeping. In truth, he was lost in thought. He was waiting for the right time to speak up, but he had now grown impatient.

He got up and turned to Flin, "When a Necromancer is killed, what exactly happens to those he ressurected?"

Klaine looked at Silas, a bit surprised that someone followed him. "N-no...I'm fine." He stuttered as he went to find some logs to burn. Of all the people to go find him, it's that priest. I'd expect the thief, hell even the archer, but not the priest. He started to feel uneasy around him.

After collecting about four logs, he decided to head back to the camp. He began to head out of the forest.

Silas returned to camp with Klaine, more than a little uneasy about his situation. The other members of the group were acting a little strange around him, and he had already began to doubt his own ability to fight...

If all went well, the bandits wouldn't have much skill. They were probably just villagers with woodcutter's axes and pot helmets.

"Excuse me, Klaine?" The swordsman looked at him to show he was listening. "Could you take a look at my sword? It seems to be getting dull." Silas took out his sword and showed Klaine. It was a simple longsword with a slight glow about it. The hilt was bound in dark leather and their was a symbol of Dreknar on the pommel.

Lucretia thought about their coming battle, armed with new information from Silas. It would be far easier to keep the battle on the bridge, especially if they could capture one side of it. Overall, this would likely be the easiest mission of their quest so far.

While everyone else engaged in small talk and made some attempt to get to know each other, the archer decided this would be the best time for a nap. She would likely be up for guard duty later in the night. She would need to be well rested to stay alert. Lucretia laid upon the grass, facing the evening sky as she rested her eyes.

Klaine took the sword from the priest, examining it. After confirming it was indeed dulling, he took out a whetstone and began to sharpen the blade. Once finished, he handed the blade back to the priest, as well as a few whetstones. "All you have to do is quickly slide it across the blade why putting some force on it. These stones are specifically made to sharpen a sword."

After that, Klaine decided it was time to rest. He laid himself on the ground and began to doze off.

Flin nearly jumped when Gaile suddenly started talking him; but he still managed to stay calm."Well without the Necromancer's power to sustain them there are 'set free' so to speak. I use the term set free lightly because it doesn't usually apply to all of their minions," Flin said in a matter-of-fact tone. "I'm sure you're aware undead attacks which, despite common belief, aren't usually organized by a Necromancer. They're usually carried out by a dead Necromancer's artificial minions, meaning that some random bones were summoned, given life, controlled and eventually ran wild."

Flin paused to glance at Arton. He was staring into the pot,, oblivious to his surrounding. Turning back to Gaile he asked, "Although it's not my place to pry; why do you wish to know?"

"So what you're saying," Gaile said with a grim expression. "Is that even after we've completed our mission his minions will roam the land unchecked?"

Gaile did not like what he had heard, for more reasons than just that. But he did not say any more, now was not the time.

Edited by David the SecondWorld

"It depends," Flin said. "From what I've heard of him he rarely summons his..." Flin paused for the right word. 'They aren't are Necromancers like you,' he thought to himself. "His er, materials..." Flin said uneasily. It was hard enough having to answer questions he himself barely knew, but it was something else to try and explain it without sounding like some monster. "And since he seems to be preparing to be attacked we can assume he'll have all of his minions present. So with any luck, we'll free and destroy them all.

Klaine couldn't sleep. And all this talk about the necromancer caught his interest. He got up and sat down back at the camp.

"By materials, you mean the remains of the dead body he's trying to summon and control, yes? What I would like to know is could he recreate a body in peak physical form as if they were alive? Functioning organs and everything?" He had been meaning to ask this when he had the chance. He had to know when he would have to steel himself. He would rather not want his...condition shown to the group. He set out to be the more friendlier person of the group, not the maniac he was holding inside. And if this necromancer could summon humans in living condition under his control, then he would have to control it more often.

(can you get what im hinting at with this character CAN YOU?!)

"I'm not... sure," Flin said, starting to feel uncomfortable. "I mean, I'm sure it's possible but in order to tell you I'd need a lot of information on him. Things like personality, motives, magical ability. There's also a plethora of ancient artifacts, spellbooks, materials on hand..." Flin trailed off as he realized he wasn't really giving them a definite yes or no. With a sigh, Flin reached into his hidden bag and pulled out the third tome he had in his possession. It was quite a rare Dread magic tome and it even had a few spell incantations inside; it was easily his second-most prized possession, falling short only to his master's staff.

He flipped through most of the pages looking for the few pages that were in modern text; all the others were in an unknown language or, as Flin liked to call it, magic speak. Eventually he found the page he was looking for which detailed several powerful Dread artifacts. "I suppose it all comes down to whether or not he has this in his possession," Flin said as he pointed at one of the images.Turning to Silas he asked. "Silas, do you know if he has this?"

(I really don't know what would be suitable (other than a black cross or something) for an artifact so I guess it's on Silas now)

Edited by I Like Pi

I'm going to put it out there: Gaile and Klaine are crazy canibalistic murderers who like to hunt necromancers because they taste of win.

Er, anyway...

