Worst mini games / sidequests

AlliedG

What sidequests / minigames just seemed to take up way too much time or you just found way too frustrating in comparison to perceived reward?

FF9 - Ozma chocobo thing

FFX - Chocobo race / lightning dodge for Lulu weapon

Tales of Graces f - grinding for shards for shop request / eleth mixer maxing

Vanquish - challenge maps

Some that come to mind.

Edited by AlliedG

Romancing Saga 2- Toma Quest one screw up or even one instance of you leaving the area of the quest can really screw you over and it has many bad affects later in the game found out the hard way. Reward two new classes avalible for recruitment

FF5- Getting the mime job that underwater place you are timed so gotta hurry and Gogo eats up much time don`t attack him!

Tales of the Abyss - Getting the secret artes for each character. You'll miss virtually all of them without a guide, and most of them are time sensitive and permanently missable.

Persona 1 and Persona 2 (both games): Wait for a demon contact and keep it going with alternating happy/angry responses six times, until you get asked a fool question in a 1/32 chance. You get one fool tarot card on success. You need 10 if you want to create every fool persona.

Mario Party - ANY "rotate the control stick" minigame. Skateboard Scamper as well. Slot Car Derby, too (it gets even worse in Mario Party 2).

Tales of Vesperia - Secret Mission 17 (Use Rain to cause Yeager's heart blastia to explode after breaking his guard). Enough said. Made worse by the fact that you need to complete all Secret Missions in one playthrough for one of Yuri's titles. Secret Missions 13 and 18 are problematic as well, requiring you to hit the boss while they're exhausted from their Mystic Arte (particularly 18). Also, getting one of the characters' strongest weapon requires a long chain of events that starts before the character in question joins - of course, you wouldn't know that without a guide.

Edited by Levant Fortner

100 gold skulltulas. Or however you spell those. Curse you, spider curse! Also the gold fin in the same game.

Escape from Monkey Island.

Everything about Monkey Kombat. You! Are! NOT! Prepared! This part has to be the worst game-anything.

Technically it's not a sidequest, though.

So in case it has to be optional, I guess every sidequest in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin should count. Yes, all of them. Well, most of them.

Maybe the quest system itself should count.

Most of them consist of finding one or several items. The kicker is that there is not the slightest bit of direction on where to get them.

Most of the time, it's a random drop from an enemy. But this is a game where a zombie can drop ice cream. There is no way to narrow it down and there are tons of different enemies.

And just to screw you over in case you really were crazy enough to kill every single enemy in the bestiary thousands of times over,

the item might be in some secret room. So you would have to hit every single wall, roof and floor too.

And even if you were given directions, it would still come down to enter and leave the same room over and over just to kill the same enemy.

And to think that fans of these games complain that Mirror of Fate was too short. At least that game doesn't make you run around in circles for hours like a fucking idiot. That's no fun and no challenge.

But the absolute pinnacle of bullshit is that the system only displays 5 quests at once.

Before it allows you to "solve" new quests on the list, you have to finish one of the ones displayed. So it can easily happen, that you finally managed to "solve" one of the 5 "collect random crap" quests just for the game to suddenly drop tons of rewards at you, because the next few quests are all stuff whose requirements you filled ages ago or simple require you to press a series of buttons.

And storyline wise it makes no sense either. You are supposedly being tested by a former hero.

Yeah, genius. If I prove I can survive in the castle without his toys, I get his toys.

But more importantly, what do I proof by killing the same critter over and over and hitting every single wall in the castle?

Gullibility? "Castlevania: PoR is such a awesome game, I spent 100 hours on it." Yeah. And 95 of them wasted.

Edited by BrightBow

I liked Vivi's Jumprope from ff9. I spent more time doing that than anything else in the game tbh.

I also love blitzball. My FFX has about 700 hours dedicated to blitzball

Then FFX-2 came and Ruined blitzball by making you a manager as opposed to a player. Suckkkkkkkks.

Timed missions in Borderlands 2. Fucking dumb.

Anna's paralogues in Awakening. Also, Donnel's on lunatic mode. I wouldn't use Donnel on Lunatic anyway, but I'm quite sure it's literally impossible for him to get a level up in that chapter (maybe attempting to surround an archer would work, but I haven't tried it since it's usually too dangerous).

Forts in Assassin's Creed III. I could never find a way to sneak in (really easy in the previous titles), and on top of that the fucking guards NEVER STOP SPAWNING. I remember having like 15-20 guards chasing me at several points during my playthrough. God, this game was annoying.

Collecting the trophies in Batman: Arkham City. So many problems--too many to list.

There is a certain race in AC:Brotherhood with the full sync requirement to be 60 seconds

Which by itself isn't bad but

There's archers all over the roof so if you even slow down to make sure your turn was precise or something they could catch up to you and shoot you down

It took me about 20 tries for the full sync version and I finished right on the 60 second mark with no margin for error it was painful and I ended up going on an archer murdering spree afterwards to feel better

Brotherhood may be my fav but some of its sidequests makes me want to murder things

Luckily AC is great at letting me murder things

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Dragon age 2 - You can miss your companions armor mods. But even if you actually earn them all, they dont do much either. They add useless bonus and the armors still look the same. Heck, what is the point?

Pokemon Ruby - The fishing mini game, nuff said...at least fishing in harvest moon gives you fish to cook/eat/gift/sell....minutes of wrestling with the rod in ruby gives you a magikarp...

Edited by Char

judith's spear.

seriously, how would you know what to do without a guide? especially considering it takes a VERY long time..

Exactly why I mentioned that one. It doesn't help that it starts LONG before Judith herself joins (which is at the end of part 1 of the game). Also, Vanji Lost.

Gonna go through all of my games.

FF13 - Getting the achievement for having every item in the game. Easily. Far too much Gil grinding.

FF13-2 - Yassif Maschif 100 and 110 AF. In fact, any side quest in that area falls under retarded. The third side-quest in Augusta Tower 200 AF can also die.

Borderlands - Probably anything on both Rust Commons.

Borderlands 2 - That sidequest when you blow-up a loader at the start of the Bloodshot Dam. It makes you traverse that damn dungeon again. Lighting the Match is another one for forcing a trivial rerun of Three Horns.

Fallout 3 - Those. That easy. Fuck fire ants.

Too lazy to continue.

To hell with this thing.

Oy vey >_<

Also, I forgot about getting Cheria's Rita costume in Graces F. Man, that was a headache and a half.