...why do so many people hate the DS games? Is it a bandwagon? Is it because they blame Shadow Dragon for almost making the series die? Is it because of the sales? is it because they're remakes? I honestly don't understand the hate. I personally enjoy both DS games so much. Mostly because their gameplay and difficulty are top-notch. The interface of it all is so sleek and awesome, with the top screen showing your character's stats and can be switched to a mini-map on the press of a button. The OST of both games is amazing. The multiple difficulties make them pretty challenging and replayable. Is lack of supports really that big of a deal when the rest of the game is so good, gameplay-wise?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are fine for me. Hell, FE12 is only second to FE13 on my list of favorite FE's.

My one gripe with FE11 is characters having iffy growths but i find it plays good asides from that.

fe12 bores me, honestly. The prologue pretty much kills any enthusiasm i had to actually play the maingame.

fe11's fine, probably among my favourites.

Edited by Essbee

people dont like shadow dragon because of lack of story and character development, but if you're looking for that you're playing the wrong series

Even then, the game is not all about strategies, rout enemies, clearing the objectives with "machines". Character development and supports are also important to me.

It's just a matter of preference.

people dont like shadow dragon because of lack of story and character development, but if you're looking for that you're playing the wrong series

Because I refuse to patch 12, it bors the shit out of me. That and the 8 part prologue until like ch5 requires such specific action on higher modes that it's not fun to me

I didn't play FE12, no opinion on that. While FE11 isn't bad, it felt lacking to me after starting with FE9 and all these other games with lots of character development and stuff. Plus, I hate killing off characters for the sake of getting other ones.

Just because you enjoy the DS games and can't see why other people don't like them, that doesn't mean that "hating the DS games" is a bandwagon. Seriously, PKL. ;/

Edited by Sangyul

11 was okay, but in comparison to the rest of the series it's not great.

12 refuses to patch for me so I have a fudge against it. Granted I beat the game, but I had no idea what was happening.

Shadow Dragon sucks

FE12 is awesome

Shadow Dragon doesn't suck :(. I agree about FE12 :P

FE11 is good and FE12 is amazing. I don't get why everyone hates them- oh wait, they don't have their precious 'character development'.

Agreed.

Both are fine for me. Hell, FE12 is only second to FE13 on my list of favorite FE's.

My one gripe with FE11 is characters having iffy growths but i find it plays good asides from that.

I used to hate that about FE11 way back then but once I got past that and realized that theres dynamic growths anyway, I got over it.

fe12 bores me, honestly. The prologue pretty much kills any enthusiasm i had to actually play the maingame.

fe11's fine, probably among my favourites.

Hmm, is it because the prologue is like a puzzle? I find the Prologue one of the most enjoyable parts of the game.

I agree so much.

Because I refuse to patch 12, it bors the shit out of me. That and the 8 part prologue until like ch5 requires such specific action on higher modes that it's not fun to me

Then don't play on higher modes and patch it >:@

I liked Shadow Dragon, I liked its simplicity. I haven't completed 12 yet.

*highfives*

also stupid side-chapter requirements

Not required.

Fe12 is great. i love the difficulty. i have a fun time with it.

Fe11 bores me. and i hate the gaiden requirements. it has a good soundtrack though.

*highfives on FE12*

What is it that bores you about FE11, if i may ask? Also, gaidens arent required.

I was turned off by SD because it forced you to sacrifice people and I didn't like that at all. I've never played New Mystery of the Emblem.

It doesn't force you to sacrifice people...you don't have to kill off your units if you don't want to. Visiting gaidens isn't required.

I didn't play FE12, no opinion on that. While FE11 isn't bad, it felt lacking to me after starting with FE9 and all these other games with lots of character development and stuff. Plus, I hate killing off characters for the sake of getting other ones.

Just because you enjoy the DS games and can't see why other people don't like them, that doesn't mean that "hating the DS games" is a bandwagon. Seriously, PKL. ;/

Well, I'm legitimately curious because I don't understand the logic behind the hate.

I think the gaiden thing is silly to use as an excuse to hate on SD because that isn't even forced. You don't have to kill off characters if you don't want to. Heck, if it weren't for SF, a lot of people wouldn't know about gaidens. I sure didn't know about them back when I played SD for the first time.

@ Othin- the game was made with the Prologue in mind. Would you rather start the game with everyone as a scrub in Ch1 in Lunatic?

Edited by PKL

Most Fire Emblem characters don't really have that much character development nor do they really do that much through the story. Which isn't that surprising considering this is a series with dozens of characters and permadeath.

Anyway, SD could have done side chapters differently, although I do say Nagi's chapter was the best.

Theres something about Shadow Dragon's interface that make it unenjoyable. This same thing can be said for Sacred Stones

Granted the first time I played Shadow Dragon legit was when I was sick, so its kinda messy

Oh, and I hated that game's H5 because chapter 1 and chapter 2 is harder than FE13 Lunatic. Sue me

As for New Mystery, I like the game, but I used to have a personal issue with this game because I got sick right after downloading and patching the game.

Its not until recently that I appreciate the ability to have a free reclass

tl;dr personal issues. Interface sucks.

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

...why do so many people hate the DS games? Is it a bandwagon? Is it because they blame Shadow Dragon for almost making the series die? Is it because of the sales? is it because they're remakes? I honestly don't understand the hate. I personally enjoy both DS games so much. Mostly because their gameplay and difficulty are top-notch. The interface of it all is so sleek and awesome, with the top screen showing your character's stats and can be switched to a mini-map on the press of a button. The OST of both games is amazing. The multiple difficulties make them pretty challenging and replayable. Is lack of supports really that big of a deal when the rest of the game is so good, gameplay-wise?

I think I'm one of the least concerned and into FE11. And this only about FE11, since I haven't played FE12 but I do think it looks quite interesting:

I think FE11 feels outright...bland, lifeless. Graphics (far from bad, but the colors just feel...urgh), outright non-existent character depth (coming from the most oblivious person to this aspect) and even the gameplay feels very limited in that it lacks Rescue and traditional supports (seen in FE6-10 & FE13). The difficulty doesn't feel very appealing, either. H5 reminds me of FE13's LM- They just throw in a bunch of buff enemies and call it a day.

The rest of the series is more like junk food-uncomplicated but at least appealing. Shadow Dragon is like eating cardboard.

FE11 is good and FE12 is amazing. I don't get why everyone hates them- oh wait, they don't have their precious 'character development'.

The only thing separating fe from any other strategy series is that you're supposed to be controlling an army full of characters that aren't each totally faceless, and hopefully actually have something to them.

The characters are actually kind of important