So is Smash Bros really just a kid playing with their toys?

IceBrand

Melee takes it another step and considers them trophies.

But yeah, this is why Smash Bros. breaks canon.

Could you imagine how much fan speculation would be rampant if they weren't toy's then later trophies, it would make all the old Zelda timeline discussions look sane xD.

If Master Hand and Crazy Hand represents a child playing with his toys, then who is Tabuu supposed to represent? The child's parent?

But yeah, this is why Smash Bros. breaks canon.

Why does every videogame series have to have canon? After all, there is no such thing as canon in the Marioverse.

Why does every videogame series have to have canon? After all, there is no such thing as canon in the Marioverse.

Not completely true, Mario Party 1 was canonically won by Wario according to Mario Party 2 :P

Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door is after Paper Mario 64 because Bow makes an appearance at Poshley Heights and Parakarry makes a cameo.

Not completely true, Mario Party 1 was canonically won by Wario according to Mario Party 2 :P

Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door is after Paper Mario 64 because Bow makes an appearance at Poshley Heights and Parakarry makes a cameo.

Those aren't main series Mario games though.

If Master Hand and Crazy Hand represents a child playing with his toys, then who is Tabuu supposed to represent? The child's parent?

- Philosophy

- Smash

They probably don't mix, but here goes. I think Tabuu is the child's maturing mind, which sees the trophies as mere objects.

I'm pretty sure M&L Superstar Saga comes before Partners in Time and that comes before Inside story.

anyway the kid who plays with the "toys" has grown up from 64>Melee>Brawl.

Why?

He's playing some MGS, Sonic, and Megaman games instead of stricly Nintendo!

- Philosophy

- Smash

They probably don't mix, but here goes. I think Tabuu is the child's maturing mind, which sees the trophies as mere objects.

The controlling of other characters could easily refer to the debate on free will in contemporary philosophy; to be more precise, it may be in support of the deterministic view on free will. The deterministic view on free will states that all of our actions have been decided prior to us making a choice on them, and therefore we do not have free will. That is, since we cannot decide our actions, how on earth can we have free will? For example, does Marth have free will when I make him do a charged B attack, or a charged forward smash? Doesn't seem likely. He can't do otherwise; he can't choose to do another action--I'm the one making him do what I choose, and he isn't doing what he wants to. So Marth in this case seems more like a puppet than a being with free will.

Of course, the aforementioned view is compatible with compatibilism (no pun intended). Compatibilism is a linguistic, or a semantic, game of sorts which suggests that even in a deterministic universe such as Smash, one can have free will. This is possible as follows: some compatibilists say that free will is the ability to do otherwise. And even if a deterministic universe is true, people still have the ability to do otherwise. I personally don't see this view as convincing. Peter van Inwagen makes a convincing argument against this in "The Consequence Argument." He argues that if a judge could not have chosen to not raise his hand at time T, then it follows that he cannot do otherwise, and he therefore does not have free will. This does make sense because it doesn't seem likely for the judge to do otherwise if his action was predetermined.

But this argument doesn't work well at all for the compatibilists who believe in free will in any other sense. Free will may simply be the ability to self-reflect prior to doing an action. Regardless of actions being predetermined or not, it's still true that all of us can self-reflect prior to doing an action. So Marth, for example, can self-reflect prior to doing that Forward + A smash attack even though I'm making him do it. If one takes that to be the definition of free will, then one can take for granted the existence of a deterministic universe and free will.

Not really.

Edited by Chiki

once there was normal kid who beat up toy

but thebn he did not FORWARED CHAIN MAIL and became an GOSTE whith nothingleft but hand

parrent sees and and say "oh shit there is GOSTRE here" andnlock door

so child beats up toys in room

forevar

Tabuu is just another toy. The toy you make into the bad guy.

Canon happens because a) it's fun to talk about b) in a series, it's great to see an accumulation. like to see that games are building to something. In crossovers, canon shouldn't be the focus though, unless a game in the series directly follows it up.

Tabuu being the parent makes more sense to me what with the cutscenes near the end of the Subspace Emissary regarding the hands and such... in general the whole plaything idea is kinda lulz haha

@Chiki that was way too dramatic ._.

• 2 weeks later...