The Soldiers of Fortune- Chat Thread!

Wizard

The actual thread: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42068

The original sign-up thread. This will be dug up in between parts to possibly bring in new players and/or replacements if people leave. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41457

Feel free to provide feedback, criticism and tips, non-members of the Soldiers.

This is where we'll talk to each other about character relationships, events, and possibly character deaths. Thanks!

~YourGraciousHost, TheWarpedWizard.

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

Lucretia, huh? I swear I've heard that name somewhere...

By Dreknar's left hand, where have I seen this girl before? Hmmm...

It seems you're heavily hinting that Silas knows Lucretia. May I ask how?

He sort of 'knew' her before the main story... He was travelling and was asked to help healing someone in her village, and they briefly crossed paths. He saw her skill with a bow, they spoke a little, and he learned her name from around the village. He left before they got a chance to speak again.

I'm still putting together Silas' backstory, but I know it'll involve him committing some kind of great crime, seeing what he'd done wrong, then went to the priesthood to attempt to redeem himself.

I think it'll involve something to do with people hunting him down, then when they found him, they destroyed the church and killed a priest who had a child in the process. He considers it his fault that this happened, and wants to adopt a child to raise as his own as redemption.

He sort of 'knew' her before the main story... He was travelling and was asked to help healing someone in her village, and they briefly crossed paths. He saw her skill with a bow, they spoke a little, and he learned her name from around the village. He left before they got a chance to speak again.

I'm guessing it happened when she was little then, because Lucretia doesn't know anything about it. I guess that makes Silas an old man :P.

For future reference, if you're going to do something like this that directly involves my character, let me know before you make it canon. I might have my own things planned for her.

I will. Silas is only twenty, by the way... He began travelling when he was sixteen, and the destruction of the church happened before he joined the Soldiers of Fortune. The original 'Silas' came from an old RP, and he was a necromancer, actually... Ah, the adventures we had... The amount of puppies that Erebus killed... Good times.

Maybe we should put down our character's ages on their sheets. It'd help for future reference.

By the way, did you create that portrait used on your character sheet? It's quite good.

so...about the battle system...

You said your character came from an old RP. Did it use a battle system? Or are we gonna have to DnD our way through this. Cause don't have any dice for that kinda stuff.

Edited by Dandragon

Right. I'm going to make a poll about this with the following question and choices:

Do you want the fight system to be stat-based or description-based?

1. Description-Based!

2. Stat-Based!

The pros of being stat-based:

•Things are very exact and you can plan your attacks.

•You can be efficient! *Smirk*

Cons of stat-based battle:

•Battles could drag on for days or even weeks if we're missing a player for a long time.

•Can be a tad unrealistic.

•It can be considered boring. (I don't like it, to be honest)

Description-based RP Pros:

•The gamemaster doesn't have to be there when you kill an enemy.

•Far less complex.

•Allows for better description during EPIC fight scenes.

•Fights might last only a couple of hours tops.

Cons of description-based RP:

•Not everyone is good at description. (Mainly me)

•Players *could* god-mode and kill things with a stone. Or something. Googoo.

•Can get a little tedious.

Please vote, friends. If stat-based comes out on top, I'll pitch you my idea.

Stats will still be used in description-based, but won't be strictly enforced. For example, your Mage with 2 strength won't be able to shove over an orc. There would still be stat requirements to use certain weapons, run away and cast spells, though.

couldn't we just...combine the two?

like in Dungeons and Dragons? i dunno

EDIT: majestic paladin might be gone i guess, i dunno if he hasn't responded

Edited by Dandragon

The thing is, in D&D it is mainly stat-based. If a orc scores a lucky crit against you and your character dies, you can't RP your way out of it.

Majestic Paladin did respond to my PM, he just hasn't made a post yet.

In the RP Silas came from, we just RPd are way through everything. We didn't have classes or stats, we just described what we did. Maybe we should do that, but still have stats requirements to wield/wear/cast stuff...

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

By the way, did you create that portrait used on your character sheet? It's quite good.

I did a few years ago. I have a bunch of them just lying around waiting to be turned to RP characters.

On the battle system: I want exactly what was described in the signup thread: "The stats are not actually used for dice rolls or anything, they are simply used to determine how a fight goes, as this is mainly RP based and not stat-based. For example, doing certain actions may require a certain amount of a certain stat. Say, running away from battle may require you to have at least 5 speed"

Use the five stats to determine how an action goes and write a post around that. Not sure which system that is, but that's what I want.

I did a few years ago. I have a bunch of them just lying around waiting to be turned to RP characters.

On the battle system: I want exactly what was described in the signup thread: "The stats are not actually used for dice rolls or anything, they are simply used to determine how a fight goes, as this is mainly RP based and not stat-based. For example, doing certain actions may require a certain amount of a certain stat. Say, running away from battle may require you to have at least 5 speed"

Use the five stats to determine how an action goes and write a post around that. Not sure which system that is, but that's what I want.

^Pretty much exactly how I feel as well.

Klaine couldn't sleep. And all this talk about the necromancer caught his interest. He got up and sat down back at the camp.

"By materials, you mean the remains of the dead body he's trying to summon and control, yes? What I would like to know is could he recreate a body in peak physical form as if they were alive? Functioning organs and everything?" He had been meaning to ask this when he had the chance. He had to know when he would have to steel himself. He would rather not want his...condition shown to the group. He set out to be the more friendlier person of the group, not the maniac he was holding inside. And if this necromancer could summon humans in living condition under his control, then he would have to control it more often.

(can you get what im hinting at with this character CAN YOU?!)

God... dammit... Dan...XD

I go out of my way to drop subtle hints such as my character's fixation on the necromancer/necromancy, general ambiguity, and other things that I had planned, all leading up to a certain twist.

Then you come up with the same(or at least a very similar) twist out of nowhere, and made it completely obvious.

I'm a bit frustrated, but I'm also laughing my ass off.

...Luckily, I made Gaile ambiguous enough that I can think of something else.

Edited by David the SecondWorld