• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between "playing for character development" and "having preference in what units you like based on things that are not always relevant to their statistical value". A lot of people like Mia because she's a bouncy cheery female Myrmidon, when that class is nearly always relegated to the collected "am I cool yet, oh god I'm so cool" kind of character. Having flavor in the characters is no different to nice aesthetics, people's personal investment and interest just goes up if multiple factors click.

I don't know if I'd say lack of story / character development / decent graphics / etc. are the main reasons people dislike SD, but they aren't negligible imo; presentation matters.

For me, the gameplay just got stale pretty quickly in FE11. I'm not that impressed with the non-essentials in FE12, but a) FE12 is actually fun to me and b) IS at least tried to glam up FE12.

weren't you just saying in the Awakening forum how FE7/8 were better than Awakening because their characters were better developed?

hmmmm

I said the characters in FE7/FE8 were better than the characters in FE13. :P

Don't turn this around on me.

Edited by ZMeister

What it boils down to in the end, we all love certain FE's more then others. We all have our reasons be they logical or silly. In the end its the players choice to which FE's they like and what they like about them.

Whether it be the characters the story, the way gameplay was handled. All of us find different values in each, at the end of the day you get the various differences you see.

I feel like I should clarify the difference between character development and developed characters. The former involves a character having a character arc, overcoming a flaw and growing as a person (eg. Elincia) and the latter is any character with a clear, not-defined-by-a-single-gimmick personality (eg. Matthew)

so where do all the male characters fall in this then

moobs and ass

I mean, pretty much the only reason to recruit Oliver is his fanservice potential.

Favorite FE game: Blazing Sword

I suppose that's for other reasons than the characterisation, then?

Those days when people played games for the gameplay are long gone, I guess. :(

Coming back to this but, think of like ANY game where you pick your characters. Do you really think it's unreasonable that people's preference of characters they like using/learning with is influenced to a degree by the character's appearance and personality?

I mean, I've played fighters competitively for years, and I pretty much always try to pick characters who have lots of flexability, tools to deal with any situation etc, I like the aspect of always having an answer/making the opponent second guess. But there are plenty of other characters in these games where I might like their aesthetics, whether its their design, attacks themselves, or their personality and mannerisms, but just alt them or don't really play them because I don't like their actual playstyle. For some people they'd get into the game BECAUSE they think those characters are cool, and they how to play and come to love a playstyle because of it. That's not wrong, games aren't just "mechanics", where everything else is irrelevant, or we'd just chug numbers instead of actually playing games.

Being solely interested in mechanics and their interaction isn't wrong either though. I'd probably argue it's overall the most interesting thing about a game because concepts exist there that are unique to games as a medium. However, it's a bit unfair to expect EVERYONE to be exclusively interested in a game's systems and interactions and not let anything else colour their opinion.

Edited by Irysa

Favorite FE game: Blazing Sword

I suppose that's for other reasons than the characterisation, then?

It's the one I find the most replayable, HHM is among my favorite FE difficulties, and other silly reasons.

the latter is any character with a clear, not-defined-by-a-single-gimmick personality (eg. Matthew)

But FE keeps on having characters who aren't like that. Even Blazing Sword had Guy (Who is Ash Ketchum as a Mymidon). Or the Tellius games with Ilyana (and unlike Guy isn't really a good unit).

Edited by The Void

But FE keeps on having characters who aren't like that. Even Blazing Sword had Guy. Or the Tellius games with Ilyana (and unlike Guy isn't really a good unit).

It's unfortunate, but they can be safely ignored as long as they're in the minority. The fact that they're apparently in the majority in Awakening bodes ill for the series imo.

I really liked 12. Its Lunatic mode was, for me, one of the most well-done difficulty modes in FE.

11 is not awful gameplaywise, though I don't like H5's earlygame so other than my first run of H5 I haven't done it since.

I disliked the fact that FE11 had no rescue function, I was extremely used to it. The story line felt flat and not very interesting. I literally didn't care about anyone. Dodging sucked. I wasn't very interested in the villains. The characters felt flat. I dunno, reclassing was fun (swordmaster Merric with a Levin sword, yay) but that got boring too. I just didn't have the motivation to return to it.

Those days when people played games for the gameplay are long gone, I guess. :(

skip all the cutscenes set the text speed to max turn off the animations warpskipping and jeigan abusing SPEEDRUNNING ALL DAY E'RY DAY

but really i do find it hard to read through all of the cutscenes that i've seen before

Stares at FE7!Pherae

Stares at Ylisse

Stares at FE8

Yeah right. I don't see whats wrong about the GBA characters when compared to FE13.

Gonzalez is the best just saiyan

a lot of people like ____ because boobs and ass

that's where FE11 fell short. not enough boobs and ass.

tumblr_m48g8goQsJ1r1oesuo1_500.jpg

Fanservice did not get any more DISGUSTING than this

Also where FE11 lacks boobs and ass, they got tons of WINGS and SPEARS

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Shadow Dragon is fine. But a lot of things just confuse me.

The gaiden requirements are the most obvious example. Like, what's the point? Even if the point was merely that they exist to find replacement units, then why make them even harder to recruit then normal units?

And why introduce the weapon triangle in a game where every enemy uses a lance?

But New Monshu isn't just a lazy copy-paste from the original with tons of mechanics that it wasn't designed for.

The designers had such awesome ideas like actually giving Dragon Knights axes, now that they can actually use them.

The game still makes me shake my head a few times, though. Like, what they did to poor Cecil. And why keep Yubello the same when every other mage got amazing buffs?

And the BS Fire Emblem chapters were a particular awesome additon.

It really shows the difference between classes, when you play a map that was specifically designed for your particular team.

Like how even the low level knights can take way more hits then the Paladin Midia. While Midia herself relies on her high movement and offensive power. I think everyone at IS should play these maps.

Too bad the online locked chapters didn't match that quality. Yeah, playing with a bunch of Roros and hoping they hit something with their 50% displayed hit is so much fun...

Still, for both games, I really wish unit sprites would have gotten more differences then just hair color.

Especially when it means that every Paladin looks like Marcus of all people.

And they should have kept the support system from Monshu. Having to build supports without support conversations is the worst of both worlds.

Edited by BrightBow