What is TearRing Saga like??

Naglfar94

Well I finished FE1 not long ago and played through BS Fire Emblem Akaneia Senki so now I`ve played and finished every classic Fire Emblem in the series except this game. So being that this is the last classic FE game and it was done by Shouzou Kaga what is this like? like gameplay,difficulty etc. I know this game must be pretty good since it was done by Kaga and all I found his FE games to be very good and they had a special feel to them. I want to play this TearRing Saga soon so I want to know what is the same,different or better in this title.

It's the lovechild of Gaiden and Thracia 776 in a way, with a bit of Genealogy of the Holy War on the side. If you played either Gaiden, Sacred Stones or even Awakening, you should be at least familiar with the map interface this game possesses. Runan's chapters play closer to typical FE chapters since they're linear and he doesn't have the freedom to move around the map much, while Holmes' group can grind at your heart's content and find treasure. Closer to Gaiden than Sacred Stones, both parties have different set of units, though unlike Gaiden, you can trade units and ressources three times during the main story.

Much like FE1, not everyone can promote. This is especially the case for most staff users, Thieves (I'm including Garo the Pirate and Maerhen the Boss into those) and some other classes here and there like the Woodshooter, the Witch and the Dark Knight. Both Lords can promote, fairly late in the game. Promotion works similar to FE4, as you don't restart back to level 1, though it has the added perk of giving bonus levels the later you promote. Another thing it borrows from FE4 is the way to calculate stat caps, which is base stats +15, though the lower growths will generally prevent you from reaching those often.

Skills are learned innately, by levelling up, by promoting or by visiting tutors who essentially replace manuals. A good number of them are essentially renamed FE skills, such as Heaven Saint being Sun Sword/Sol, but they did tweak out some and added Fighter skills to help units better fight on X terrain.

Difficulty's not that high, but it may take some time to get used to. Doubling is a bit harder (5 AS) and enemies often carry good weaponry and shields, which saves them from their generally bad stats. Few units can reliablly kill and survive early on, but some units get out of it a lot faster than others.

There's plenty of events with the characters inside the game which raise their support values or allow you to get items. It's different from traditional support conversations but you have to be rather precise about them. The recruitment of one particular character demands a list of tasks to perform and you need a certain optional character to even keep her for more than a few maps.

Even the plot isn't too different from most FE games really, some elements of which came later in the FE series no less.

Edited by Woodshooter

ah interesting really sounds like a good game! I have to play this game! thanks for explaining s I was had no idea how Tearring saga was I just came across it by mistake while looking at some FE stuff and Shouzou Kaga. Thanks again! I will surly try this one out.

you're forced to split your team, so she's only going to be warpskipping half of those maps (which is, like, 4 maps out of 40).

40 maps!? that`s a lot of chapters!!! more than any other FE game I`ve played so this game will last long I like that. Warping can be a pain at times especially if I`m forced to to save villages etc. but it is only 4 maps so that is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the FE game it most reminds me of (at the moment anyway, haven't finished it) is FE3(it even has those little text descriptions in battles that FE1-3 had), though mixed with FE2 and FE4/5.