Worst mini games / sidequests

AlliedG

All of the optional stuff in FFX. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that you need to do them a ridiculous amounts of times or fulfill ridiculous requirements with them to get the best stuff (if you care about fighting the optional bosses). Seriously, 300 Blitzball matches? Dodging lightning 300 times in a row? Butterfly catching? Winning a chocobo race in 0.0 seconds? Whose retarded cousin came up with this shit?

Why does everyone hate on those things? Except the dodging lightning. Without emulator I'd never succeed at it, and with save states it just becomes this boring thing of how often to hit save and how many dodges will I lose each time I don't reach for the save state before I get hit. But the other stuff was kinda fun, though I may have "cheated" on the chocobo thing and the butterfly thing a little with save states. I don't remember. But blitzball is kinda fun. For a little while.

what pissed me off about chocobos and I think I remember save stating for was that your starting position was random a bit. I think. Like, you could start closer or further from the first couple of good things to run into and if you didn't get a good start you were screwed. So if 2/3 of the chocobo starts has you d.o.a. then might as well just save state on a good one and load from there. But actually doing the race was good fun when I had a chance.

Also Flying Machine 2.0 and the tank mission are now the only things between me and 100% sync of AC:Bro

Except they're super balls hard to do at least with keyboard/mouse controls and I don't own a controller

Anna's paralogues in Awakening. Also, Donnel's on lunatic mode. I wouldn't use Donnel on Lunatic anyway, but I'm quite sure it's literally impossible for him to get a level up in that chapter (maybe attempting to surround an archer would work, but I haven't tried it since it's usually too dangerous).

I see your mention of Donnel and Anna's paralogues and raise you Inigo's paralogue. Gyaah, what a pain. First, you have Griffon Riders and Dark Fliers attempting to sandwich you from the north and south. The fort itself has almost everyone with ranged weapons... in a game where if it's not magic or a bow, ranged weapons aren't exactly effective for the most part. The kicker? On Hard mode and above, everyone's toting forged weapons. All this in a map where your recruitable happens to be a sword user - I refuse to believe that's anything but a dick move.

Wakka's slot IIRC

Persona 2 - EVERY SECRET PERSONA THAT REQUIRES 100+ BUTTON PRESS EVER

Harvest Moon - That swimming mini game still gave me nightmares

Castlevania AOS - Getting Alraune or Flying Fish. Especially the fucking flying fish

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Gold Skultula Hunting. The reward wasn't even worth it. Damn it, I spent a lot of time hunting skultulas.

Edited by Yay

oddly, i don't normally find myself bothered by minigame/sidequest quality in and of itself in terms of judging what constitutes the "worst". what really bugs me is the volume of such distractions in a game - not necessarily measured in direct comparison to the volume of main game content, but i guess in terms of a general feeling of being overwhelmed and swamped by pointless side shit. for example, modern Pokémon and Kingdom Hearts come to mind as severe cases of having far too fucking many minigames and side distractions, and no amount of main gameplay rewards in the world can change that really

a few minigames are nice in moderation, but there's a point where it gets ridiculous and these two have well and truly crossed that threshold

though in terms in singular minigames, for me, nothing tops the Wi-Fi Plaza of Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver

not in the frustration or difficulty sense (though i guess the minigames therein fall under those categories too)

more in the why the sweet almighty taintchafing fuck does something so irrelevant and insipid exist sense

Edited by bookofholsety