Silas yawned and looked at the Dread tome. "Rumours say he has something called the Mask of Infamy, a mask that when worn, grants great power- But you can never take it off, or Death himself will come for your soul." Silas shuddered. "Apparently, he had a young wife before he got his hands on the Mask. He was famed through out the land for him and his wife's good looks... But, they say..." He pushed the Dread tome away. "They say, after twenty years of having the Mask on his mantelpiece or wherever he kept it, he killed his wife because she had become too old and ugly. He put on the mask and used it's power to raise his wife from the dead as a vampire, and she gained eternal youth... Zakath still wears the mask, and it makes him immune to Death's grasp as long as he wears it. As for any other 'Dread' artifacts, it's possible that he may have a Skeleton Key in his possession. Those are created from the bones of your own body. He probably forced some poor soul to make one... Also, he may have a Raven Blade. They are used mainly by vampires because unlike normal swords, they are made of shadow. They can disappear and reappear in the wielder's hands at-will..." He sighed and returned to his thoughts.

I'm going to put it out there: Gaile and Klaine are crazy canibalistic murderers who like to hunt necromancers because they taste of win.

Er, anyway...

...Close, but no cigar.

"That Raven Blade seems pretty convenient...I was hoping to craft something with a similar ability..." Klaine became interested in this Raven Blade. However, he imagined he would become corrupt if he even touched it. "Speaking of crafting, I'd like to mention. If I ever collect enough materials, I could craft a better weapon or even make your current one better. It would help me practice being a blacksmith."

​Flin visibly paled when Silas mentioned the Mask of Infamy. 'Master always talked about that mask. He said it was among the most powerful artifacts and a blight on humanity but a boon for Necromancers. Are we strong enough to fight Zakath?' Flin thought to himself, doing his best to contain his worry. "Well then," Flin said as he closed the tome and put it away, "I suppose that's a yes to your question Klaine. It's rather horrible but it's the truth and there's nothing we can do other than stop Zakath."

After he'd said that Flin was about to reopen his tome when he heard Klaine mention crafting something similar to a Raven Blade. "That would take a lot of skill," Flin said. "Not to mention a Necromancer that would willingly help you with the task," Flin paused to take a look at the cooking meat, it looked nearly done so Arton would probably rejoin the conversation soon. "There's also some very rare materials you'd need for something like that. Actually," Flin glanced at Arton, "everything you'd need may be in his tower. I'm sure our resident thief wouldn't mind stealing those things for you."

"We can deal with that sort of thing after we defeat him. We might even just find one in the possession of a vampire or some other undead creature. Maybe a death knight." He shivered. "If we see a death knight... We would have to run. The only way you can kill a death knight is by killing it with it's own sword... And to make it drop the sword would mean we'd have to get right up near it... They're far too powerful." Edited by TheWarpedWizard

"Drop his sword, eh?" Klaine started to grin. "I wonder what kind of metal it's made out of. I could probably melt it down to make an amazing sword. That is if it's not one already. ...Say, those bandits are using axes right? Is there a blacksmith in the town? I could probably collect the axes and have the metal be melt down. If they'll let me." If there was one thing that could take Klaine's mind off of the fight, it's the weapons he could make. He could spend hours thinking about the style of the blade he could create. the hilt he could fashion, the hand guard he could make. And that Raven Blade...it's many blacksmiths dream to create a sword, or any weapon for that matter, that could be easily carried as well as powerful. And having it disappear and reappear at will? That's even better than simply turning into a smaller, easily carriable sword at will. His mind began to race.

(Well, this is a little dead...)

"They won't necessarily use axes, they'll probably have spears and swords too. A few of the poorer ones will probably use wooden clubs. And yes, there is a blacksmith at the village." Silas returned to chewing his beef jerky.

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

While the group slept, Lucretia awoke to take her shift in keeping watch. She may have missed getting to know the others, but there would plenty more nights for that.

If they survived tomorrow...

Silas lay on his front in his blanket, hunched over his a piece of parchment. He was using a small lantern to see it, and he was sketching the moon with his piece of charcoal.

He wondered if there would be Werewolves around the tower... It wasn't uncommon for a magic-user to kidnap a werewolf and force them to stay in wolf form permanently...

Werewolves had a better sense of smell than normal wolves, so they'd be able to smell it all over his body... They'd target him first.

Klaine began to dose off before he heard Lucretia get up. He decided it would be best to let her do the guard shift, she seemed to be the most awake out of everyone. Still, she hasn't talked about anything beyond wanting to be treated equally. Again, he couldn't sleep.

Klaine then looked up at the moon. It was nearly full. He decided to stay awake. He got up and walked over to where Lucretia was. "Hey. Mind if I join?"

The night was still, except for Klaine moving toward Lucretia. It was far better to have two guards, so she nodded silently in acceptance.

"You should rest. There is still traveling to do tomorrow, and a battle soon after," she said to Klaine, keeping her eyes on her surroundings for any movement.

Arton couldn't sleep for some odd reason. Maybe it was because of the variety of the group or maybe he was excited about getting into another brawl. He pondered this as he lay on his back and looked up at the stars. After a while of stargazing he shifted from his back to his side and put his arm under his head as a pillow of sorts. That was when he noticed the Necromancer, who seemed to be sound asleep. 'For a Necromancer he seems like a nice enough guy,' Arton thought to himself. 'I guess ma was right when she said not to judge a book by it's cover.' And with that Arton finally dozed off.

(Sorry about the late-ish post. Computer problems why).

Edited by Harkas

Silas looked up briefly. Klaine had woken up and was talking quietly to Lucretia. The others were asleep.

The priest looked back down at his sketch of the moon, and began to draw the finishing touches with his piece of charcoal.